Bobby Ryan comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
I hear all sorts of good things about him, and I know his family is close with Bobby Clarke. Does he compare to anyone currently or recently in the NHL? Also, what do you think are the chances the Flyers trade up to draft him? The organization seems to be very high on him.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Last year I thought the Flyers would be able to snatch him up by trading up a few spots. The closer it gets to the draft this year, or at least the time it would normally be held at, I don't see him becoming a Flyer. The Flyers would have to trade up to the top 10 at least, that's where I see this guy going.

It's a shame though, the Flyers love him and Bobby likes Clarkie and the Flyers, and he should be a great NHL player.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think the automatic response is to call him a powerforward, and then maybe people start mentioning names like Shanahan, Tkachuk, Nolan, etc. Well, I don't think those guys are really the comparables. Ryan is a powerforward, but he's not really a chippy or abrasive or combative one. He cycles really well and goes into traffic, but he's not trying to hurt anybody. Maybe a John LeClair in his prime (though I'm not convinced that Ryan has the big shot that LeClair used to), or the modern-day productive version of a Mike Knuble. Something more along those lines (there's probably an even better comparable, but I'm just not thinking of it now) than the classic aggressive power forward type. :dunno:

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Blind Gardien said:
I think the automatic response is to call him a powerforward, and then maybe people start mentioning names like Shanahan, Tkachuk, Nolan, etc. Well, I don't think those guys are really the comparables. Ryan is a powerforward, but he's not really a chippy or abrasive or combative one. He cycles really well and goes into traffic, but he's not trying to hurt anybody. Maybe a John LeClair in his prime (though I'm not convinced that Ryan has the big shot that LeClair used to), or the modern-day productive version of a Mike Knuble. Something more along those lines (there's probably an even better comparable, but I'm just not thinking of it now) than the classic aggressive power forward type. :dunno:

It is hard to think of who to compare him to. He's a power forward type who chooses, more often than not, to deke out guys than use a LeClair like shot. Like you said, it's hard to tell if it is that good, because he hardly uses it. Again, like you said, he plays a fairly clean game.

He's got great size, soft hands, play well defensively and plays a fair game. Can anyone think of a comparable NHLer?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
RuzickaFan23 said:
It is hard to think of who to compare him to. He's a power forward type who chooses, more often than not, to deke out guys than use a LeClair like shot. Like you said, it's hard to tell if it is that good, because he hardly uses it. Again, like you said, he plays a fairly clean game.

He's got great size, soft hands, play well defensively and plays a fair game. Can anyone think of a comparable NHLer?
I kept trying not to say Forsberg, because really he doesn't have the same creativity or pure puck control, but some of the ways which he'll hold the puck in traffic with guys hanging on him are similar. That's not really a comparable player, just a vague similarity to mention in seeking out a more comparable player. LeClair used to have the ability to pull some nifty surprise dekes too, but it's not like that was his preference. Andreychuk in his prime was a bit too stationary to my mind to make a good comparison either. I don't see Shane Doan enough these days to know how he's playing anymore, but even though he usually keeps it pretty clean too, I still think of him as more of a willing crasher. Maybe Handzus or some other large-body European player would be a better direction to think towards? :dunno:

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Handzus is getting closer, but I think Ryan uses his size more effectively. He's more physical, but isn't the type to go out of his way to crunch somebody along the boards.

Maybe we'll have to settle for Handzus with an edge to his game? :dunno:

balddog66

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I thought Ryan has looked like Nash did in the OHL...course I would never have predicted the NHL success Nash has had to date....so who knows.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i would love it if the flyers moved up to draft ryan. hes a prototypical flyer and from the philly area; big, can score, and uses his body to his advantage. if there was gonna be any player that clarke would move up to get, i could see it being ryan. ryan skates with the flyers in the off season, and clarke is a family adviser, supposedly the one that convinced him to go to the ohl over the ntdp, so there is a relationship there that could bring bobby back to philly

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
RuzickaFan23 said:

Maybe Doan? Doan's definately physical but not so much abrasive. He keeps his PIMs down, and worries more about winning than being combative. He plays PP and PK. He's a nice guy and a good leader, too. I don't know anything about Ryan but it sounds like you guys could be talking about Doan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->