Bob Ryan

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I think he may have a chance for the top 6 fowards of the ducks , with the loss of Lupul he could put up somes points on 2nd line.

Randall Graves*

It's sounding like he has a good shot at the 9 game try out..beyond that I am not sure, depends on the performance.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
It's sounding like he has a good shot at the 9 game try out..beyond that I am not sure, depends on the performance.

Yeah, unless he really tears it up in camp and uses his 9 game try out well you'll probably see him back in Owen Sound where they will have an excellent shot at winning a memorial cup.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Does he have something more to learn with Owen Sounds?

Not really, but there's not much room for him in Anaheim either.
With Chistov coming back and the emergence of Penner, coupled with Selanne and Perry occupying the top spots on the right side for Anaheim, there doesn't seem room for Ryan on a consistent basis in the top six for the team.

After that, it's the shutdown line with Pahlsson, Marchant and Niedermayer (presumably) and then a checking line with Kunitz,Green,Moen,Fedoruk etc. (all line combinations made up in my head, may not be actual line combinations)

Ryan would fit best on a scoring line, but I don't see a roster spot open for him. As mentioned, if he has a good camp, he might get the 9 game tryout, but I would be surprised to see him stick with the team for the entire season.

Randall Graves*

Does he have something more to learn with Owen Sounds?
This is the problem with the current agreement.

He needs to play in the AHL, whatever he does in the OHL from here on out will not do a whole lot to prepare him for the NHL.

So I can see Anaheim management saying ok we're going to carry him on the NHL roster up until he turns 20, he may play in all the games he may play in half. If anyone gets hurt he's the first guy given a crack in the top six or something along those lines..

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
This is the problem with the current agreement.

He needs to play in the AHL, whatever he does in the OHL from here on out will not do a whole lot to prepare him for the NHL.

So I can see Anaheim management saying ok we're going to carry him on the NHL roster up until he turns 20, he may play in all the games he may play in half. If anyone gets hurt he's the first guy given a crack in the top six or something along those lines..

To be honest, Bobby's stats didn't impress me much. I actually expected more out of him. I know he can do better. His problem is his physical conditioning especially on his legs. Bobby needs more leg stamina for a man his size. This means more time on the bike. I'm hoping that Ryan can have an actual breakout season with Owen Sound but until then, I am not convinced at all that he can move himself at the pace of the AHL level let alone the NHL level. That's the primary reason why he's staying with Owen Sound for another year. He's got the skill for a man his size he just needs to work on his mobility in order to take it up to the next level. As of right now, he's not ready yet.

Last edited:

steven91

Jul 12, 2006
Alot of players don't have as good a year right after there draft year as you would like to see, it comes from lack of preparation, players are to bussy with the draft, running camps, ect. and don't focuse on getting into shape for the upcoming season, look for Ryan to come into camp in alot better shape and a lot more ready than he did last season.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
I remember watching him when he was on Honeybaked as a midget just prior to the OHL Priority draft. He had all the scouts impressed with his stickhandling, goal scoring, and his strength down low but even back then his conditioning and neutral zone/defensive zone play was questioned. The kid has known about this for years, hopefully this will be the year that he takes action. I just don't know if he can improve any more with Owen Sound.

Randall Graves*

To be honest, Bobby's stats didn't impress me much. I actually expected more out of him. I know he can do better. His problem is his physical conditioning especially on his legs. Bobby needs more leg stamina for a man his size. This means more time on the bike. I'm hoping that Ryan can have an actual breakout season with Owen Sound but until then, I am not convinced at all that he can move himself at the pace of the AHL level let alone the NHL level. That's the primary reason why he's staying with Owen Sound for another year. He's got the skill for a man his size he just needs to work on his mobility in order to take it up to the next level. As of right now, he's not ready yet.
He was one of the leading scorers in the OHL despite a poor second half. He was dominating the league at a 3 ppg clip before the WJC's and wasn't exactly playing with a stacked lineup..

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He was one of the leading scorers in the OHL despite a poor second half. He was dominating the league at a 3 ppg clip before the WJC's and wasn't exactly playing with a stacked lineup..

Yeah, I would consider last year a "breakout season." Bottomline with Ryan is he needs some direction on some of the more underappreciated aspects of being a pro athlete: conditioning, nutrition, and strength training. He's not going to get that per se with the Attack. It's best if he moves to the AHL and develop for a season or two.

Pivot King

Aug 1, 2006
Yeah, I would consider last year a "breakout season." Bottomline with Ryan is he needs some direction on some of the more underappreciated aspects of being a pro athlete: conditioning, nutrition, and strength training. He's not going to get that per se with the Attack. It's best if he moves to the AHL and develop for a season or two.

If any team's management/coaches preach conditioning, nutrition, and strength, it's Owen Sound's. I understand what you are saying, how pro aspect is just that much more, but seriously, he get's enough of it with the Attack. Mike Stothers, the head coach, is a known fitness nut, and is in arguably better shape than the players. The GM, Mike Futa, is equally as demanding. Really it's all about Bob's internal motivation. You can't force it, so it will have to come from within for Bob to succeed. I would love to see Bob in the AHL, but that damn rule gets in the way. For him, it's the NHL or CHL, and Brian Burke is in no hurry to get Bob to Anaheim.

Randall Graves*

If any team's management/coaches preach conditioning, nutrition, and strength, it's Owen Sound's. I understand what you are saying, how pro aspect is just that much more, but seriously, he get's enough of it with the Attack. Mike Stothers, the head coach, is a known fitness nut, and is in arguably better shape than the players. The GM, Mike Futa, is equally as demanding. Really it's all about Bob's internal motivation. You can't force it, so it will have to come from within for Bob to succeed. I would love to see Bob in the AHL, but that damn rule gets in the way. For him, it's the NHL or CHL, and Brian Burke is in no hurry to get Bob to Anaheim.
There are rumors that he may stick with the club all year(or atleast until he turns 20) as management thinks that going back to the OHL won't help his development alot. Now i'd counter with this, he'll play on a team that has a shot at the memorial cup, so maybe they will decide we'll give him a chance to just really have a great year, possibly lead his team to a championship and go from there.

In order to get more hockey "fans" back on his bandwagon he needs to play really well at the WJC's. Last year it seemed like alot of people were disappointed, even though after that norway game he was team USA's leading scorer, but didn't 'look' good doing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->