Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Happy Birthday to 2 of my heroes. :cheers::cheers:

2012-National-Hockey-Card-Day-Canada-Bobby-Orr-12.jpg

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
why do i have a funny feeling folks looking at the title of this thread think it's the birthday of a poster with a username of Bobby Orr? :laugh:

Robertus Gordanalia Orrum est, pro patria mori - It is sweet and seemly to die for Bobbie Orr.

Happy birthday to the only player that could have dominated whatever league, place, or era he played in.

(Happy birthday to you too Neely08.)

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Happy Birthday Bobby!

The GREATEST player to ever lace up a pair of skates!!!

N1fpPm.gif

...and Happy Birthday to Neely08 too! ...Where have you been?

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Thanks a lot. Very much appreciated.

I really did always feel special sharing a birthday w/ # 4. There's kind of an embarrassing story a/b meeting him that goes along w/ that, but I'll spare you.

I'm still around, just don't have much to say that I haven't already. Rough year you could smell coming all the way from last summer.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I really did always feel special sharing a birthday w/ # 4. There's kind of an embarrassing story a/b meeting him that goes along w/ that, but I'll spare you.

I'm still around, just don't have much to say that I haven't already. Rough year you could smell coming all the way from last summer.

Oh Come on . I want to hear / read the story about #4 .

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10

good to see you, either way.

Happy Birthday.

rough season....so true.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Oh Come on . I want to hear / read the story about #4 .

Heh, ok true hollywood stories w/ Neely08.

During the 70's early 80's my brothers and I had an opportunity as kids to billet w/ a Canadian family, and attend hockey camps and schools around Ontario. One of the big sells at one camp was that Bobby Orr would visit, and he did. (Another camp later on had Lanny McDonald and Darryl Sittler, and omg they kicked the **** out of us, cussed us out, it was ****in great!)

I may have been too young to really experience the Orr era (born in 71), but that didn't stop our coaches from drilling Orr and his genius into our heads w/ films, lectures, skating drills, etc etc. To put it simply, it was literally like meeting God for us.

It was at the end of the camp and each kid got to walk up and get a picture taken w/ him, have stuff signed, etc. Orr was just like you see him now or any other time, all smiles, humble and engaging, asking the kids their position, etc. My Dad shook his hand, told Orr we were from Boston, that I was a D-man b/c of my elite skating skills (basically I could skate backwards w/o falling down), and even had the same birthday as him.

Orr said, "Oh no kidding? March 20th? Well then you have a happy birthday from me!", and put out his hand for me to shake.

Me -- I stared blankly at his hand, then up to his face, then back. Brain and mouth totally inoperative.

#4 Bobby Orr then asked me how I liked playing defense, and I replied, ".........many.......mUch....Orr......BrUiN.....pUck....goOd........*mouth moving no sound coming out, brain the surface temp of Pluto.*"

At that point he just smiled at me as if to say "Don't worry, kid. I have this effect on mortals", and patted me hard on the right shoulder pad. He touched me. That shoulder tingled for like a week, I swear.

My Mom has the pictures somewhere. My older brothers are totally fine in their pic. Me? I look the epitome of completely freaked. :laugh: In my defense I was also probably one of the youngest there. A lot of childhood memories from that time are just a blur. But I will always remember that.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

During the 70's early 80's my brothers and I had an opportunity as kids to billet w/ a Canadian family, and attend hockey camps and schools around Ontario. One of the big sells at one camp was that Bobby Orr would visit, and he did. (Another camp later on had Lanny McDonald and Darryl Sittler, and omg they kicked the **** out of us, cussed us out, it was ****in great!)

I may have been too young to really experience the Orr era (born in 71), but that didn't stop our coaches from drilling Orr and his genius into our heads w/ films, lectures, skating drills, etc etc. To put it simply, it was literally like meeting God for us.

It was at the end of the camp and each kid got to walk up and get a picture taken w/ him, have stuff signed, etc. Orr was just like you see him now or any other time, all smiles, humble and engaging, asking the kids their position, etc. My Dad shook his hand, told Orr we were from Boston, that I was a D-man b/c of my elite skating skills (basically I could skate backwards w/o falling down), and even had the same birthday as him.

Orr said, "Oh no kidding? March 20th? Well then you have a happy birthday from me!", and put out his hand for me to shake.

Me -- I stared blankly at his hand, then up to his face, then back. Brain and mouth totally inoperative.

#4 Bobby Orr then asked me how I liked playing defense, and I replied, ".........many.......mUch....Orr......BrUiN.....pUck....goOd........*mouth moving no sound coming out, brain the surface temp of Pluto.*"

At that point he just smiled at me as if to say "Don't worry, kid. I have this effect on mortals", and patted me hard on the right shoulder pad. He touched me. That shoulder tingled for like a week, I swear.

My Mom has the pictures somewhere. My older brothers are totally fine in their pic. Me? I look the epitome of completely freaked. :laugh: In my defense I was also probably one of the youngest there. A lot of childhood memories from that time are just a blur. But I will always remember that.

Thanks T. I hope you come back here as you are missed by many. You are such a good poster.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Love it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad