Bobby Orr- what was his greatest attribute?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
We know of the greatness of great #4, but what above anything else and all the things he could do well made Orr the hockey immortal that he was?

Was it the skating? The passing? The rushing? His ability to shoot? His mastery/connection with great teammates (Espo/Bucyk)? Speed? His sense of the game?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
His skating WITH the puck. There's a difference between pure figure skater types and guys that can skate with the puck.

Killing penalties by himself by skating back and forth on the ice made his opponents look silly. His penalty killing broke all the rules. A shorthanded player is supposed to skate up the ice toward his opponent's end, and when opposing checkers got close to him he was supposed to dump it in and then turn back to defend or do a line change.

Orr would skate up, and when guys converged on him, he'd all of a sudden turn back toward his own end unexpectedly, sometimes even going all the way back behind his own net. The he'd skate up ice again and again turn back when his opponents least expected it. He really looked like a man among boys.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
His skating WITH the puck. There's a difference between pure figure skater types and guys that can skate with the puck.

Killing penalties by himself by skating back and forth on the ice made his opponents look silly. His penalty killing broke all the rules. A shorthanded player is supposed to skate up the ice toward his opponent's end, and when opposing checkers got close to him he was supposed to dump it in and then turn back to defend or do a line change.

Orr would skate up, and when guys converged on him, he'd all of a sudden turn back toward his own end unexpectedly, sometimes even going all the way back behind his own net. The he'd skate up ice again and again turn back when his opponents least expected it. He really looked like a man among boys.
Absolutely. Those of us who saw him probably remember this more than anything else — Orr was like an instructor at a hockey camp in a playful game of keepaway with 5 tykes. I won’t swear to this, but sometimes I think he was actually smiling as the seconds ticked off the clock.

Interestingly, there are very few clips of Orr skating backwards at full speed in a classic D-man posture, maintaining gap control and using his stick to break up plays. It’s fairly easy to find clips of Fetisov’s dazzling backwards skating, but not so with Orr. So often Orr defended while skating forwards, which sounds bizarre but was highly effective because he’d be right on his man and usually angle him into the boards and strip the puck. Part of this technique was based on Orr’s ability to hold the offensive blue line better than any defenceman I’ve ever seen — if he did get beaten there, all he needed was 2-3 strides to recover and he’d pick the opponent’s pocket and have the puck again.

We don’t see defencemen who kill penalties or defend like this. Total “wow” factor.

Edit: just for fun, watch a clip of game 3 in the 1987 Canada Cup, the 4th Soviet goal that puts them up 4-2 (I think it’s right near the end of the first period). A Canada powerplay just ended. Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Bourque and Coffey are out the whole time. The Soviets eventually clear the puck out of their own zone and Bourque retrieves it at his own blue line.

Bourque tried a spin move and simply falls down — there’s no profound pressure on him at all. The Soviet player, I think it was Khomutov, is utterly gifted a breakaway and beats Fuhr.

Bourque was a very fine skater, but I cannot imagine Orr falling on an open ice spin move with no genuine pressure on him in any game, let alone one so important. That’s the difference between the best skating defenceman in history and someone from that tier one step down.

Last edited:

85highlander

Apr 2, 2007
As others have said, Bobby Orr's all-around skating ability really set him apart, and on the old tube skates...crazy to think what he might have accomplished with today's skates.

At the 1:15 mark, here's Harry Sinden talking about Orr's skating ability - good stuff...

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
He was a great human being.

Starting in the late 60's he hosted the Bobby Orr – Mike Walton Sports Camp. Hundreds of kids age 7-15 participated over the years including the Maloney brothers and Clint Malarchuk. Imagine being a kid in those days and receiving instruction from Bobby Orr in the peak of his game? I don't see too many superstars today willing to give up some of their off-season host summer camps like these.

first-question-when-the-youngsters-have-their-session-with-bobby-orr-picture-id502491679

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I remember Bobby Clarke saying Orr should be kicked out of the league because he's too good for the NHL and he's wasting his time here

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
He was the best skater of his time but he was also as good, or better, than anyone else in the other categories. I guess if I had to pick just one it would be skating but it was the "everything" that made him Bobby Orr.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
With all due respect, have you ever watched his highlights or some old game footage? He basically just skated around everyone.

Reactions: Tarantula

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
His hockey sense and his skating. I guess you could say his skating. But keep in mind, Jay Bouwmeester could skate too............to be like Orr you need to have lots between the ears and confidence. Derek Sanderson once said Orr had peripheral vision.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
His hockey sense and his skating. I guess you could say his skating. But keep in mind, Jay Bouwmeester could skate too............to be like Orr you need to have lots between the ears and confidence. Derek Sanderson once said Orr had peripheral vision.
Did Derek not realize most people do?

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Not to take anything away from his talent (everything said is accurate) but it doesn't hurt his legacy that he has a name with such a ring to it... kind of like "Tim Horton", it's a classic hockey-sounding name

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
We know of the greatness of great #4, but what above anything else and all the things he could do well made Orr the hockey immortal that he was?

Was it the skating? The passing? The rushing? His ability to shoot? His mastery/connection with great teammates (Espo/Bucyk)? Speed? His sense of the game?
Could I cheat and say he could do everything as good or better than anybody else in the league?

If I had to say one thing, it would be skating. It is the most important skill in hockey and it's the skill he was better than anybody else at.

However, towards the end of his career he was virtually one-legged (and the leg that remained wasn't that great), but his points per game and defensive play was still incredible. Look at what he accomplished in the '76 Canada Cup when his blazing speed was all but gone.

Reactions: authentic

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Did Derek not realize most people do?

Well maybe, maybe not.............I think he meant it more in the context of on the ice. Orr had eyes in the back of his head. It is more of a metaphor than anything I guess

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I know everyone is going to throw rotten vegetables at me as I say this, but there was a brief period in the season prior to Karlsson having his Achilles severed where he just seemed to be everywhere at once.

He could gamble because he inevitably caught whoever got by him.

It was like having an extra player on the ice - a forward and a defenceman.

Anyway, proceed with your pitchforks and torches but I thought it was quite reminiscent of the great Bobby Orr.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Partially to be contrarian, but I'll say (like Gretzky, like Lemieux, like Gordie) - his brain (or "sense of the game", as was stated in the OP).

Yes, he was likely one of the greatest skaters ever. But lots of guys can skate like the wind, stop on a dime, stickhandle through 20 defenders...and they end up producing next to nothing at the highest level. What separates those four from the rest of the mortal world is their ability to see, to predict, to anticipate the game and where players would move.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad