Bobby Ryan: An Interesting Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Click Here for The Story

If you're ever bored and want a good read check this article out about 1987 Bobby Ryan. He plays for the Owen Sound Attack of the OHL. Listed as 6'2'' and 210 lbs. on the Attack website. Don't know if his name is know much but I could see him being something someday.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Pretty incredible story. He didn't put up bad numbers this year either. Any more info on how he played this year? Is he really a top pick for the 2005 draft like the article implies?

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
I think he could go in the first round, he's got huge size and he put up good numbers like you said. 9th in rookie scoring with 65 GP, 22 G, 17 A and 39 PTS and 52 PIM but was a minus 17. He throws his weight around and is well liked in Owen Sound. He was invited to the Flyers camp last season also, if no one else is interested it sounds like Clarkie is, which I don't mind. His main knock is that he looks slow at times. He also came to camp in poor condition which caused a slow start. He's also had a slow end and playoff run, but he's only 16 and a 68 game schedule can be draining on rookies.

There is some confusion over his size, listed on the Attack site as 6'2, 210. The OHL site says 6'1, 180 and the Attack program says 6'1, 220. Either way he's huge for a 16 year-old.

Last edited:

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
From HockeyScouting.ca:

1) Bobby Ryan is a 6-1, 180 pound 1987 born right winger who played for the Honeybaked AAA 1987's last season. Most scouts compare Ryan to a young Jason Allison. "I love him," states one scout, "he has the three S's that every scout is looking for -- speed, size and skill, he will be a big-timer at any level he plays." Scouts think that Ryan is like a little blond girl with curls - he can be very, very good, and very, very bad when he wants to be. "He is in a class by himself some games you see him play," states one scout, "for a big man he has a good set of hands and a solid shot, the ability to make a play in traffic and better than average vision for a power forward. But other times ... I know that the USNTDP coaches were just up in arms when www.hockeyscouting.ca stated that he was lousy on the first day of tryouts there," says one scout, "but they were on the mark, his game can be inconsistent, he can be a big time player, but to do that you have to play hard every shift, and he is still learning that, in minor hockey he can take shifts off and come back with a strong third period where he gets two goals, but at the next level you cannot get away with that." Most scouts feel if Ryan continues to get good coaching he will develop into a high end player. "If he gets good coaching on the little things like battling through checks consistently, rolling off hits, keeping his feet moving and help with the mental aspects of the game," states one scout, "he will be a real dominating player, remember he is just one year removed from playing hockey in California so he is just going to get better and better - I think he has some untapped potential." Many scouts feel that Ryan has the potential to be a pro. "You would have to project him to be a first rounder in the NHL draft for 2005 because he has all the tools pro scouts are looking for, I think that with good coaching and power skating he will be a top notch prospect," states one scout.

2) Hockey Scouting correspondent Tom Varley takes a crack at who he thinks are the top NHL Draft Prospects from the Ontario Hockey League for the 2005 NHL Draft. (Bobby Ryan was first on his list.)

3) "To say that we are pleased, would be the understatement of the year," said GM Michael Futa in a team press release, "Bobby is the young man that our entire scouting staff had rated as the number one pick in the entry draft, and after a very enjoyable process of educating Bobby and his family on Owen Sound and the many benefits of the Ontario Hockey League...we are ecstatic to finally have his name on the dotted line." - After signing Bobby to a contract

4) Bobby Ryan (Honeybaked 87's AAA) should have not even bothered showing up, his effort was none exhistant tonight. Ryan has all the potential in the world but he has to learn how to turn it on and play a full 60 minutes of hockey, when he does he will an impact player at any level he plays at, reminds us a lot of Josef Stumpel, all the tools but needs more consistency. When he is on his game he is head and shoulders the best kid kid at camp.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think Bobby Ryan is a big time prospect for the 2005 draft.

Sure he isn't the quickest, but he's monsterous for a kid his age. And he's got outstanding puck skills and hands. Not to mention he's physical and way ahead physically then anyone else his age.

If he can get himself a little bit better conditioned for next year, improve the skating a little bit, I could easily see him being a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick next season.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
I think Bobby Ryan is a big time prospect for the 2005 draft.

Sure he isn't the quickest, but he's monsterous for a kid his age. And he's got outstanding puck skills and hands. Not to mention he's physical and way ahead physically then anyone else his age.

If he can get himself a little bit better conditioned for next year, improve the skating a little bit, I could easily see him being a top 10, maybe even top 5 pick next season.

1987 OHL forwards Chris Lawrence and Ryan O'Marra are as tall or taller than Ryan. Ryan is heavier because he is fatter. Defensemen Marc Staal and Matt Pelech are also bigger than Ryan.

Heshmatpour is a d-man listed at 6'6" , 233 lbs. I don't think that Ryan is "way ahead physically" over him.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Juan said:
1987 OHL forwards Chris Lawrence and Ryan O'Marra are as tall or taller than Ryan. Ryan is heavier because he is fatter. Defensemen Marc Staal and Matt Pelech are also bigger than Ryan.

Heshmatpour is a d-man listed at 6'6" , 233 lbs. I don't think that Ryan is "way ahead physically" over him.

Way Ahead Physically was meant as, A) They have strength and bulk and B), they known how to use their size effectively.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Brock said:
Way Ahead Physically was meant as, A) They have strength and bulk and B), they known how to use their size effectively.

As a follower of Owen Sound, among other Western Conference teams, I can tell you that Ryan hasn't used his size or done anything else effectively for the last three months.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Juan said:
As a follower of Owen Sound, among other Western Conference teams, I can tell you that Ryan hasn't used his size or done anything else effectively for the last three months.

Well I'm just going by the few times I've seen him.

He was like a pitbull, crashed the net, great skill set. Seemed to do pretty much everything very well except skate and play defense.

However, you did mention Ryan O Marra, and he's someone I actually like just as much as Ryan, if not more. He was monsterous in Erie's upset of Sarnia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad