Bobby Hull Videos

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Reactions: Vanzig

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Those are terrific! Your really reminded of what a force that guy was with that 2nd goal
reaching 51. Made it look easy. Out for a Sunday skate. Winds up from behind the Blue-Line & BOOM! :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Could they have given him any more room, Killion?:laugh: No one wanted to get in the way of that shot!

... :laugh: pretty crazy alright. between the time he picked up the puck, casually carried it behind his blue-line, turns, heads back across
the Blue & the Red-Line... winds up and shoots.... I coulda made myself a sandwich.. sat back down again in time to see it go in.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I find one comment on the video funny. He said what a great, unappreciated player Hull was.

Hull was THE superstar of the 60's. Nothing unappreciated about him.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I find one comment on the video funny. He said what a great, unappreciated player Hull was.

Hull was THE superstar of the 60's. Nothing unappreciated about him.
Yeah, I think he was THE superstar of the 60s, and he is possibly the greatest regular season goal-scorer in NHL (and WHA!) history. But I actually do think he is a bit unappreciated by the generations my age and younger.

He never won a Stanley Cup after 1961 (during which run he scored 'only' 4 goals in 12 games), so we never see film of Hull doing playoff heroics. Basically, we never see film of Hull. To this day, I have never seen the guy play, ever, on any archive footage (except a bit of the '76 Canada Cup, during which I believe he is a bit past his prime).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Bobby Hull Hattrick 1967

In 4-4 tie vs Leafs

Also shows a goal by Stan Mikita, and for the Leafs, Dave Keon, Red Kelly and Larry Hillman

9:41 long, best of Hull starts around 4 minute mark, with his goals starting a little after, first two on slapshots (he takes a number of them)

Pretty good view of the "banana blade" at around 6:35

From the 4:00 minute mark on, you really get a sense of how powerful he was, not just on the goals

Last edited:
Reactions: pappyline

Oldtimer64

Feb 25, 2016
Life long Blackhawk fan, I got to watch Hull play on tv, road games of course. I remember one game where he shot and the puck went in, hit the center of the net and came out as fast as it went in. No one saw it, it was never called a goal. It wasn't until they showed it in slow motion that you could see the puck go in, the goalie never moved. He was an amazing player during those years, he would pickup the puck behind his net and go coast to coast.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Life long Blackhawk fan, I got to watch Hull play on tv, road games of course. I remember one game where he shot and the puck went in, hit the center of the net and came out as fast as it went in. No one saw it, it was never called a goal. It wasn't until they showed it in slow motion that you could see the puck go in, the goalie never moved. He was an amazing player during those years, he would pickup the puck behind his net and go coast to coast.

Long time ago but IIRC he did that, twine and out, in an NHL AllStar game and I think they called it a good goal after checking...a normal game it would not have counted just as in the case of the goal/non goal you saw, but in this case they called it good (again IIRC...long time ago) The slapshot game from around the blueline from the left side (Hull's team's left)

Satch

Mar 31, 2016
Bobby Hull was a boyhood hero of mine and had the chance in the early 90's to get his autograph at a card show he was at and was blown away by how great he was with the fans. As I approached him sitting at his table I could see he had a huge ring on, to which I asked "Is that a cup ring?" He takes it off and hands it to me to examine.. I was quite taken back he would do this.. very impressed by how he loved his fans

Vintage hockey

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, I think he was THE superstar of the 60s, and he is possibly the greatest regular season goal-scorer in NHL (and WHA!) history. But I actually do think he is a bit unappreciated by the generations my age and younger.

He never won a Stanley Cup after 1961 (during which run he scored 'only' 4 goals in 12 games), so we never see film of Hull doing playoff heroics. Basically, we never see film of Hull. To this day, I have never seen the guy play, ever, on any archive footage (except a bit of the '76 Canada Cup, during which I believe he is a bit past his prime).
Playoff heroics

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Bobby Hull was powerful. Never saw him play, but when you watch the video on him the impression you get of him is man, this guy is powerful.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
Even though Bobby Hull was getting a bit older and wasn’t in his prime in the 1976 Canada Cup he was still unbelievable as he was (4th) in Tournament Points and 1st in GOALS with (5) as (3) of them were Game Winning Goals.

Pretty good for a guy who was 37 Years Old!!!

It would have been awesome to see HULL, ORR and even Howe play in the Summit Series 1972.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
I've been doing a bit of research on Hull, and I came across a bit of a discrepancy in the 74 Summit Series stats. All the stat summaries have Hull with 7 goals and 2 assists in the 8 games played, but if you look at the actual box scores (from The Summit in 1974: Game Summaries), he actually scored 6 goals and had 3 assists. I found the goal that seems to be in dispute, from game 8 of the series.

If you look at from about 30:45 in, from the beginning of the power play, through the goal at 31:22 and the replays ending at 32:00, you can see that Tremblay's shot maybe deflected off Hull, and maybe Backstrom tapped it in. I'm not well-versed on any historical discussions about the goal, but given the video quality, and assuming Howe did not touch it, you could make an argument for any of Hull/Backstrom/Tremblay to receive the Goal/Primary/Secondary assist credit. In the box score I linked above, it says Backstrom from Tremblay and Hull.

What is not in dispute is that was Hull's only point in the 4 games in the USSR, after scoring 8 in the first four games, including the hat trick game where Canada blew a 5-2 lead. It seems that the Russians concentrated their defense against the Lacroix/Hull line, as they just had a point apiece in Russia, while the Backstrom/Howe line provided the only consistent scoring in Russia.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What is not in dispute is that was Hull's only point in the 4 games in the USSR, after scoring 8 in the first four games, including the hat trick game where Canada blew a 5-2 lead. It seems that the Russians concentrated their defense against the Lacroix/Hull line, as they just had a point apiece in Russia, while the Backstrom/Howe line provided the only consistent scoring in Russia.
Let's not forget he had a goal disallowed in game 7, that would have given them a win and chance to tie the series in game 8. It was a fraction of a second to late, fair enough but for some timing issues (3 seconds not put back on the clock).

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Let's not forget he had a goal disallowed in game 7, that would have given them a win and chance to tie the series in game 8. It was a fraction of a second to late, fair enough but for some timing issues (3 seconds not put back on the clock).

I remember that goal well. It should have counted but the Russians played some games with the clock. Though I believe the referee that disallowed the goal was Canadian. Would he have made the same call if they were playing in Canada?

I believe Hull was playing injured during the Moscow part of the series. I think it was an arm injury but I will have to do a little more research.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->