Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
And the point would be? Nobody would take him without sending salary back. And Melnyk doesn't like that sentence "salary back" so that's why he is still in Ottawa.
Send a message that poor conditioning and on ice laziness is unacceptable.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

How do you know about poor conditioning? Were you there at the training camp conditioning tests? I have actually read and heard that Bobby was actually in great shape

How do you figure that he is lazy? Is it based on preseason? Lmao. Ryan is not an aggressive player, he is a finesse player. He probably always looked lazy to you. I still see the same player I have watched for 10 years but older and minus a great shot, since injuries clearly affected him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
How do you know about poor conditioning? Were you there at the training camp conditioning tests? I have actually read and heard that Bobby was actually in great shape

How do you figure that he is lazy? Is it based on preseason? Lmao. Ryan is not an aggressive player, he is a finesse player. He probably always looked lazy to you. I still see the same player I have watched for 10 years but older and minus a great shot, since injuries clearly affected him.
He looks even slower than last year. People are probably presuming he's out of shape based on that, which is fair. It looks like his on ice physical condition has deteriorated.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The blame isn't solely on Melnyk though. I agree he's an idiot but Murray and Dorion have made some awful trades of their own accord.

If I remember correctly we had been after Ryan for a while and the stumbling block was that Anaheim wanted a first and Murray wouldn't budge.

Alfie bailed and he caved. It's all because of Melnyk.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If I remember correctly we had been after Ryan for a while and the stumbling block was that Anaheim wanted a first and Murray wouldn't budge.

Alfie bailed and he caved. It's all because of Melnyk.

He didn't cave because Alfie bailed. They were going to do the trade anyways. The hold up was that if they gave Alfredsson what he wanted in terms of money, there would not be cash available to make the Ryan trade.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He looks even slower than last year. People are probably presuming he's out of shape based on that, which is fair. It looks like his on ice physical condition has deteriorated.

I don't really pay much attention to veterans in preseason. Experience has taught me that. We'll see when the games matter.

Meh we likely would have been in the Nylander range without Ryan.

It's amazing how many bad trades we make.

:facepalm: This is my favorite kind of argument! It's so out of touch with reality... like if teams were building their roster to absolutely suck and draft higher, particularly after making the playoffs the 2 seasons prior in 2011-12 and 2012-13 (despite many key injuries), and easily defeating the 2nd seed in the East 4-1 in the playoffs

Yeah, the Sens should have totally tanked in 2013-14! They shouldn't have signed MacArthur, they shouldn't have traded for Ryan. Just go full rebuild because 41 y/o Alfie left! Tell all the players that they have no faith in them (Karlsson, Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Zibanejad, Methot, Smith, Anderson, Lehner, Ceci, etc) and rebuild again!

Reactions: swiftwin

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He didn't cave because Alfie bailed. They were going to do the trade anyways. The hold up was that if they gave Alfredsson what he wanted in terms of money, there would not be cash available to make the Ryan trade.

I'm very confident that what was said when the trade went down was that Murray didn't want to give up the first but that when Alfie bailed he caved because it was a PR disaster.

Its been a while though, I could be wrong.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I'm very confident that what was said when the trade went down was that Murray didn't want to give up the first but that when Alfie bailed he caved because it was a PR disaster.

Its been a while though, I could be wrong.
it's been a while but that's exactly how i remember it too

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don't really pay much attention to veterans in preseason. Experience has taught me that. We'll see when the games matter.

:facepalm: This is my favorite kind of argument! It's so out of touch with reality... like if teams were building their roster to absolutely suck and draft higher, particularly after making the playoffs the 2 seasons prior in 2011-12 and 2012-13 (despite many key injuries), and easily defeating the 2nd seed in the East 4-1 in the playoffs

Yeah, the Sens should have totally tanked in 2013-14! They shouldn't have signed MacArthur, they shouldn't have traded for Ryan. Just go full rebuild because 41 y/o Alfie left! Tell all the players that they have no faith in them (Karlsson, Spezza, Turris, Michalek, Zibanejad, Methot, Smith, Anderson, Lehner, Ceci, etc) and rebuild again!

Who said anything about tanking lol?

My point is that if Murray and Dorion did absolutely nothing in terms of trades we would be a better team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Who said anything about tanking lol?

