News Article: Bobby Mac - 'The Sedins just keep answering the bell'

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-sedins-just-keep-answering-the-bell-1.422353

Poignant and extremely interesting piece on the Twins. That story from the Juniors is Exhibit A of what they've had to endure in their careers. 18+ years of it, and they're still fantastic players & people. And still unafraid of anything.

Articles like this, coupled with open advocacy and defence on the part of guys like LeBrun (radio interview with Chris Nichols yesterday) and Friedman (in his 30 Thoughts) show that the perception of the Twins amongst Eastern media might, at long last, be shifting.

The quote from Jimbo is also one of the better (and more eloquent) things I've heard him say in his tenure, so there's that :p

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Sedins are probably one of the tougher players in the league.

They play when hurt. They'll take a hit to make a play. What else can you ask for?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
http://www.tsn.ca/talent/the-sedins-just-keep-answering-the-bell-1.422353

Poignant and extremely interesting piece on the Twins. That story from the Juniors is Exhibit A of what they've had to endure in their careers. 18+ years of it, and they're still fantastic players & people. And still unafraid of anything.

Articles like this, coupled with open advocacy and defence on the part of guys like LeBrun (radio interview with Chris Nichols yesterday) and Friedman (in his 30 Thoughts) show that the perception of the Twins amongst Eastern media might, at long last, be shifting.

The quote from Jimbo is also one of the better (and more eloquent) things I've heard him say in his tenure, so there's that :p

Great article. Though the comments below still make me just shake my head. Truly the world is not without idiots and the internet seems to breed them at an enormous pace.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I don't get it either, there are lots of non-confrontative players out there, say.... Lidstrom Datsyuk Sakic Bossy or Kariya... why do they get no respect?? Is it because they seem to have no tempers? Or because they are always referred to as "they" an entity...

Or are people seriously freaked out by twins really? like..... clowns?

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Damn they re even cooler now after this. Canadian teams kinda *** to trash talk like that but sometime it works.

Sedins are just laugh at them like yeah, you´ve learnt talk, good little buddy. That is very strong when you are 25 guys against 25 that are a good team and threaten you all the time, refs do nothing about it, then you have 20000 i the stands as well.

Cool reading. Swedes; Masters of innovation and hard work. Not IKEA :D

this:Sedin to Thornton "You talk a good game; I play one. Boom. Game over."

I´d say Denis Potvin is more of a low life btw

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't get it either, there are lots of non-confrontative players out there, say.... Lidstrom Datsyuk Sakic Bossy or Kariya... why do they get no respect?? Is it because they seem to have no tempers? Or because they are always referred to as "they" an entity...

I actually think its a combination of things. And I'm just floating ideas here, don't take it as an endorsement of this type of thinking or anything ...

1. Swedish stereotype. Soft swedes, don't fight, no grit, aren't Canadian tough, blah blah blah. Marchand and the 2011 thing probably increased that predjudice.

2. Being Twins. I don't know why but I think it plays into it somehow. I also think the ad they did for the NHL a decade ago ("Swedish twins") played into people's more xenophobic/homophobic side.

3. Skilled as a pair but not individually flashy. Somehow their passing and reliance on each other might appear "weaker" than a more powerful, individualistic player like Ovechkin who "forces" goals to happen with his will and power. Sedins are slower, more methodical, occasionally flashy but mostly in a passing sense. People don't get the same thrill or admiration from their "chess like" approach to hockey as they do from raw power and aggression.

4. Admittedly did get pushed around (and fell a lot) in their first few years in the league, which created an image that I think a lot of fans have been slow to update.

canuckfromtoronto

Hutton Chops
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Damn they re even cooler now after this. Canadian teams kinda *** to trash talk like that but sometime it works.

Sedins are just laugh at them like yeah, you´ve learnt talk, good little buddy. That is very strong when you are 25 guys against 25 that are a good team and threaten you all the time, refs do nothing about it, then you have 20000 i the stands as well.

Cool reading. Swedes; Masters of innovation and hard work. Not IKEA :D

this:Sedin to Thornton "You talk a good game; I play one. Boom. Game over."

I´d say Denis Potvin is more of a low life btw

Ow my head

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I really do respect the twins as people. I remember the older hockey fans tell me how Mike Bossy wouldn't get into fights but take the punishment and score.

They just want to be gentlemen. I respect that.

However, personally I believe the hockey game was meant to be played with intensity/physical battles etc.

I always consider Peter Forsberg the style of player as the ultimate hockey player. Skill first but also pushes back.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
I really do respect the twins as people. I remember the older hockey fans tell me how Mike Bossy wouldn't get into fights but take the punishment and score.

However, personally I believe the hockey game was meant to be played with intensity/physical battles etc.

I always consider Peter Forsberg the style of player as the ultimate hockey player. Skill first but also pushes back.

exactly

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

It's like elementary school, you get that first nickname and that stigma sticks with you till the end.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
4. Admittedly did get pushed around (and fell a lot) in their first few years in the league, which created an image that I think a lot of fans have been slow to update.

tbh, it's this. everything else comes out of this. even late bloomers like datsyuk came in and showed flashes. the sedins came in completely physically prepared to play in the NHL. i love them, but i am also was beyond surprised that they ever became anything more than cody hodgson in his first two years in buffalo.

young hotshots come into the league and they get tested. to use datsyuk as an example again, he was something like 150 pounds and weak as hell, but when he was tested he didn't back down. our first impressions of the sedins is that when they were tested, they just didn't look like they belonged playing the game against men. and brian burke's comments during the detroit series, while well intentioned, didn't do them any favours.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

That's why I don't want them traded. Both of these players play the game with integrity and commit time and money to the community.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I want these two to win a Stanley cup in vancouver so incredibly badly. I hope they can still contribute after their current deal and continue to play a few more years.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I loved a "fired up Jason Botchford" speaking with Gino Reda on TSN. I was thinking he was going to dial down his voice but to the contrary.

Him and Pratt should get together they both seem pretty fired up these days about the Sedin's and 'the change' in them this year.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
A family member used to work for Children's Hospital and had dealt with all Canucks, mayors, celebrities coming through since the 90's. Hands down she said the Sedins' were just the best period. Can't remember her exact line but it was simply that among all of these other great people that had come to visit and donate etc the Sedins were in a class by themselves.

banme*

Jun 7, 2014

They play for the Canucks.

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
"...heaven knows this game is at its best when it's bordering on its worst."

Probably the best hockey quote I've ever heard. Bob MacKenzie is miles above any current hockey analyst and IMHO maybe the best of all time.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Remember when Neil MacRae came up with the "Sedin sisters" thing? That has stuck with them their entire career. It still burns me every time I hear that festering sore doing ads on the radio.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
is it just me or does TSN have universal hatred for the Canucks?

as soon as one bad mouths the Leafs the mods reject the comments right away, but any clowns that spits at the Canucks is fair game.

like they are run by a bunch of ******es paid off by Toronto or something.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
They are almost old enough to get respect.

Just like Luongo is almost old enough to actually start getting the Vezina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad