Proposal: Bobby Ryan 1 for 1

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Only way Ottawa unloads Ryan is if they prime his offensive numbers. Give him all the optimal O-zone starts, top PP minutes, top line, give him like 20+ minutes a night and hope his numbers start looking attractive. The Canucks did the same thing with Cody Hodgson. Otherwise, that cap for another 4 years is going to be impossible to move.

Reactions: Cogsfordogs7

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Only way Ottawa unloads Ryan is if they prime his offensive numbers. Give him all the optimal O-zone starts, top PP minutes, top line, give him like 20+ minutes a night and hope his numbers start looking attractive. The Canucks did the same thing with Cody Hodgson. Otherwise, that cap for another 4 years is going to be impossible to move.
You mean they were not giving it to him?
Someone is confused.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
You mean they were not giving it to him?
Someone is confused.

Nope. Last year the most used combo on the PP, was Duchene, Brassard, Hoffman, Stone, Karlsson at 8.2% usage on the PP. Including a PP/TOI/GP that put him 7th on the Sens last season. Meaning 6 other players got more minutes than him.

His 5on5 ZS% was 50.36. They bumped up Turris to 61.39 in the 11 games before they dealt him. Seriously look what the team did with Turris. That's what they need to do with Ryan. Turris was playing like 3 and a half mins of PP a night with 60& Ozone starts lol.

I will say yes, he played with a lot of the better Ottawa players, he played Duchene Stone etc throughout the season, but the team can do a lot more in pumping his stats up. Whether they want to or not, it's doubtful, but they can do a lot more to try and make him moveable.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Johnny Boychuk.

Same term. Equally off-putting contract considering his age, but can still man a top four defense slot and play the point on the PP. It likely wouldn't be one for one though since Ryan is owed considerably more in real cash compared to what Boychuk is on the remainder of his deal.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Abdelkader makes some sense I guess, longer term but smaller cap hit. Not sure why either team would do it though

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ryan's hands (specifically fingers) are done. Only guys like Lucic/Seabrook/Ladd fit here.
Ya. Just knowing his history makes those other guys look appealing.

Give this guy an orange. Peeled even. And ask him to squish it.

If I had to bet I think I go with the orange coming out unharmed. Ryan to IR. Hand unsticky

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Melnyk puts a sign on Ryan’s locker

hqdefault.jpg

*”Not because I want you here”

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Johnny Boychuk.

Same term. Equally off-putting contract considering his age, but can still man a top four defense slot and play the point on the PP. It likely wouldn't be one for one though since Ryan is owed considerably more in real cash compared to what Boychuk is on the remainder of his deal.

Boychuk's still playing solid top 4 minutes, which the isles weak D badly needs .
He is no longer a durable workhorse because of his knee,but worth way more to the nyi then Ryan would be.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Ryan's hands (specifically fingers) are done. Only guys like Lucic/Seabrook/Ladd fit here.

There is was some confusion in a recent Ryan thread, over whether Ryan had to be protected in the expansion draft because of his NMC.

If he does, take the nyi out of the mix.
Ladd does not have to be protected.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not quite one for one, but...

Ryan @ 4 years x 3.625M Cap (2.75M salary year 1/3.75M salary for three seasons after that)

for

Zetterberg @ 3 years x 6.083333M LTIR Cap (670k salary post insurance this season/200k salary two seasons after that)
Franzen @ 2 years x 3.954545M LTIR Cap (200k post insurance salary)

This is assuming Zetterberg and Franzen are both insured.

Including the cost of a replacement body on the Sens roster, that means the retained salary and insured contracts cost Ottawa 13.8M. In total, starting in 19-20, the Senators save almost 9M of a possible 22.5M in salary remaining on Ryan's contract if they make this trade.

-That is better for Ottawa than a Ryan buyout, because his signing bonuses cannot be bought out. Allows them to move on from Ryan and most of all save 9M of what they owe Ryan starting in 19-20.
-DET would not have to protect Ryan in an expansion draft
-DET sheds well over 10M in LTIR cap while taking on 3.625M in regular cap. This could be important with young players on the roster like Zadina and the possible signing bonuses that come with that. In general, it just gives them more flexibility to make moves.
-DET could possibly get an asset for Ryan to aid their rebuild. If they retain half of Ryan's remaining 3.625M cap hit, could they not get a 2nd or 3rd round pick from a team for Bobby Ryan at 1.8125M?
-If DET retains half on Ryan and deals him to another team for an asset, they've effectively traded approx 11M of LTIR cap hit for only 1.8125M of regular cap, and they've received an asset to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad