Bobby Clarke

jgrossman

Mar 15, 2014
One thing I never understood about Booby C. was why ded he trade all those playes for draft picks. For example, I was shocked when he traded Cechmanek for only a 2nd round draft pick and Weinrich for 4th or 6th pick. I felt he could have gotten so much in return than what he got for them.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
One thing I never understood about Booby C. was why ded he trade all those playes for draft picks. For example, I was shocked when he traded Cechmanek for only a 2nd round draft pick and Weinrich for 4th or 6th pick. I felt he could have gotten so much in return than what he got for them.

He was dealing from a position of weakness in both cases.

People knew Checmanek burned bridges with his team mates and needed out.

Weinrich was a mistake. He should have been kept for depth as was evident with Kappanen playing d in the playoffs. Clark was always a players guy and wanted to do right by a good veteran and send him to a team where he would play.

jgrossman

Mar 15, 2014
Also, I understand that BC wanted to get a 2002 1st pick to get Pitkanen. But still, he should never have traded Fedotenko.

SaveHextall

Nov 21, 2006
Westchester, NY
No qualms with dealing Tank as the main piece for the 4th pick of the draft.

Weinrich however made no sense. I still believe if we kept him, we would have won it all in '04.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Between this thread and what I can only assume was what initiated it... the 2003 Team thread... I hope we can learn from this and understand Homer's tendency for keeping extra veteran D-men in the system to not again get caught short due to injuries... I believe Homer himself got burnt a couple/few PostSeasons back and had to rely on late season tryouts and young depth AHL call-ups in a dire pinch. Clarke's 2004 miscalculation on how being Mr. Nice Guy can come back to bite your arse was pre-Cap Era, but Homer is saying, 'Damn the Cap' as he not only has a high percentage tied up on D, but also insists on keeping some low Cap Veteran D-men in ice for emergencies... as witnessed with Gill and Gervais behind Gus as #8 and #9 rather than relying on the AHL unproven, while at times promising youngsters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad