Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ryan said it himself, and Boucher talked about it at the beginning of last season: Ryan is more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. You can easily see that by the way he plays, he's more of a passer than a shooter and was that in Anaheim as well. The difference is that he was playing with an All-star quality playmaker in Ryan Getzlaf. That will naturally make you score more goals since all Bobby had to do is get in position to get his shot off and wait for a Joe Thornton-esque pass.

I don't see any way Ryan could score 30 goals on this team. We don't have anyone that can make plays like Getzlaf and our best playmaker (Turris) wasn't even able to get 30 goals out of him. Duchene is not a playmaker either, he's more of a shooter/in your face/ do it all on his own type of player which is why he usually plays better with complimentary players than very good players.

If Ryan plays with Duchene, which would not be a terrible idea, I wouldn't be surprised to see Duchene score more goals. If Ryan hits 20 this year it will be a massive win for the team. Hoping he can score 30 but at this point it's just not a realistic scenario. It's like hoping Dion Phaneuf would score 15 goals and play 1rst pairing again.

Weird, I always found that Turris was a rather poor playmaker.

IMO, EK, Stone and then Ryan were by far our best playmakers in the last few years.

Also, Ryan scored more in Anaheim and even in his first year in Ottawa (until he started getting injured I suppose) because of his shot. Heck, he had 18 goals in his first 41 games with the Sens (36 goals pace)

Reactions: Sensinitis

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
lol some posts are very perplexing. When you have an injury history, of course it's possible that you just reinitiate it or aggravate it. If you played sports and have been injured, it's possible that you have experienced that.

I got a knee operation and even though it is "fixed" in theory, I can assure you that some days it still hurts badly. It's weird but I also find that I'm not as good as I was before my operation. Maybe I am not "tough" enough :sarcasm:

Don't think it's possible because his shot is not as great as before (age + injuries). But I can see him pot over 50+ pts. IMO, he would do it easily on some teams playing with a lot of talent, assuming he doesn't miss too many games of course.

Just last year he had a 0.53 PPG, which is 44 pts per 82 games, so not even that far from a 50 pts pace, in an "horrible" season.
It doesn't matter what stats you show. Everyone in this thread believes Ryan to be one of the most underwhelming signings to date for this team. He was brought in to be an offensive leader but has been regularly outperformed by younger and more driven players. Every year it is a new approach with the same results. You can be baffled by his injuries but we are not. Players who are slow get in the way.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Weird, I always found that Turris was a rather poor playmaker.

IMO, EK, Stone and then Ryan were by far our best playmakers in the last few years.

Also, Ryan scored more in Anaheim and even in his first year in Ottawa (until he started getting injured I suppose) because of his shot. Heck, he had 18 goals in his first 41 games with the Sens (36 goals pace)

Turris was not a great playmaker but he was better than the other players Ryan played with in Ottawa (Brassard, Zibanejad) and he was our best playmaking center. Ryan and Stone rarely ever played together and that's the reason why I didn't mention him but clearly as you mentioned he is without a doubt our best playmaker. None of them equal a guy like Getzlaf though.

Ryan played some very good hockey here when he was paired with Turris and MacArthur After that he never really recovered until the playoffs where he was really good with Pageau.

Reactions: Xspyrit

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
He’s the oldest skater on the team and plays with zero passion or urgency. Not somebody I’d want to be around the youth. Give this loser limited minutes on the fourth line and send a message.

Reactions: robsenz

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Turris was not a great playmaker but he was better than the other players Ryan played with in Ottawa (Brassard, Zibanejad) and he was our best playmaking center. Ryan and Stone rarely ever played together and that's the reason why I didn't mention him but clearly as you mentioned he is without a doubt our best playmaker. None of them equal a guy like Getzlaf though.

Ryan played some very good hockey here when he was paired with Turris and MacArthur After that he never really recovered until the playoffs where he was really good with Pageau.

The thing is, he was paired with Turris and MacArthur five years ago.

