Bobby Ryan drafted, Flyers come knocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
balddog66 said:
Let's say your team drafts Bobby Ryan, the first phone call you get is from Bobby Clarke. He's offered you one of Pitkanen, Carter or Richards for Ryan...do you make the deal?
I make it. Nothing against Ryan (I've already said in other threads that he's my choice ahead of Pouliot and Kopitar). But an untried kid of anything short of Crosby stature can't be measured against the likes of Pitkanen, Carter, or Richards. I'd take any of those three ahead of Ryan right now.

Of course, if I was Bobby Clarke, I'd be doing my utmost to figure out a different way of getting him if I wanted him that badly...

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
In exactly one second...for Carter or Pitkanen.

For Richards, I'd probaby pass (unless you're talking Brad and not Mike).

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Pantokrator said:
Well, we are talking about Bobby Clarke...

BC is such an idiot that the Flyers are in terrible shape, right?

I would trade Richards in a package for Ryan, but not Pitkanen or Carter, both of whom I feel are worth more by themselves.

How about this package for Ryan... Stephan Ruczicka and two firsts for Ryan and a third?

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
DarthSather99 said:
Carter and their #1 pick.....if he's really hot for him you can rob him blind.

I do that in a seconfd. If the Leafs were to pick 2nd and got that offer id flip.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Clarke loves Ryan and the latter idolizes Clarke. However, it wouldn't be in the best interests of the Flyers to pursue Bobby Ryan right now.

1.) The Flyers already have way too many centers. Primeau, Handzus, Richards and Carter. And that is with Roenick and Sharp converted to RWs.

2.) The Flyers already have five of six very young players entering (or playing in) their lineup in the next two years. Carter, Richards, Pitkanen, Niittymaki, Sharp and Seidenberg. Adding a young Ryan in the next couple of years would be detrimental to this contending team.

3.) Why waste trading a fortune for a guy and then spending money, time and effort to develop him (he may not even develop for all we know!) when Clarke can just sign an established Bobby Ryan when he becomes an UFA at 27?

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
More interestingly ... does anyone think that one of the early (2-8) picking teams might take Ryan with exactly this thought in mind? Or would they just try to move the pick to PHI?

CH Wizard

For Richards, no way.

I'd hang up the phone if he doesn't offer Carter and something else.

I know, he wouldn't trade Carter...

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
balddog66 said:
Let's say your team drafts Bobby Ryan, the first phone call you get is from Bobby Clarke. He's offered you one of Pitkanen, Carter or Richards for Ryan...do you make the deal?

I hope Bobby Clarke is high...Ryan looks to be a very good prospect but the players you mention have at this point more potential.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You're telling me that if you were on the clock and Clarke calls you and offers you Mike Richards in order for Clarke to move up to draft Ryan, you wouldn't do it? Naturally, I assume you'd drop down to Clarke's draft position in the first round. I'd do that.

Would I rather have one of Ryan, Pouliot, Kopitar et al

OR

Would I rather have Mike Richards + a Bergfors/Parent/Price/Rask/Hanzal etc. etc.

It's an interesting question but, to me, it's in the best interests of some teams to stock up on prospects. So, if a GM is offering you a freebie (which is basically what Mike Richards would be in this scenario), you have to take it.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
MojoJojo said:
BC is such an idiot that the Flyers are in terrible shape, right?

As a Ranger fan I hate BC but I gotta say that he has done a great job of GM keeping Philly ocmpetitive and accumilating good young talent with low draft picks. I wish I could say our GM did that ....

I would actually be afraid to make a trade with Philly thinking that BC would outsmart Glen Sather.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
One of the reason BC gets dumped on his because of the deal for Oates...but for every deal like that he makes 2 or 3 deals that are much better for the Hockey club...ala Esche and Handzus from Pheonix thiefery or the rapage of the Canadians for LeClair and Desjardins...He is a top 5 GM in this league waether people want to admit it or not.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I agree with those in the thread saying I'd do it for Pitkanen or Carter, but not Richards. Richards, I feel, is getting a touch overrated. In fact, so is Carter...but he's a bit more deserving of it. For most teams, I don't consider a trade with Philly unless one of Pitkanen or Carter is involved. If I'm Nashville, we don't really need Pitkanen, so it would be solely based around Jeff Carter, who the Preds could use desperately.

GagneScores12

Jul 14, 2005
Ontario
GagsIsDaMan said:
One of the reason BC gets dumped on his because of the deal for Oates...but for every deal like that he makes 2 or 3 deals that are much better for the Hockey club...ala Esche and Handzus from Pheonix thiefery or the rapage of the Canadians for LeClair and Desjardins...He is a top 5 GM in this league waether people want to admit it or not.

It's funny though that when people mention the Oates deal, everyone conveniently fails to forget that our top two centermen at the time went down with some pretty serious injuries and we were in a bind. As well, Chicago was bidding on Oates' services and were willing to give up a lot to get him as well.

As for deals, let's not forget the Langkow deal also ended up netting us Carter and Pitkanen was a result of that deal as well (the 2nd round pick involved in 2002, along with Ruslan Fedotenko helped us secure Pitkanen).

The only problem with Clarkie is that for every five or six great deals he makes, he will make one very bad deal in which he is completely schooled. The Comrie trade is a good example of that. I think the organization gave up on Comrie too soon. Remember that this was a guy who didn't have a training camp and was expected to make an impact right away. When he didn't, they cast him to the curb and Kevin Lowe schooled us with what he got in return for him....a potential top 4 defenseman and a first round pick in return. When we dealt Comrie, we got a suspect prospect (who should develop into a decent prospect as long as the Phantoms put Eager on a scoring line to develop his offensive game), a has been goaltender who stank up the joint in his second go around in Philadelphia (Sean Burke was absolutely terrible) and Branko...who could be a good one if they showed some confidence in him.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Jovanovski = Norris said:
Clarke loves Ryan and the latter idolizes Clarke. However, it wouldn't be in the best interests of the Flyers to pursue Bobby Ryan right now.

1.) The Flyers already have way too many centers. Primeau, Handzus, Richards and Carter. And that is with Roenick and Sharp converted to RWs.

You know what, that`s a really great point, imagine how good it would be if Ryan was actually a centre.

Ryan is exactly what the Flyers need, a winger prospect, a big body power forward and a playmaker. Three things the Flyers lack.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
GagsIsDaMan said:
Not to mention Daymond Langkow for the option of a 2002 1st Rounder and a 2003 2nd Rounder or a 2002 Secound Rounder and a 2003 First Rounder. That basically got us two of the three prospects mentioned in this thread.

The 2003 1st Round Pick turned into Jeff Carter and the 2002 2nd Round Pick was part of the trade for Tampa's 2002 1st Round Pick (Joni Pitkanen)

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
mazmin said:
A lot of teams would do Ryan for Handzus.

I might think about that. But I wish I would know how Carter and Richards look at center before we trade Handzus. I'm not sure the final deal would look like that though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
GagneScores12 said:
It's funny though that when people mention the Oates deal, everyone conveniently fails to forget that our top two centermen at the time went down with some pretty serious injuries and we were in a bind. As well, Chicago was bidding on Oates' services and were willing to give up a lot to get him as well.

I think the funny thing about the Oates deal is that (IMO) he didn't give up all that much when it comes down to it. I think it's the just the typical HF mentality to overrate prospects (in this case Ouellet) and draft picks. Clarke traded the #26, #59, and #92 picks. The Flyers already had two other 2nd round selections in that draft (#34, #52) which they traded for Pitkanen.

In losing Oates as a UFA to the Ducks the following summer, the Flyers received a 3rd round (85th overall) pick.

I love how everybody brings up this deal, but nobody ever brings up the Avalanche trading Robyn Regehr to rent Theo Fleury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->