Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
JrQE.gif

“It’s a circle, it feeds on itself,” said Boucher. “(Ryan) is not a fast guy, so when he gets more ice time, his legs get going and he’s quicker. When Bobby’s legs are going, you’ve got a hell of a hockey player there.”

New Ricky Bobby article in the Sun

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He is not the type who thinks effort can lead to opportunities he would rather wait to see them and pounce.
“I’m doing the right things and I’m playing aggressively, as opposed to just kind of waiting until you get a break,” said Ryan, who entered Wednesday’s game with three goals and five assists in his previous seven games, as steady as any Senators forward in that span.

Just thought I'd bump my post from October.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan could get traded - I know it’s u likely but if you’re looking for a big winger who’ll come cheap - like maybe Pitt who could flip back a contract they aren’t crazy about (Tanner Pearson / Eleksiak) I could see it happen.

Pitt: Ryan
Ott: Tanner Pearson, 2nd round pick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Be interesting to see if he’s turned some kind of corner here and continues it in to next season.

I know people somehow see him as someone who struggled for a long time, but when you look at it from a pure numbers standpoint, he has been pretty steady outside of that period where he was constantly injured. It also doesn't help playing in a Boucher's system.

2011-12 : 0.70 PPG - 18:21 TOI/GP
2012-13 : 0.65 PPG - 16:35 TOI/GP
2013-14 : 0.69 PPG - 16:52 TOI/GP
2014-15 : 0.69 PPG - 17:28 TOI/GP
2015-16 : 0.69 PPG - 17:10 TOI/GP
2016-17 : 0.40 PPG - 15:32 TOI/GP but Playoffs : 0.79 PPG - 17:13 TOI/GP (Combined : 0.49 PPG)
2017-18 : 0.53 PPG - 16:27 TOI/GP
2018-19 : 0.64 PPG - 15:29 TOI/GP

Ryan is simply more generally healthy this year and Boucher has accepted that he can't have an efficient defensive system so he is not suffocating the offense as much.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Bobby playing well, but he’s no Alex Chiasson

Chiasson - 17 goals
Ryan - 9 goals

Chiasson is simply this year's Patrick Maroon, the guy who gets to pad his stats playing beside #97. Put Bobby Ryan on McJesus's wing and I guarantee he has 20 to 25 by now. McDavid is a freak - dude drives possession numbers like no other player in the NHL, and the dropoff when he leaves the ice for Edmonton is massive.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I know people somehow see him as someone who struggled for a long time, but when you look at it from a pure numbers standpoint, he has been pretty steady outside of that period where he was constantly injured. It also doesn't help playing in a Boucher's system.

2011-12 : 0.70 PPG - 18:21 TOI/GP
2012-13 : 0.65 PPG - 16:35 TOI/GP
2013-14 : 0.69 PPG - 16:52 TOI/GP
2014-15 : 0.69 PPG - 17:28 TOI/GP
2015-16 : 0.69 PPG - 17:10 TOI/GP
2016-17 : 0.40 PPG - 15:32 TOI/GP but Playoffs : 0.79 PPG - 17:13 TOI/GP (Combined : 0.49 PPG)
2017-18 : 0.53 PPG - 16:27 TOI/GP
2018-19 : 0.64 PPG - 15:29 TOI/GP

Ryan is simply more generally healthy this year and Boucher has accepted that he can't have an efficient defensive system so he is not suffocating the offense as much.
Yeah, steadily unimpressive for what he was paid.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Chiasson is simply this year's Patrick Maroon, the guy who gets to pad his stats playing beside #97. Put Bobby Ryan on McJesus's wing and I guarantee he has 20 to 25 by now. McDavid is a freak - dude drives possession numbers like no other player in the NHL, and the dropoff when he leaves the ice for Edmonton is massive.

Ryan currently has a 0.64 PPG playing 15 mins a night, mostly with Boedker and Tierney. Pretty sure he'd have a PPG over 0.7 (like his last 2 years in Anaheim and his first 3 year in Ottawa) if he was constantly playing with Duchene and Dzingel.

If he was playing more minutes on a line with Draisatl and McDavid for example, I think he'd be close to PPG.

