Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Poor bobby.

Well maybe we can count on him to score in the playoffs again.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Do we really need a 7MM$ per year player for 29pts average the last 2 years?

I think Euge would answer no to this question.

Of course not, but that is not the question. Even myself, who is among the only ones to still defend Ryan, would "get rid" of his salary if it was possible, but it won't happen if there's no significant
salary coming back. Might as well appreciate the good things Ryan does while he's still here. He is not trash like some are saying, it's really a massive hyperbole.

In the Turris vs Zibanejad thread, I actually realized how much praise Turris got for his "playoffs heroics" but Ryan has 3 GWG just like Turris, difference is he did it in 25 games vs 42 games for Turris. I have rarely seen people praise Ryan for that.

And why was Turris given a break for the season he played injured? 30 pts in 57 games, which is a 0.53 PPG, exactly like Ryan last year (he had 33 pts in 62 games). Sure he had an awful season in 2016-17 but he more than redeemed himself in the playoffs. Without him, Sens don't get past the 1st round.

"He's consistently been our best forward and he's creating and been real strong on pucks," said Senators centre Kyle Turris. "Very competitive, battling hard, playing hard at both ends of the ice."
Turris said Ryan has raised his game in the post-season. "We need everyone to elevate, chip in and reach a new level in the playoffs, and he's the prime example of that," Turris said.

Overall, despite those 2 bad seasons he has a 0.61 PPG with the Sens while Turris had a 0.67 PPG (in more TOI/GP) and he got praise. So basically, the hate against Ryan is his salary. He is obviously overpaid but doesn't deserve as much crap as he has been getting.

Can we expect any production from Ryan?

Just looking at his worst seasons :

2016-17 : 0.40 PPG (0.79 PPG in playoffs)
2017-18 : 0.53 PPG
2018-19 : 0.57 PPG

If he can produce around 0.60 PPG I'll be happy, even if he is still overpaid.

Ryan is a flag pole for criticism around here on all kinds of fronts

1) HF Sens - Ryan is out of shape
Boucher - his testing the last two seasons is awesome. I couldn't be bothered to look the quotes up but they are there. look for them.

2) HF Sens - Ryan's lazy
he is one of the most physical players we have. I hate the hand injuries but they come from being in front of the net which is a quality this team really lacks

3) Ryan is an excellent play maker. All the "little" plays are there and yes they are easy to see.

4) What Ryan has lost is the ability to shoot. I guess 9 hand injuries does that to a guy. The reason he's out there for shootouts is because he can dangle.

5) if you rework his numbers with the prior two years they'd be much better.

I've seen evidence of him shooting more which is good. hopefully he has some 45+ point seasons left in him. he'll never be worth his 7.5 M again but that's a common problem when signing UFAs

1) Thanks, I didn't even know that

2) Yeah, Hits/GP since he's been in Ottawa suggests that he's been physical enough. Of course, players don't play the same way when they're dealing with injuries and Ryan has been doing that a lot the last 2 years.

3) Yeah, so many finesse/skilled plays that go unnoticed like vs the Flyers IIRC, just a sneaky puck touch on a follow through that almost had the Goalie beat but Pickard had a nice reaction. I notice a lot of scoring chances that happened due to a Ryan play. You'd almost need to be a video master (with the time to do it) and make a highlight package after every game to show the plays player did

4) Yeah he doesn't nearly have the same shot as when he came. It makes a forward less dangerous, just like when Kovalev lost his deadly shot.

5) Yeah will, eventually. Just looking quickly since 2013-14, only 4 forwards ith 500 minutes played (out of 32) have had a better P/60 at ES (Stone, Duchene, Spezza, Hoffman); 5th in primary points/60, 4th in GF/60...

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Get him the hell off this team

The timing of this reveals your agenda. Ryan was excellent last night, and has 5 pts in 8 games this season. Could easily had 1 or 2 goals and a couple more assists last night

I just end up asking myself if some people are attentive enough during the games...

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The timing of this reveals your agenda. Ryan was excellent last night, and has 5 pts in 8 games this season. Could easily had 1 or 2 goals and a couple more assists last night

I just end up asking myself if some people are attentive enough during the games...
Because when we needed him he was nowhere to be found. Now that we don't need him is managing to get some points. He could lead this team in scoring this season and fans would be like meh.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Because when we needed him he was nowhere to be found. Now that we don't need him is managing to get some points. He could lead this team in scoring this season and fans would be like meh.
uhmmm....last time we were in the playoffs...when you really need players.. .wasn't he our best forward? pretty sure my memory is working well....must be yours that is faulty

Reactions: Xspyrit

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
uhmmm....last time we were in the playoffs...when you really need players.. .wasn't he our best forward? pretty sure my memory is working well....must be yours that is faulty
Everyone saw how great he was but in the 4 years he has been here he was never that player. Each season he peaked at Christmas and was a no show the rest of the way. He did have A good playoff run.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Everyone saw how great he was but in the 4 years he has been here he was never that player. Each season he peaked at Christmas and was a no show the rest of the way. He did have A good playoff run.

your post was kind of silly

your response to Micklebot was worse. no man people don't know "what you mean" this is a message board and people can only react to your written word. read what you wrote and the reaction to it. you pretty much couldn't have been more off base

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
your post was kind of silly

your response to Micklebot was worse. no man people don't know "what you mean" this is a message board and people can only react to your written word. read what you wrote and the reaction to it. you pretty much couldn't have been more off base
You must be new to this thread.

It's been around for at least a few years now.

Another Mr Lizard

I heard he was Danish
Nov 19, 2017
I met him once. In Fat Tuesday’s in the market. Lovely guy, chatted for a bit and he signed something for my son who was wearing #6 when Bobby was. I wanted to chat a bit more but some drunken yob arrived and was telling Bobby how much of a :eek::eek::eek::eek: (rhymes with “front”) that Brian Burke was for not selecting him for USA. Bobby was visibly uncomfortable and I made my exit.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

I am fully attentive during the games, and still want him off the roster.

Disagree if you wish

If you are implying one solid game should change my opinion than give your head a shake

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I met him once. In Fat Tuesday’s in the market. Lovely guy, chatted for a bit and he signed something for my son who was wearing #6 when Bobby was. I wanted to chat a bit more but some drunken yob arrived and was telling Bobby how much of a **** (rhymes with “front”) that Brian Burke was for not selecting him for USA. Bobby was visibly uncomfortable and I made my exit.

Sorry, I was just trying to be affable. Sometimes I try too hard to be affable.

Reactions: Another Mr Lizard

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I get the NHL has become more reliant on skating but I'm surprised how enamoured people are with skating. It's the number 2 reason he gets flak and while I agree it is something that holds him back individually it isn't something that prevents him from contributing to the team. He makes a lot of small plays that support his linemates and they usually get over looked because they don't wow you. He's very much the opposite of Ryan Dzingel but a similar caliber of player but because one can skate fast and draw your attention for a couple of seconds he is nearly immune to any criticism.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Thought he looked solid last night.

I like the idea him being a key cog on the PP just because of his hands and passing ability.

I remember looking at the data in Boucher's first year here. Ryan's drop in productivity was almost fully the result of change in utilization. decreased ice, decreased 1 pp time....actually almost non existent 1 pp time.

it's early. the pp looks great and Ryan is contributing on it

Reactions: Xspyrit and Gesus

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan has been a revelation on the PP. It would be nice if he could look as good in other areas of the game, but having a top-10 PP instead a bottom-10 PP could be the difference between being a bubble team and gifting the Avs a top-3 pick, so keep threading those passes Bobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad