Boston Globe BOB RYAN - State of the Bruins going into 2019

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
What else can he write about a bubble team hovering around the 8th seed? An endorsement? The media is in full panic when the pats have the 2 seed saying the dynasty is over

Oh I don’t know let me think...that they are a bubble team? See your post says more than he did. He doesn’t need to endorse them.

But “they’re not going to win it, but they’ll probably make a trade” is totally meaningless.

Coulda said they’ll not be winning it but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them try and make a modest improvement to win a series, as they seek to stay relevant while the young players continue to develop.

I like Bob Ryan. But He gave us nothing.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It really wasn't close to a total fleecing. The B's gave up a late first and basically nothing else of value

Yes, and Donny looks like he did pretty good on the McQuaid deal, although I miss him.:( but Kampfer hasn't been bad and I'm betting he'll fetch anywhere from a 4th to a 6th round pick too go along with the 4th Sweeney already got.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Accept growing pains, or give up assets for bandaids for a team that's likely not to do anything anyways?

If all you get back is band-aids, sure they wont do anything. I mean why even bother?

If your trading assets, your not dealing them for band-aids. Your dealing them to make a cup run, I'd hope anyways.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If all you get back is band-aids, sure they wont do anything. I mean why even bother?

If your trading assets, your not dealing them for band-aids. Your dealing them to make a cup run, I'd hope anyways.
You deal them to make a better team. If that team is further in the future you deal accordingly. If we trade for some UFA's again, I don't know, I can't imagine that being a winning formula. But who knows. Maybe it's secretly turning 2011 again.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Gee, since76 is still unhappy with the Bruins. Could water still be wet? Could the sky still be blue?
Don't worry, hockey is a hobby just for fun, no effect on my personnal life....i ilke to watch...love bruins since i am a child but when team is just ordinary it is ordinary....too many garbages is just sad. Nothing to make me don't see real life with joy !!!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nash was a big time deal? It was a total fleecing by Gordon and Sweeney bought into the hype. Terrible deal. No more Donny!!!
I liked the deal and so did pretty much everyone of my buds including our HF text club

What a bunch of dummies

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nords1995

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gorton fleeced Sweeney out of Spooner then fleeced Spooner by only giving him $8 M over 2 years

Gorton phenomenal GM

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
You want to know the State of the Bruins you know where to find me

Love Bob, he’s one of the few people on the planet who can keep up with me talking baseball but forget hockey.

We once had a discussion yeara ago about the Gashouse Gang. Who else would know that Pepper Martin was the Dustin Pedroia of that team.

Ryan might be the best combination basketball and baseball on the planet

I was going to start a pay site and write about the Bruins. But, since you are doing it for nothing, what's the point? :D

Reactions: Fenway

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Nash was a big time deal? It was a total fleecing by Gordon and Sweeney bought into the hype. Terrible deal. No more Donny!!!

This - "the hype" - Nash was effective 8 years ago. Bruins traded for a player on the decline. Was never impressed with him on the bruins other than one nice snipe against TO in the playoffs.

Bruins needed to find a speedy creative scoring winger to play with Krejci and Debrusk.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So all of you were wrong, right on!!!
If I could print our HF text groups assessment on the Sweeney trade with Gorton only one conclusion- you are right and all of us are wrong.

Good call by you

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
For the record, Donny did get rid of some of Beleski's contract, a deal he orchestrated...

To Boston:
Nash@50%

To Rags:
2018 First, 26 OA, Ottawa wound up with it in a trade
Ryan Lindgren
Ryan Spooner
Matt Beleski@50%
2019 7th

3 goals in the regular season, 11 games played, -4 overall
3 goals in the post season, 12 games played, -7 overall

There is no issue trading for an aging, declining vet on an expiring deal. Having your GM buy into the hype about that player still being an impact player and over paying is the issue.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
For the record, Donny did get rid of some of Beleski's contract, a deal he orchestrated...

To Boston:
Nash@50%

To Rags:
2018 First, 26 OA, Ottawa wound up with it in a trade
Ryan Lindgren
Ryan Spooner
Matt Beleski@50%
2019 7th

3 goals in the regular season, 11 games played, -4 overall
3 goals in the post season, 12 games played, -7 overall

There is no issue trading for an aging, declining vet on an expiring deal. Having your GM buy into the hype about that player still being an impact player and over paying is the issue.

How did he overpay? It's a late first round pick and then some spare parts

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
If I could print our HF text groups assessment on the Sweeney trade with Gorton only one conclusion- you are right and all of us are wrong.

Good call by you

No problem with getting Nash, Sweeney and his buying into the Rags hype about a player that never lived up to his skill, size, or league promotion was the issue.

Reactions: Blowfish

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Gorton fleeced Sweeney out of Spooner then fleeced Spooner by only giving him $8 M over 2 years

Gorton phenomenal GM

Was with Rangers fans last night. They love the hiring of Quinn.

They hated the Lightning deal but like Howden

Thought giving 48 to move up 4 spots was too much for Miller.

They asked me to take back McQuaid and Lindgren for free.

Feel fortunate to get rid of spooner for something.

Thought they reached at 28.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
This - "the hype" - Nash was effective 8 years ago. Bruins traded for a player on the decline. Was never impressed with him on the bruins other than one nice snipe against TO in the playoffs.

Bruins needed to find a speedy creative scoring winger to play with Krejci and Debrusk.

Nash was actually a good fit and playing well until he suffered the concussion. He was never really the same player when he returned and gave the B's almost zero in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->