Ryan-McDavid-Draisatl

That line would be dominating. Too bad Sekera isn't healthy anymore, that could have been a good basis for a trade (Sens save money and 1 year, Oilers get better forward depth). Also, the problem is that the Oilers blueline isn't a strength enough to be able to make that kind of move. That being said, Ryan for Sekera + would probably interest Melnyk

Is there any bubble playoff team out there desperate enough to gamble on him right now?

The Islanders should try to get Ryan for Ladd. They end up spending more money but don't add much in terms of cap (+ 1.75 the next 3 years but clear 5.5 the 4th year). Sens save 5.5 total plus they'd have Ladd for another year (although they probably won't want that)

Like I said in the quote above, the Oilers should try to get him. Sekera as a basis I guess (Sens wouldn't want Lucic for sure)

Canucks should try to trade Eriksson for Ryan

Sabres should try to get Ryan for Okposo. Not sure Sens would be interested though, because of that extra year.

Jackets should try to get him for Dubinsky, etc.

Teams who don't have financial problems shouldn't be scared to invest in Ryan. Sure they will want to send salary the other way but skill is always welcomed instead of insisting on "bubble players" (ex : Spooner). Ryan has scored over 500 pts in the NHL, he knows what to do.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ryan currently has a 0.64 PPG playing 15 mins a night, mostly with Boedker and Tierney. Pretty sure he'd have a PPG over 0.7 (like his last 2 years in Anaheim and his first 3 year in Ottawa) if he was constantly playing with Duchene and Dzingel.

If he was playing more minutes on a line with Draisatl and McDavid for example, I think he'd be close to PPG.

Ryan-McDavid-Draisatl

That line would be dominating. Too bad Sekera isn't healthy anymore, that could have been a good basis for a trade (Sens save money and 1 year, Oilers get better forward depth). Also, the problem is that the Oilers blueline isn't a strength enough to be able to make that kind of move. That being said, Ryan for Sekera + would probably interest Melnyk

The Islanders should try to get Ryan for Ladd. They end up spending more money but don't add much in terms of cap (+ 1.75 the next 3 years but clear 5.5 the 4th year). Sens save 5.5 total plus they'd have Ladd for another year (although they probably won't want that)

Like I said in the quote above, the Oilers should try to get him. Sekera as a basis I guess (Sens wouldn't want Lucic for sure)

Canucks should try to trade Eriksson for Ryan

Sabres should try to get Ryan for Okposo. Not sure Sens would be interested though, because of that extra year.

Jackets should try to get him for Dubinsky, etc.

Teams who don't have financial problems shouldn't be scared to invest in Ryan. Sure they will want to send salary the other way but skill is always welcomed instead of insisting on "bubble players" (ex : Spooner). Ryan has scored over 500 pts in the NHL, he knows what to do.
You have to be a realist here. There is now way Ryan could keep up with McDavid. He can't keep up with our top liners.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Chiasson could score 50, and I wouldn't care a kick. I saw enough of him here

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Ryan-McDavid-Draisatl

not really how it works.. not every players production increases that steadily.. they player with player x and y so his ppg is .7.. if he played with these other plqayers naturally his points would increase to take him near ppg… its basically never that simple.

saying that, hes been good for like a month and half two months now

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
not really how it works.. not every players production increases that steadily.. they player with player x and y so his ppg is .7.. if he played with these other plqayers naturally his points would increase to take him near ppg… its basically never that simple.

Same concept when he was expected to flourish playing with Spezza. Didn't happen

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yes that's how it works, talented players will normally increase their production if they play with better player, that's pure logic 101, unless there's a chemistry problem, like it seems there was between Ryan and Spezza (2 playmakers together is never supposed to be the best bet for chemistry). But they didn't play together much anyway. In Spezza's last season as a Senator and Ryan's first, the only season they played on the same team, they played ~10% of the time together (6.46% + 2.26% + 0.41%, etc). Coach PM quickly identified the chemistry of the MoToR line and kept them together for the most part.

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

Anyway, I NEVER SAID IT WAS "SIMPLE", I don't think I was vague or using the wrong words, I said "PRETTY SURE", which means it's my opinion and it also implies that it's not 100% guarantee. But it means that I strongly believe that his production would be a tad better playing constantly (and then more minutes, better offensive situations) with Duchene and Dzingel rather than Tierney and Boedker. 2 excellent offensive forwards vs 2 average offensive forwards who are really not "finishers", which is something Duchene and Dzingel can do.

THEN, I said "I THINK" he'd be close to PPG playing MORE minutes with Draisatl and McDavid, which implies that again it's my opinion and that I was not 100 % ensuring that. But that's a bet I'd easily do if it was possible.

Chiasson could score 50, and I wouldn't care a kick. I saw enough of him here

Actually, he's really not the same player now as he was when he started struggling here. He did have some good stretches during his first season in Ottawa but it didn't last and had problems with the coaching staff too, he was in the "dog house" quickly. The problem for Chiasson in Ottawa was the expectations, from the fanbase but probably also the team. He was seen as a very good prospect before his rookie season which didn't go too badly with 13 goals and 35 points (plus 6 goals in his first 7 NHL games prior to that).

But then he was the main piece obtained for a player who was important part of the Sens team for the decade. It's actually never ideal situation to be in, if it doesn't go well right away and it doesn't last, confidence issues can arise. Anyway, it took a few years and after re-establishing himself as a solid bottom-6 forward on the Flames and Caps, he's at least showing now that he can put the puck in the net if given the opportunity, which should insure him another NHL contract, probably for a few years. At 650 000$ this year, he's one of the biggest bargains of the year.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes that's how it works, talented players will normally increase their production if they play with better player, that's pure logic 101, unless there's a chemistry problem, like it seems there was between Ryan and Spezza (2 playmakers together is never supposed to be the best bet for chemistry). But they didn't play together much anyway. In Spezza's last season as a Senator and Ryan's first, the only season they played on the same team, they played ~10% of the time together (6.46% + 2.26% + 0.41%, etc). Coach PM quickly identified the chemistry of the MoToR line and kept them together for the most part.

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools

Anyway, I NEVER SAID IT WAS "SIMPLE", I don't think I was vague or using the wrong words, I said "PRETTY SURE", which means it's my opinion and it also implies that it's not 100% guarantee. But it means that I strongly believe that his production would be a tad better playing constantly (and then more minutes, better offensive situations) with Duchene and Dzingel rather than Tierney and Boedker. 2 excellent offensive forwards vs 2 average offensive forwards who are really not "finishers", which is something Duchene and Dzingel can do.

THEN, I said "I THINK" he'd be close to PPG playing MORE minutes with Draisatl and McDavid, which implies that again it's my opinion and that I was not 100 % ensuring that. But that's a bet I'd easily do if it was possible.

Actually, he's really not the same player now as he was when he started struggling here. He did have some good stretches during his first season in Ottawa but it didn't last and had problems with the coaching staff too, he was in the "dog house" quickly. The problem for Chiasson in Ottawa was the expectations, from the fanbase but probably also the team. He was seen as a very good prospect before his rookie season which didn't go too badly with 13 goals and 35 points (plus 6 goals in his first 7 NHL games prior to that).

But then he was the main piece obtained for a player who was important part of the Sens team for the decade. It's actually never ideal situation to be in, if it doesn't go well right away and it doesn't last, confidence issues can arise. Anyway, it took a few years and after re-establishing himself as a solid bottom-6 forward on the Flames and Caps, he's at least showing now that he can put the puck in the net if given the opportunity, which should insure him another NHL contract, probably for a few years. At 650 000$ this year, he's one of the biggest bargains of the year.
Ryan was never a play maker until his numbers went down. He was brought in to score 30 goals.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If you read old threads concerning Ryan in 2006 for example, you'd see that people have been wrong on him for quite some time. I could put a lot of quotes here like "he'll be a better Steve Bernier", "Latendresse is going to be better", "Lauri Tukonen vs Bobby Ryan", "Huge mistake to draft Ryan over Jack Johnson, HUGE!", etc

I couldn't find old scouting reports when Ryan was still a prospect but still found this old one from HF
"..., Ryan’s forte is his ability to turn a scoring play into a scoring chance. Combining soft hands and excellent vision and poise, Ryan excels at protecting the puck with his large frame and cycling along the boards.

Though it continues to improve, his skating is still a hindrance and that limits both his play away from the puck and his ability to be a consistent physical presence. If he doesn’t constantly keep his feet moving, his game loses its effectiveness in all three zones of play."

People thought that Ryan was a goal scorer because he did have those 4 straight 30+ goals seasons. Spezza has 5 of those, does that make him a goal scorer? Anyway, his scouting report on forecaster has it best : "Is capable of setting up linemates or light the lamp himself". That's what good players do, score and make plays for others. Ryan was just more of a scoring threat before when his shot was deadly.

Anyway, how can anyone watch Bobby Ryan on a regular basis and not realize that he is a natural playmaker is beyond me, it actually shows that some fans have a very little understanding of the game.

Reactions: bert

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If you read old threads concerning Ryan in 2006 for example, you'd see that people have been wrong on him for quite some time. I could put a lot of quotes here like "he'll be a better Steve Bernier", "Latendresse is going to be better", "Lauri Tukonen vs Bobby Ryan", "Huge mistake to draft Ryan over Jack Johnson, HUGE!", etc

I couldn't find old scouting reports when Ryan was still a prospect but still found this old one from HF
"..., Ryan’s forte is his ability to turn a scoring play into a scoring chance. Combining soft hands and excellent vision and poise, Ryan excels at protecting the puck with his large frame and cycling along the boards.

Though it continues to improve, his skating is still a hindrance and that limits both his play away from the puck and his ability to be a consistent physical presence. If he doesn’t constantly keep his feet moving, his game loses its effectiveness in all three zones of play."

People thought that Ryan was a goal scorer because he did have those 4 straight 30+ goals seasons. Spezza has 5 of those, does that make him a goal scorer? Anyway, his scouting report on forecaster has it best : "Is capable of setting up linemates or light the lamp himself". That's what good players do, score and make plays for others. Ryan was just more of a scoring threat before when his shot was deadly.

Anyway, how can anyone watch Bobby Ryan on a regular basis and not realize that he is a natural playmaker is beyond me, it actually shows that some fans have a very little understanding of the game.
Worst post of the year.

Most players who played with Spezza had career years. That's a play maker.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If i dont curse Ryan's name 3 times a game I consider that a good game by Bobby. Been a couple games of less than 3 so to me he is playing well

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bobby playing well, but he’s no Alex Chiasson

Chiasson - 17 goals
Ryan - 9 goals

Yeah that Chiasson sure is good at getting pucks banked off his stick by the best player on the planet (yet still somehow cant get any assists). Bobby is so much better than Chiasson its not funny, if you cant tell the difference I am not sure what to tell you.

Chiasson still goes offside all the time a true indication of a player with no hockey sense. Listen to Adam Oates interview on spitting chicklets.

Ryan has 29 points in 45 games

Chiasson has 22 in 38 games

Chiassons most common linemates on the entire team are Mcdavid and Draisaitl

Alex Chiasson - Frozen Tools

Ryans most commone linemates are Tierney then its close between Boedker and Duchene.

Bobby Ryan - Frozen Tools

With this data do you still believe that Chiasson is the better player?

I think outside of the playoff run where he was the best forward on the team Bobby is playing his best hockey as a Senator. Last night on his goal he absolutely dominated that shift, his puck control right now is phenomenal. Looks like a guy that wants to get dealt to me! Love me some Bobby when he plays like this.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You have to be a realist here. There is now way Ryan could keep up with McDavid. He can't keep up with our top liners.

The bolded is absolutely false and shows you have an agenda. Its crazy how many people around here come down on Dzingel and Ryan when they are two of the most skilled players on a team that seriously lacks skill. Is it that hard for you guys to identify?

Worst post of the year.

Most players who played with Spezza had career years. That's a play maker.

Quite a statement coming from you. Its far more accurate than anything I have seen from you in this thread.

Spezza leads the league in assists per game for a couple seasons so no one else can be a playmaker. SOLID ARGUMENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad