Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think he will have to play 40 games next year to qualify for the expansion draft.

Depending on how things play out, you would think that the club would be pretty motivated to get him dressed for those 40 games if in fact they determine that he is needed to protect other assets for the expansion draft. Given some of the scrubs we dressed this year, (hello, Scott Sabourin!) dressing a guy who, at worst, can contribute on PP2 isn't so terrible...

Reactions: Rand0m and Sweatred

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I can’t see a scenario where Bobby is healthy and ready and does not play a regular spot in the line up next year. He is a better hockey player than most in the lineup, and if he’s motivated again to carry on his career maybe we’ll see playoff Bobby in the regular season :)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Depending on how things play out, you would think that the club would be pretty motivated to get him dressed for those 40 games if in fact they determine that he is needed to protect other assets for the expansion draft. Given some of the scrubs we dressed this year, (hello, Scott Sabourin!) dressing a guy who, at worst, can contribute on PP2 isn't so terrible...

Very possible but I’m not sure how much room their will be. If we graduate Norris, Brown, Form, and possibly Balcers, trade/sign a player, and possibly 1-2 2020’s the top 12 starts to get crowded. With all those rookies DJ will want some effort/motor type players in the lineup and I’m not sure he will want to give minutes to BR.

If we don’t see a chance in White’s game he will get passed quickly (it started last night with Norris) and I could see them limiting Ryan’s games to force White’s exposure to Seattle and hopefully protect our defensive/goalie assets.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Very sad to see bad things happen to good people. I hope he eases back into it for the remainder of the year, as he will not be in mid-season condition and does not need to rack up more injuries. Be around the team, help the head heal and let the body bully recover and work with the training staff.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Very sad to see bad things happen to good people. I hope he eases back into it for the remainder of the year, as he will not be in mid-season condition and does not need to rack up more injuries. Be around the team, help the head heal and let the body bully recover and work with the training staff.
Tough to know what's going on, but he may be in better shape than he was before. Hopefully he gets back to being the player that got him drafted 2nd overall.

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Tough to know what's going on, but he may be in better shape than he was before. Hopefully he gets back to being the player that got him drafted 2nd overall.

I honestly wish that his troubles were the reason for his bad play and it does make sense when you think about it (now that we know the details of his troubles) because that is not something that you can live with and be the same person on a day to day basis let alone at work.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm excited to see him play

Like Lehner if he can figure out his off ice issues coming into the season he may finally be decent

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I'm excited to see him play

Like Lehner if he can figure out his off ice issues coming into the season he may finally be decent

Could you imagine Bobby Ryan hitting his stride for the next 2-3 years and giving us some classic Ryan hockey? There is no doubt he is a talented and skilled player, but there was just something off with his conditioning and fitness level the past couple of seasons.

He is only 33, now I am not suggesting he will go back to 30 goal scorer Ryan but plenty of NHL players are still very effective in their early 30's (30-35) so it is not out of the realm of possibility that he can end his career on a high note.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was a 55+ pts player until his mother passed away, then the next season his play dropped off a cliff. Maybe he can get back to that, who knows. Just glad he seems to be in a good place now.

Even as recently as last year he put up 42 pts, 50 pts doesn't really seem that unrealistic from a physical capability perspective.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Could you imagine Bobby Ryan hitting his stride for the next 2-3 years and giving us some classic Ryan hockey? There is no doubt he is a talented and skilled player, but there was just something off with his conditioning and fitness level the past couple of seasons.

He is only 33, now I am not suggesting he will go back to 30 goal scorer Ryan but plenty of NHL players are still very effective in their early 30's (30-35) so it is not out of the realm of possibility that he can end his career on a high note.

High note would be the Sens making the playoffs in 2021 and Ryan being a star. Alternate ending is Sens still very bad and he gets traded and has a huge playoffs.

If the Sens can get someone to carry the puck into the zone and set up, then Ryan gets the puck to make plays it would be the best for him. Lafreniere could revive his career, or a playmaker and puck carrier like Marner.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I personally think he’s done in the league once his contract is over. One dimensional players who can’t skate are becoming extinct .