My point is that if Murray and Dorion did absolutely nothing in terms of trades we would be a better team.

That's not what you said though. But anyway, if the Ryan trade never happened, we would of had Silfverberg who would have been less productive than Ryan, Noesen would have probably been waived too and while we could have done a better selection with that 10th OA pick (in a weak draft), we could have drafted Ritchie as well or even worse. The thing is we expected the Sens to make the playoffs once again and that pick would have been slated later.

You said "we likely would have been in the Nylander range without Ryan." so it means that you think that we would have drafted earlier if the trade didn't happen but like I said, in the real world, a manager's job is to make his team better. Sens had made the playoffs 2 years in a row after the 2011 rebuild (and even won a round easily against the 2nd east seed) so after Alfie decided to sign elsewhere, Murray reacted and made a very good signing in MacArthur and traded for a star forward giving only 1 valuable piece (in the end), a guy that has a 0.51 PPG (which is lower than Ryan LAST YEAR) in 371 games with the Ducks, despite a LOT of ice-time and offensive opportunities. 0.51 PPG is an average of 42 pts per 82 games. Despite his struggles in the last 2 seasons, Ryan has an overall 0.61 PPG with the Sens in 353 games, which is an average of 50 pts per 82 games

Really, that trade didn't hurt as much as it has been talked about. It's not even close to what has been happening lately with Dorionylk.

Imagine if Dorion was forced to trade Karlsson, but instead of dragging this team into the ground, would have signed a D-man of MacArthur level and traded for a star D-man of Ryan level (at that time) while giving Cody Ceci, Nick Paul and what was expected to be a late 1st to acquire him.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The Bobby Ryan trade and signing has been bad evaluation since the beginning.

Warning signs were there - when Ryan tweeted the day of the trade he was 'coming in hot' and didn't show up for 2 months, I think that perfectly sums up the Bobby Ryan file in Ottawa.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I wouldn't jump on Bobby Ryan because of his performance (or perceived lack) in the preseason. Every vet in every market gets the benefit of the doubt with the explanation that vets don't go all out until the season starts. Lets at least be fair. My real concern is that he has put himself in harm's way in front of the net with a lot of wild shot rookies around. With his injury history he shouldn't do that when it doesn't count or benefit the team. It would be like Boro getting goaded into a fight by some young AHL lifer in these warmup games. Save it for when it means something!

Reactions: Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know about lazy and poor conditioning... I just think hes not up to snuff. games too fast for him to be a consistent threat. couple rounds on the stationary bike aint gonna help him.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
S L O W ... but ... I N T E N S E
7kc1a.gif

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I wouldn't jump on Bobby Ryan because of his performance (or perceived lack) in the preseason. Every vet in every market gets the benefit of the doubt with the explanation that vets don't go all out until the season starts. Lets at least be fair. My real concern is that he has put himself in harm's way in front of the net with a lot of wild shot rookies around. With his injury history he shouldn't do that when it doesn't count or benefit the team. It would be like Boro getting goaded into a fight by some young AHL lifer in these warmup games. Save it for when it means something!

On the other hand, the injuries just give him an excuse for his poor play.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
On the other hand, the injuries just give him an excuse for his poor play.

Why are reasons automatically penciled as excuses?

I mean if an Olympic runner breaks his leg and can’t make the Olympics anymore, is it an excuse or a reason? It’s the same for every sport, your performance will heavily depend on your physical status.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Why are reasons automatically penciled as excuses?

I mean if an Olympic runner breaks his leg and can’t make the Olympics anymore, is it an excuse or a reason? It’s the same for every sport, your performance will heavily depend on your physical status.
This has been the exact same story each season. He gets all of his points in the first half of the season and fades in the second half. Now he just gets hurt all of the time so he never gets around to slowing down.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan doesn't have the heart or the love for the game, injuries all athletes have to deal with, but the warriors manage them and treat them so they can get back to excellence.

IMO Ryan got his huge contract he was playing for and it killed his motivation. To me, my guess is he welcomes the injuries at this point so he has an excuse to hide behind and a reason to not play.

Im guessing Ryan looks at LTIR as a good thing, his injuries will get him there. based on his will on the ice, I can't see him playing for another 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad