Proposal: Bobby Ryan for Milan Lucic

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Have not seen any Oilers game yet this year. I am going to Calgary in Nov to see the battle of Alberta and when the Habs also play in the same week. I'll see what he looks like then. Honestly, I am a die hard Habs fan but I do cheer for success for all Canadian teams. I hope Lucic rebounds for you guys

That's fair. They've only played one. They sucked.

Their schedule is a bit rough this season to start. Probably the toughest in the league? I hope a highly motivated McDavid (thank you Ray Ferraro) gets 8 points tonight on the road in Boston.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's fair. They've only played one. They sucked.

Their schedule is a bit rough this season to start. Probably the toughest in the league? I hope a highly motivated McDavid (thank you Ray Ferraro) gets 8 points tonight on the road in Boston.

Habs also have a tough schedule. Leafs and Pens on the road. Then the Kings and Pens at home. Starts to lighten up after than. I hope McDavid has a lot of patience with the Oilers attempts at improving the team. Those Hall and Eberle trades hurt!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have not seen any Oilers game yet this year. I am going to Calgary in Nov to see the battle of Alberta and when the Habs also play in the same week. I'll see what he looks like then. Honestly, I am a die hard Habs fan but I do cheer for success for all Canadian teams. I hope Lucic rebounds for you guys

It would be hard to have seen a game this year, we’ve only played one freaking time and it was at 11AM Mountain. :banghead:

Not only is our schedule hard as hell (six of the first ten games are against Nashvillex2, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Winnipeg) we’ve only played one game in a stretch where some teams have played four.

We need Lucic to not be terrible and he was one of the few guys that actually showed up against the Devils, so decent early returns.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It would be hard to have seen a game this year, we’ve only played one freaking time and it was at 11AM Mountain. :banghead:

Not only is our schedule hard as hell (six of the first ten games are against Nashvillex2, Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, and Winnipeg) we’ve only played one game in a stretch where some teams have played four.

We need Lucic to not be terrible and he was one of the few guys that actually showed up against the Devils, so decent early returns.

Oilers need to focus at trying to acquire depth on D and the hopes one of them turns into a top 4D. Shore up the D and let McDavid burn you. Right now, you are too easy to beat cause the D is average at best. McDavid can get 4 pts and you still lose the game.

Habs picked up Reilly, Quellet, Schlemko, Olofsson in the last two years. We took a stab on Davidson and so did the Oilers as well. Keep going after these types of assets and you'll hit eventually. The price to acquire these types is low.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers need to focus at trying to acquire depth on D and the hopes one of them turns into a top 4D. Shore up the D and let McDavid burn you. Right now, you are too easy to beat cause the D is average at best. McDavid can get 4 pts and you still lose the game.

Habs picked up Reilly, Quellet, Schlemko, Olofsson in the last two years. We took a stab on Davidson and so did the Oilers as well. Keep going after these types of assets and you'll hit eventually. The price to acquire these types is low.

The Oilers have enough of those type of assets. Our defense issue is that we have no #1, only one #2 (Larsson), a pile of 3/4/5 guys, a couple of rookies and an over the hill war horse. It's not depth, its top end talent that we are lacking on the blueline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Oilers have enough of those type of assets. Our defense issue is that we have no #1, only one #2 (Larsson), a pile of 3/4/5 guys, a couple of rookies and an over the hill war horse. It's not depth, its top end talent that we are lacking on the blueline.

Understood. It's nice to have a stud in your 1 and 2 spots on D but you don't so you need plan B. All 6 guys are solid in their own end and force outside shots. If the Oilers can be in the top 15 in team defense, forget about making the playoffs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No, based on their recent seasons. You really think I am measuring just one game?
I don't know what you are measuring off of considering the Oilers have only played one game so far and Lucic dropped a little weight and worked on his speed over the summer. But yes, in previous seasons, Ryan was a better skater than Lucic. There is more to the game than skating though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know what you are measuring off of considering the Oilers have only played one game so far and Lucic dropped a little weight and worked on his speed over the summer. But yes, in previous seasons, Ryan was a better skater than Lucic. There is more to the game than skating though.

I told you, it's more recent seasons. Do you think Lucic became this much better skater in one off season at the age of 30? I can guarantee he worked at losing weight and improving his skating but how much do we really think he can improve in regards to skating in a game that seems to get faster each year?

No disrespect but I would rather have Ryan over Lucic. And I don't hate Lucic. I am hoping for him to have a rebound year

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

We’ve got plenty of depth and have Bear, Bouchard, and Jones all knocking on the door. The biggest issue right now is we have too many 5/6 types and are seriously missing a 3/4. Klefbom/Larsson is an acceptable - but below average - top pairing, and Nurse is a #3 with upside, but in no way shape or form should either Russell or Benning be on the 2nd pairing.

Reactions: TFHockey

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Oilers are kinda stuck with their d until sekera and Russel are moveable . But when healthy klefbom nurse sekera Russell and larsson are all locks on the team and the last spot is gonna eventually be bouchards if it isn't already

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018
Ryan wouldn’t be anywhere near McDavid’s line.

No from Edmonton. We’re not in a position to add more near-useless cap.

TBH it's Ottawa that will say no here. Ryan has game left in him, Lucic is the useless one. I mean.. I wouldn't do this deal if I were any of the GMs BUT Edmonton comes out the winner in this instance.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We’ve got plenty of depth and have Bear, Bouchard, and Jones all knocking on the door. The biggest issue right now is we have too many 5/6 types and are seriously missing a 3/4. Klefbom/Larsson is an acceptable - but below average - top pairing, and Nurse is a #3 with upside, but in no way shape or form should either Russell or Benning be on the 2nd pairing.

Klefbom / Larsson: I think this is a solid top 4D pairing

Nurse / ????: No offense to Russel but this is the real hole here. Nurse had a great year last year. He needs a PMD to play with him.

Benning / Bouchard: I don't know much about Benning. I think Bouchard is a good one!

I see no issues with the 1st pairing. The 2nd pairing is missing a complementary piece. The last pairing can be good if Bouchard is better sooner rather than later.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
TBH it's Ottawa that will say no here. Ryan has game left in him, Lucic is the useless one. I mean.. I wouldn't do this deal if I were any of the GMs BUT Edmonton comes out the winner in this instance.
Ryans glass hands are scary. Lucic also only had one terrible half a season so far. He is horrible to watch with his hunched over skating and terrible stick handling but he could bounce back and be a 50 point player that can randomly take over games again

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oilers are kinda stuck with their d until sekera and Russel are moveable . But when healthy klefbom nurse sekera Russell and larsson are all locks on the team and the last spot is gonna eventually be bouchards if it isn't already

Too bad Sekera is hurt. He might be a good fit with Nurse? But he also shoots left. Seems like your lacking RD. If Bouchard can show the ability to handle it, would he be a good fit with Nurse? The issue here is Nurse is only 23 and he also needs a reliable guy to play with.

You guys need a time machine

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Too bad Sekera is hurt. He might be a good fit with Nurse? But he also shoots left. Seems like your lacking RD. If Bouchard can show the ability to handle it, would he be a good fit with Nurse? The issue here is Nurse is only 23 and he also needs a reliable guy to play with.

You guys need a time machine
What are their lines atm ? I would assume Russell would go back to the right side . Last time sekera was actually healthy and good nurse was third pair and sekera russell were the second. In a couple years oilers fans gotta hope the top four is nurse bouchard and klefbom larsson

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Nurse / ????: No offense to Russel but this is the real hole here. Nurse had a great year last year. He needs a PMD to play with him.

Benning / Bouchard: I don't know much about Benning. I think Bouchard is a good one!

I see no issues with the 1st pairing. The 2nd pairing is missing a complementary piece. The last pairing can be good if Bouchard is better sooner rather than later.

Pretty much right. Klefbom/Larsson/Nurse are all good top 4 defencemen. Russell is a good #5 that makes way too much. Benning is a #6 right now and any attempt to give him more responsibility has been disastrous. Bear and Bouchard could both handle #6 duties without issue but they’re blocked until they can leapfrog into a 4 spot. Garrison is a 7. Sekera when he came back was terrible and made rookie defencemen worse.

That #4 spot is arguably our biggest hole right now, even more so than wingers. The addition of, say, a Jared Spurgeon would do a massive amount of good for this team.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I sincerely doubt it. Lucic had a really bad stretch but he’s a better player than that and even if you think they’re close Edmonton isn’t adding additional cap.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Russell actually had a great year last year as well. He doesn't ideally with Nurse, but Russell would be far better served on the third pairing alongside Benning. Benning and Bouchard as a pair is bad news waiting to happen. Benning is a good bottom pair guy. Bouchard has the tools but may not be ready. Both need someone to babysit them a bit, until they prove otherwise. Honestly, I'd like to see Bear or Bouchard get that spot beside Nurse and see how that works, and Russell on the bottom pair with Benning.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Some Sens fans discussed this in the summer, I'd do it. At least if Lucic is done as a scorer he can be a presence on the third or fourth line, and the Sens save a bit of cash.

I do think see why Edmonton does this. Ryan's offensive upside is higher, but his injury history and historically iffy conditioning means they'll have a hard time getting consistent contributions.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->