Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Keep Ryan, he's fine, expensive but fine. I still can't figure out what they're going to with Gaborik, buy him out I guess. I'm guessing Smith will be traded, not much you can do with Burrows except give him a heavily reduced role. I think they have to go with the goalies for at least another year, give the prospects a few games to see if they are ready but wait it out next year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think the Sens could afford Ryan for 2018-19 but not after that when Karlsson and Duchene (upcoming) extensions kick in

Now the focus should be to get rid of Burrows, Gaborik, Smith and Condon (or Anderson) contracts; all great Dorion extensions

After next season, Ryan will have only 3 years left and the cap could be close to 85 M$, which would make his cap hit only 8.5% of a team’s cap. If Ryan could avoid injuries next season, then he would become easy to move.

Anyway, that’s how I would manage it; get rid of the 4 contracts I mentioned earlier first

Note : Ryan is currently 132nd in PPG among the 363 forwards who played 41 games and more, despite his injury struggles. On average that’s #4-5 forward numbers on the average team

Sure he’s overpaid but he is still a +5 M$ forward. If you retain something like 2 M$ on his salary, I’m sure a team would take a flyer on him, and even give up assets to get him. Sens would have 1 top-6 forward less

Fun note : Lazar is 353rd on that list and Paajarvi is 360th. Not sure why so many Sens fans want to re-sign him

Bobby Ryan has 3 PP goals in his last 109 games played, and 21 goals in his last 109 games.

He's averaging 15 goals a season based on the last 2 seasons. He's not scoring like a top 6 forward in any hockey league.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bobby Ryan has 3 PP goals in his last 109 games played, and 21 goals in his last 109 games.

He's averaging 15 goals a season based on the last 2 seasons. He's not scoring like a top 6 forward in any hockey league.

Maybe it’s because you haven’t noticed yet that he had many hand injuries which affected his « once was » elite shot. He’s adapted his game to become a playmaker and more complete player. He still scores clutch goals though like we’ve seen last playoffs but it’s never going to be with a snipe anymore

It’s time to adapt as a poster too and keep up with things even though it changes very fast.

It’s like some people are stuck 6 years ago and still expect Ryan to be a goal scorer

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Its almost like Sens fans pays his salary from own pocket. Why everyone wants him gone ? Its Melnyks money. Why do you think this money would be used on something better ?

Paying 7.5 million to Ryan for 4 more years is not ideal at all. It may not matter that much next year if we are rebuilding, but it will matter at some point.

You have to at least try to get rid of him this off season.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe it’s because you haven’t noticed yet that he had many hand injuries which affected his « once was » elite shot. He’s adapted his game to become a playmaker and more complete player. He still scores clutch goals though like we’ve seen last playoffs but it’s never going to be with a snipe anymore

It’s time to adapt as a poster too and keep up with things even though it changes very fast.

It’s like some people are stuck 6 years ago and still expect Ryan to be a goal scorer

Imagine expecting a guy who makes over 7 million to score goals. What nerve.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
m_Its-A-BOBBY-Thing-2015-Best-Design.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Its almost like Sens fans pays his salary from own pocket. Why everyone wants him gone ? Its Melnyks money. Why do you think this money would be used on something better ?

are you from a different planet? Did you just come here from Mars and are only now learning how fans choose to follow pro sports? Weird take.

Fans care, for the same reason they care about trades, drafted players, etc. Cap (or salary for budget teams like us) is a finite resource for teams and misusing cap (just like making bad trades or bad draft picks) can lead to a team winning less. Fans care about winning, therefore they care about how effective players are relative to their contracts. Very simply thought process.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I’m not going to waste much time responding this and explain it all over again. It’s all in this thread if you want to read it. I’ll come up with one word : context

It’s like saying MacArthur was a bad signing (exaggeration but it’s the same principle)

Unless some people really think hockey players are robots and are not subject to gravity and physical reality

Reactions: bert

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I’m not going to waste much time responding this and explain it all over again. It’s all in this thread if you want to read it. I’ll come up with one word : context

It’s like saying MacArthur was a bad signing (exaggeration but it’s the same principle)

Unless some people really think hockey players are robots and are not subject to gravity and physical reality
Nobody wants to read the same wall of text that you copy and paste in every thread.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I certainly don’t expect any player to be a robot, but if Ryan’s injuries are preventing him from being effective, I’m not sure why he’s playing.

What was the point of bringing him back this year? Why not shut him down for the rest of the season?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I certainly don’t expect any player to be a robot, but if Ryan’s injuries are preventing him from being effective, I’m not sure why he’s playing.

What was the point of bringing him back this year? Why not shut him down for the rest of the season?

Why? See playoffs, last season. Sens don’t get past the first round without him

If he’s playing now, it’s because true professional doctors have cleared him to play. The problem is not that, it’s the fact that he keeps getting injured.

Reality is that the human body is not invincible, at some point it gets weaker based on use and injuries and everything. I don’t have Ryan’s full medical report in front of me, but safe to assume that his shot will never be as good as it was before. An offensive player is way less dangerous without a good NHL shot that can beat goalies clean

I am not sure why I have to explain all this. I feel like captain obvious

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

He scored 18 goals as a 27 year old on a playoff team, he’s never been elite, just hyped that way

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Keep Ryan, he's fine, expensive but fine. I still can't figure out what they're going to with Gaborik, buy him out I guess. I'm guessing Smith will be traded, not much you can do with Burrows except give him a heavily reduced role. I think they have to go with the goalies for at least another year, give the prospects a few games to see if they are ready but wait it out next year.

He really isnt fine, lmao.

They guy is a glorified 3rd liner now.

He has the hands, vision and contract of a top line player but the skating, work ethic, balance, shot, strength and consistency of a 4th liner.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Jesus. Your a real piece of work. The fat and lazy guy is living out his dream while you sit on your couch and behind a computer commenting about him. Let’s look at your situation and compare it to his. Who is more likely to be fat and lazy

Fans can be fat and lazy if they want to be. Pro athletes should not be. Then again, I don’t feel Ryan is fat.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bobby will never be confused with guys like Crosby or Kesler when it comes of off-ice dedication. He has a ton of natural talent and that played a big part in getting to the NHL. Not saying he is super lazy, but he isn't anywhere near the hardest working category, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->