I don't think it was playing with Turris and MacArthur that made him good (for half a season at a time) it was the fact that he was five years and multiple hand injuries younger.

Injuries and conditioning have been his downfall. For his first two seasons here, he'd come in hot, be a superstar for 40 games, then fall off a cliff. He did the same thing in 16-17, just in reverse because he had that huge chunk of time off before the playoffs.

I honestly don't know what I'd do with the guy. He's clearly more skilled than a lot of the other options we have, and he isn't going anywhere due to his NMC, so scratching him and causing drama may have an adverse affect in the room depending on what kind of dynamics are present. (I don't know, I'm not there).

If he didn't have that NMC, I'd waive him and loan him to the Idaho whoevers in the AHL.

I'm saying this assuming there is absolutely no market for him, even at half salary retained.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I think the adverse effect is worse for the kids seeing a guy play with zero urgency and who doesnt seem to give a flying f... about the team
I would scratch him for a week to send a message

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think the adverse effect is worse for the kids seeing a guy play with zero urgency and who doesnt seem to give a flying f... about the team
I would scratch him for a week to send a message

And yet Smith was waived. The hypocrisy is off the charts.

Reactions: robsenz

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The hypocrisy I was talking about was management’s, so yeah. I don’t think Smith is as lazy as Bobby though, he’s just not a very good hockey player and is slow.

Guys like Pagnotta have hinted at Smith being sent down as a Melnyk move, not a Dorion one. I think the explanation you're looking for is that the excuses for placing Smith on waivers probably were lies.

Even Melnyk knows nobody is claiming Ryan on waivers. Smith probably wasn't getting claimed either, but with a guy like him there's that 1 percent chance and I could see Melnyk wanting to leave no stone unturned if ticket sales were bad and we're supposedly slashing our player salary budget.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He’s the oldest skater on the team and plays with zero passion or urgency. Not somebody I’d want to be around the youth. Give this loser limited minutes on the fourth line and send a message.

Ryan tries. He blocks shots, he fights on the boards. He's just lost a step and all confidence in his shot.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a bad example for the youth on the team.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
While I just liked your reply and have been a Bobby supporter since Day I do wonder why he has never had a letter...veteran, highly skilled...yet nothing.

Makes me think perhaps he isn't the guy in the room that others look to and at this stage of his career he should be a prime example of what a Pro does.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ryan tries. He blocks shots, he fights on the boards. He's just lost a step and all confidence in his shot.

He doesn't try very hard at all. He gives up as soon as he has to face the minimum amount of adversity.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He doesn't try very hard at all. He gives up as soon as he has to face the minimum amount of adversity.

Just count how many board battles he loses in a game. Ryan loses more board battles in a period then Marion Hossa does in a season, and that to me explains his game perfectly - no will, no puck hunger, not physical, no command of the moment, no demand to be the difference maker

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just count how many board battles he loses in a game. Ryan loses more board battles in a period then Marion Hossa does in a season, and that to me explains his game perfectly - no will, no puck hunger, not physical, no command of the moment, no demand to be the difference maker

He gives up on the board battles before they even happen, or he just falls on his ass.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I think he was pretty good last night.

Still overpaid and we need him to be better but he was more involved than he had been in the previous three games. He looked solid on the left point on that first PP.

I don't understand how people can endlessly rail on him and fail to see that he isn't a net negative. Well except FQL who feels the need to bring in politics whenever Ryan is brought up.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I've got a feeling we're going to finally cut bait on him this season in a trade that saves us very little cash. I could see Detroit as a trade partner since their cap situation is completely messed up, and if Zetterberg and Franzen are insured, we could probably work something around Ryan half retained for one or both of them, and it would save us a few million dollars, save Melnyk from having to pay Ryan 2M (edit we'd still owe 1M if half retained) during the lockout, and it would help Detroit alleviate their cap situation since even know those two players are LTIR eligible, LTIR isn't the same as free and clear cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad