Not open for further replies.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
another one of those classic goodenow responses

"shadup, you dont know what you are talking about, Go blame Gary, we are"

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
this is up there with his roger nielson rant.

"hey, we never asked him to get cancer".

he should seriously look in the mirrow and look at the damage he did with his chris gratton RFA offer.

monkey_00*

Buddhaful said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-nhl_lockout&prov=cp&type=lgns

Of course, Goodenow places 100 % of the blame on Bettman & the Owners.

Buddhaful.................

Thanks for the link...........once again Bobby Clarke doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.........as far as I'm concerned the longer the players stay locked the better it will be for Cities in Canada like Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec City.......I can see 2 or more NHL clubs from the States making a move up North here to Canada if the lockout goes well into next winter.....there'll be a few NHL clubs in the States thinking about relocation into Canada.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
it will be awesome to have nhl teams back in hamilton, winnipeg and quebec city.

nhl hockey in places where kids grow up playing and loving the game will only make the league stronger.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
I wish Bobby Clarke would slam me. My credibility could use a lift too.

this post is priceless !!!

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

i wish i would've come up with it, as it would make an awesome sig !!!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Always enjoy Goodenows well reasoned responses.

Goodenow responded by saying Clarke had no idea what he was talking about.

"If Bob had been present in these negotiations, as he was in the past, he would have some understanding of the actual issues involved," the executive director of the NHL Players' Association told The Canadian Press in an e-mail. "I encourage him to attend in the future...

So.... using Goodenows logic.... more than half of the NHLPA membership has no understanding of the actual issues because they haven't been present in the negotiations.
I guess that explains why so many of the players think there will be a better deal as time goes on. :amazed:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
hawker14 said:
this post is priceless !!!

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

i wish i would've come up with it, as it would make an awesome sig !!!

Thanks. All yours if you want it.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
Buddhaful said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-nhl_lockout&prov=cp&type=lgns

Of course, Goodenow places 100 % of the blame on Bettman & the Owners.
Well Clarke and his fellow NHL executives have long been free to engage in revenue sharing. To the detriment of the small market teams they chose not to. Clarke took every opportunity he could to steal stars from small market teams. He also pushed up payrolls beyond what was reasonable for those teams.

Clarke wasn't worried about small market teams before. When did he get religion?

Wetcoaster

This is the bozo who still defends Alan Eagleson. He has never forgiven Goodenow for helping nail his buddy "Good Old Al the Owners' Pal" by helping Andy Moog get documents out of the NHLPA offices.

While Clarke was Eagleson's handpicked President of the NHLPA according to Tim Daly the FBI agent in charge of the Eagleson investigation, Clarkie was receiving a secret annuity from The Flyers in the amount of $250,000 which was never disclosed to his fellow NHLPA members. Clarkie is just another dishonest and unethical scrote like Eagleson.
FBI Special Agent Thomas J. Daly, who led the 31/2-year investigation that led to Eagleson's indictment in 1994, also rejects the argument that players should have known what was going on.

Even after Eagleson's indictment, he said, ''some of the players were still befuddled as to what went on because it was a complex investigation . . . they were astounded when we would show them certain documents detailing Mr. Eagleson's scams.''

Daly said that when questions arose about Eagleson in the late 1980s, the players union hired an accounting firm to investigate.

Eagleson sent a letter to all players saying that he had been cleared of any wrongdoing, ''and the players took that at face value.''

Player representatives gave Eagleson a unanimous vote of support.

But Daly said the player representatives were often just rubber stamps for Eagleson.

''I thought that most of the people that were in those top executive positions, by their own admission, were hand-picked by Eagleson because they were Eagleson supporters,'' he said.

For example, Bobby Clarke, the Philadelphia Flyers star who was president of the union from 1976 to 1979 under Eagleson, told the FBI that he was never elected to the position.

''He was appointed by Mr. Eagleson,'' said Daly. ''There was no election . . . (He was) hand chosen.''

Clarke also revealed to the FBI that he had a special agreement with Philadelphia Flyers owner Ed Snider, unknown to other players.

''Mr. Clarke had a personal services contract which was good for the remainder of his lifetime,'' said Daly, ''which would pay him a certain sum of money.''

''My best recollection was that it was $250,000, U.S., per year,'' said Daly. ''He would be guaranteed that for life.''

Clarke remains a steadfast supporter of Eagleson.

''This man has been the best leader Hockey has ever had,'' Clarke, now president and general manager of the Flyers, said in a letter to the court supporting Eagleson. ''He has done more for Hockey Players and their families than anyone else has ever done.''

But Daly said his investigation of Eagleson convinced him that the players are right when they charge Eagleson and the NHL conspired to keep the players union under control.

''In my opinion, the National Hockey League owners through Ziegler basically gave international hockey to Alan Eagleson to run as he saw fit,'' said Daly. ''They would supply players from their clubs and in exchange for this, they would buy labor peace . . . They would get pretty much what they wanted out of the collective bargaining agreement.''

Daly said Ziegler and Wirtz and ''many others'' were ''targets'' early on in the FBI criminal investigation.

''We were looking at them as possible co-conspirators with Mr. Eagleson,'' Daly confirmed.

Ziegler and Wirtz were dropped from the criminal case, Daly said, when they agreed to testify before the Eagleson grand jury in Boston. The FBI was already looking to narrow the scope of the complex case, he said.
http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/19980705/SP_001.htm
Clarkie has a lot of credibility with the NHLPA :roll:

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I should have originally clarified this was by no means an endorsement for Bobby Clarke, who I believe is quite an idiot. Just thought it would make for 'fun' discussion.

The main thing I took from this article was Goodenow's response, which continues his track record of making himself look like a childish arse.

Goodenow>>Clarke (greater idiot that is).

dedalus

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buddhaful said:
The main thing I took from this article was Goodenow's response, which continues his track record of making himself look like a childish arse.
Agreed. Goodenow is ridiculously disingenuous when he says things like: "Gary Bettman and his owners group have been firmly in control. They have made every decision about expansion, franchise moves, playing rules, officiating, and marketing, while rejecting all input from players."

Bettman may indeed have rejected its opinions had the NHLPA offered any, but I have absolutely no memory of the NHLPA crying out against league expansion and more jobs; or against teams moving from smaller Canadian markets to bigger, more lucrative US markets. And I'm fairly certain the NHLPA moved strongly to block the league's attempts to limit the size of goalie pads.

Yeah, Bob, DAMN those league offices!!!! If only they'd listen to the NHLPA, everything would be fine!!!!!

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
hawker14 said:
it will be awesome to have nhl teams back in hamilton, winnipeg and quebec city.

nhl hockey in places where kids grow up playing and loving the game will only make the league stronger.

Sure ... and while you're at it, how about NHL teams in Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Thunder Bay?
Those cities you name have already proven they cannot sustain NHL franchises. What's changed? Whether people want to admit it or not, it takes more than fan support for an NHL franchise to succeed. It takes a large population, a significant media market and, most importantly, it takes a notable corporate presence to buy all those skyboxes and $300 seats down by the glass and sponsor the team.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
guymez said:
Always enjoy Goodenows well reasoned responses.

Goodenow responded by saying Clarke had no idea what he was talking about.

"If Bob had been present in these negotiations, as he was in the past, he would have some understanding of the actual issues involved," the executive director of the NHL Players' Association told The Canadian Press in an e-mail. "I encourage him to attend in the future...

So.... using Goodenows logic.... more than half of the NHLPA membership has no understanding of the actual issues because they haven't been present in the negotiations.
Not to mention that Bobby had a hall-of-fame career as a player and has been an NHL GM for over a decade now. I think it's safe to say that Bobby Clarke has "some understanding of the actual issues" involved here.

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
Weary said:
Well Clarke and his fellow NHL executives have long been free to engage in revenue sharing. To the detriment of the small market teams they chose not to. Clarke took every opportunity he could to steal stars from small market teams. He also pushed up payrolls beyond what was reasonable for those teams.

Clarke wasn't worried about small market teams before. When did he get religion?
Clarke is a GM, NOT an owner. He executes player transactions based on what the team's (supposed) needs are. Snider is the one that pushes the cash flow in Philly. As much as I enjoy watching Clarke spin webs of self-deceit, I have to give more credit to Snider for helping the salaries skyrocket.

Glacier

Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, and Ottawa are doing mighty fine with the way things are. They compete with the big markets and all have consistantly made the playoffs the last few years. It's just that itch named Alberta we can't get rid of...

monkey_00*

CarlRacki said:
Sure ... and while you're at it, how about NHL teams in Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Thunder Bay?
Those cities you name have already proven they cannot sustain NHL franchises. What's changed? Whether people want to admit it or not, it takes more than fan support for an NHL franchise to succeed. It takes a large population, a significant media market and, most importantly, it takes a notable corporate presence to buy all those skyboxes and $300 seats down by the glass and sponsor the team.

Racki...............

Humour me some more why don't you?............How about going over to the thread titled "Relocation" there you will see my posts regarding Hamilton's credibility as an NHL hockey market.........don't really feel like posting and repeating EVERYTHING on this thread.......Thunder Bay and Moose Jaw?.........ya ok........Hamilton is situated right smack in the Center of Southern Ontario; the most populated geographical area in all of Canada.........6.5-million within 1-hour radius of Hamilton....just under 2-million if you exclude Toronto and Western New York.........we also have strong corporate presence in Hamilton and Southern Ontario thank you very much.........................

..........................next time do your homework before making a post like the one you just did. :D

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The Maltais Falcon said:
Not to mention that Bobby had a hall-of-fame career as a player and has been an NHL GM for over a decade now. I think it's safe to say that Bobby Clarke has "some understanding of the actual issues" involved here.

Problem is he is somewhat resposible for those problems.

Ie chriss gratton, Roenick, leclair, lindros can all be laid at his door step in the escalation of salaries.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Glacier said:
Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, and Ottawa are doing mighty fine with the way things are. They compete with the big markets and all have consistantly made the playoffs the last few years. It's just that itch named Alberta we can't get rid of...

Vancouver operated on a $38 million dollar budget which is within the range the NHL wants so of course they were fine. Melnyk has been one of the owners crying lowdest in all of this and MTL would like to see the cap range lower as well.

The NHl is by no mean scratching the Alberta itch as you put it. The NHL is trying to get a cost structure that works across the whole league of which alberta teams are just small part of it.

To state that this is an "alberta thing" shows you knowledge of what is really going on!

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
monkey_00 said:
Racki...............

Humour me some more why don't you?............How about going over to the thread titled "Relocation" there you will see my posts regarding Hamilton's credibility as an NHL hockey market.........don't really feel like posting and repeating EVERYTHING on this thread.......Thunder Bay and Moose Jaw?.........ya ok........Hamilton is situated right smack in the Center of Southern Ontario; the most populated geographical area in all of Canada.........6.5-million within 1-hour radius of Hamilton....just under 2-million if you exclude Toronto and Western New York.........we also have strong corporate presence in Hamilton and Southern Ontario thank you very much.........................

..........................next time do your homework before making a post like the one you just did. :D

It's no more about population like it used to & even with a 1-side owner CBA won't change that.

Ask yourself this :

1- Do you have the support of over 100 companies willing to pay 100,000$ to 250,000$ for LUXURY BOXES ?

Hamilton ? don't think so
Winnipeg ? don't think so
Quebec ? nice city but don't so

2- Do you have the support of over 10,000 fans WILLING to pay 100$+ for the best tickets in town ?

Hamilton ? IF the AHL tickets is not a sold-out , how can you expect to get 10,000 fans @ 100$ piece ?

Winnipeg ? Same thing.

Québec ? When the Nordiques was there the best ticket was 45-50$ bucks ! Now they are around 100-150$ ! Sorry next !

3- Do you have the support of the town & the government to get a super ARENA ?

Hamilton & Quebec ? Sorry we're not in the U.S ! No one will give money & tax exemption for a hockey team with the perception that it's all for ''cry baby millionaires'' & ''multi-billionnaires owners''

Winnipeg got their new ARENA & I don't know how many LUXURY BOXES they have inside.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry but bottom line is that Nashville, Columbus, Atlanta got better markets today even if they have LESS ''DIE HARD'' fans today.

People need to give them TIME !!! St-Louis sure was not a ''HOCKEY MARKET'' in 1969 when they got their franchise. It's not 5-6 years of attendance that you can project if a market is suitable for hockey !

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Chayos1 said:
Vancouver operated on a $38 million dollar budget which is within the range the NHL wants so of course they were fine. Melnyk has been one of the owners crying lowdest in all of this and MTL would like to see the cap range lower as well.

The NHl is by no mean scratching the Alberta itch as you put it. The NHL is trying to get a cost structure that works across the whole league of which alberta teams are just small part of it.

To state that this is an "alberta thing" shows you knowledge of what is really going on!

Vancouver hasn't had a 38 million dollar budget in a few years, this year our salaries were set to be 49 million.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Glacier said:

Montreal has been struggling since the mid 90's to win consistently.

Vancouver operates in the middle of the pack financially and has done a great job of acquiring great talent, but under the former system when that talent could sell itself on the open market they would either have to increase their team salary, or make some tough decisions on players.

Toronto has a ton of cash behind it... so they are a non-issue.

Ottawa almost went bankrupt.

Calgary and Edmonton are on constant franchise-move watch.

yeah... the Canadian markets are doing great...

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
vanlady said:
Vancouver hasn't had a 38 million dollar budget in a few years, this year our salaries were set to be 49 million.

moot point when the owners wrote this year off as a non-issue prior to it ever getting off the ground. if you don't think the check is going to go through, it's easy to say you'll pay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->