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I personally think he’s done in the league once his contract is over. One dimensional players who can’t skate are becoming extinct .

How is/was Ryan a one dimensional player? I will not disagree that his skating was sub-par but part of it could be associated with poor health and conditioning.

He can shoot, he can pass, his stick handling is/was incredible, amazing vision...how does that fit the definition of one-dimensional.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If he's coming back refreshed and renewed and with a new outlook on life and the game I think we could see flashes of "old Bobby". I'm not sure it'll be this season though, since he was away from the game for so long, I think he may have a bit of trouble re-adjusting to the speed of the game.

He'll need to make some stylistic adjustments if he wants to get into DJ's good books as well. I'm not sure how much leeway Bobby will get if the other RW options are all aggressive buzz-saws who fit DJ's teams better (C.Brown, Batherson to an extent, ect).

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
How is/was Ryan a one dimensional player? I will not disagree that his skating was sub-par but part of it could be associated with poor health and conditioning.

He can shoot, he can pass, his stick handling is/was incredible, amazing vision...how does that fit the definition of one-dimensional.

He can't really shoot anymore, and his skating issues have always hindered him from being a better 2-way player.

If he comes back as the same guy we've seen the last ~3 season (minus the playoff run) than I'd definitely consider him one dimensional (hands/playmaking/vision/passing all fall into the same "dimension" imo).

He could just as easily come back a better player, if a major part of his downswing was mental, but I still wouldn't expect 20+ goals and some version of Bobby we haven't seen in Ottawa.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
FWIW, DJ said the other day that Bobby's on ice fitness testing was better now than it was in camp in September. (I gather they have a standard skating test of some kind that they run guys through.) That will tell you that, if nothing else, his conditioning should be decent. He's also going to get a ton of prime ice time in the next 20 games.

Prediction - he's coming in hot tonight in Nashville...

Reactions: stempniaksen

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

his shot is not that good anymore. his hands are good but he can't get to pucks and doesn't win battles, the biggest skill in todays game is getting pucks and Ryan isn't good at that.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
To me, the ship has sailed on a resurgence. There's been multiple occasions where claims were made that BR was in the "best shape of his life" and "ready to turn things around". I just don't see it happening anymore, and that's totally fine.

He's lived a tough life, seems like a well above average good person, overcame addiction, gave Sens fans a ton of excitement in 2017, and still can make some crazy talented plays. If anyone is going to be vastly overpaid, I'm glad it's him!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If he went balls to the wall with his conditioning and health, and his body held up to that, I could see him squeezing out a couple more decent years.

I just don't think that'll happen.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
If he comes back as the same guy we've seen the last ~3 season (minus the playoff run) than I'd definitely consider him one dimensional (hands/playmaking/vision/passing all fall into the same "dimension" imo).

I respect your view, however I do disagree with the definition of "one-dimensional", which to me is usually more descriptive of players who are only good at one thing or only make an effort in one area.

I suppose one-dimension applies at different levels too, as in, the general sense that a player is one dimensional either offensively or defensively, but then you could also break those down to players who can only shoot well, can only pass well, can only playing a checking role, some players have lots of speed and intensity but no hockey IQ or puck skills etc.

Therefore to me, Bobby is pretty good defensively and was, at one point, elite offensively. And within that offense he always had a good shot and amazing stick handling ability as we once witnessed first hand when he scored that beautiful goal against Quick in L.A.

I guess we will have to see where his game is at now, I am not expecting much but I am definitely on board the Ryan train and I hope he proves everyone wrong.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Can’t shoot and is terrible defensively.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
FWIW, DJ said the other day that Bobby's on ice fitness testing was better now than it was in camp in September...

FWIW for sure as I am not sure how high that bar is. Ironic if he had a super resurgence that pushed the Sens up a couple of spots in the tankathon. He is getting some chances here in the third period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad