Boston Globe BOB RYAN - State of the Bruins going into 2019

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boston sports fans have never had it so good - The Boston Globe

Bruins

The Bruins aren’t going to win the whole thing, but in the long haul they aren’t going to embarrass the family, either. Is that a fair appraisal?

First of all, hoist a stein for David Pastrnak. Signing him to a six-year deal a little more than a year ago looks like a managerial move of complete brilliance. He has emerged as one of the league’s top goal scorers, and he won’t turn 23 until May. On a team laden with enticing young talent, he is the standout. Let’s hope no cheap shot artist upends his career. Sadly, those creeps still exist.

It’s a good thing he is having such a good year, otherwise the Bruins would have who-knows-how-many fewer points. This is not a high-powered team overall, averaging fewer than three goals a game. Fortunately, team defense is a strength, presuming enough of their defensemen stay healthy. They’ve been forced to operate at different times without Zdeno Chara and Charlie McAvoy, among others. But they still rank high in goals allowed, which is also a testament to the goaltending duo of Tuukka Rask and Jaroslav Halak.

Two things are almost 100 percent guarantees in each Bruins game. The first is that Patrice Bergeron will win far more than his share of faceoffs and will do subtle things that might not occur to just about anyone else. Oh, and how’d you like his comeback game? Against Nashville? It was two goals and two assists, in case you missed it.

The second thing is that Brad Marchand will do something good and then something everyone on the other side will say is bad. At least he hasn’t licked anyone lately.
Keep an eye on GM Don Sweeney. Last year he went for Rick Nash for a veteran splash. I’m betting he’s got his eye on another big deal come the trade deadline.

Reactions: Neely2005

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Just not good enough, when you look at scoring lineup it is just terrible
After first line you have Krejci and Debrusk and after it is complete zero offensive sense, it is the worst lineup i remember as offensive skill...7 regulars players who will finish under 25 pts as forward in the same team
No team with a guy like acciari in lineup can be respectable, may be the worst player i saw in more than 40 years in all NHL
And the youngsters ??? May be we just lived and a pink world in ourprospects...love make things look beautiful...but now reality is...we have a lot of so so young guys who just don't produce. Mcavoy and pasta are the only two who show when bruins draft with their head and look for pure talent they got the jackpot, but too often they act like badass and all world laugh of them with their "bruins type players"...if 5 goals 7 ass 12 pts per season forward is thier type of players...they are perfect...they have 20 of them under 25....
And if sweeny make another big move ????? Like nash i want him to be fired....does this team will have enough of garbage players one day ???

Camjams

Jul 6, 2018
Just not good enough, when you look at scoring lineup it is just terrible
After first line you have Krejci and Debrusk and after it is complete zero offensive sense, it is the worst lineup i remember as offensive skill...7 regulars players who will finish under 25 pts as forward in the same team
No team with a guy like acciari in lineup can be respectable, may be the worst player i saw in more than 40 years in all NHL
And the youngsters ??? May be we just lived and a pink world in ourprospects...love make things look beautiful...but now reality is...we have a lot of so so young guys who just don't produce. Mcavoy and pasta are the only two who show when bruins draft with their head and look for pure talent they got the jackpot, but too often they act like badass and all world laugh of them with their "bruins type players"...if 5 goals 7 ass 12 pts per season forward is thier type of players...they are perfect...they have 20 of them under 25....
And if sweeny make another big move ????? Like nash i want him to be fired....does this team will have enough of garbage players one day ???
This is far more interesting and entertaining than the Ryan column.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Incredible insight from Ryan. No wonder he gets paid to write articles. Time to don my pink hat and see how many touchdowns the B's score tonight.

Reactions: Strafer

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Useless Bruins banter.

If he’s going to say the Bruins aren’t going to win it, but will likely make a move, then he should illuminate the readers with his thoughts on what that will do for the team.

Otherwise he’s brought nothing to the table with at least that part of the article.

Reactions: Strafer

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
That’s what I thought.

I like Bob Ryan but he was always a Celtics and Red Sox guy.

I do too and I think he’s one of the great writers who never seemed to have an agenda to me. He always gave people the benefit of the doubt and wrote with a lot of class. Definitely a hoops guy first to me

Reactions: Alicat

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bring back Jackie McMullen and NEVER allow him to write another piece on the Boston Bruins ever again! This was a filler piece that a college intern would get a C- for.

Reactions: TCB

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I do too and I think he’s one of the great writers who never seemed to have an agenda to me. He always gave people the benefit of the doubt and wrote with a lot of class. Definitely a hoops guy first to me

Ryan was always upfront about hockey as he was not exposed to the sport until he went to college in Boston ( The Flyers didn't exist yet and he grew up in Trenton ) He has always said the Bruins hardcore fans are the most loyal in the city.

This column was intended for casual fans, not puckheads so in that regard it is fair.

The Bruins situation this year is not so much that they haven't improved to any degree but the division has gotten harder. Let's hope for a healthy January and February and see what they are really made of.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Since when did he write about hockey?
You want to know the State of the Bruins you know where to find me

Love Bob, he’s one of the few people on the planet who can keep up with me talking baseball but forget hockey.

We once had a discussion yeara ago about the Gashouse Gang. Who else would know that Pepper Martin was the Dustin Pedroia of that team.

Ryan might be the best combination basketball and baseball on the planet

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Useless Bruins banter.

If he’s going to say the Bruins aren’t going to win it, but will likely make a move, then he should illuminate the readers with his thoughts on what that will do for the team.

Otherwise he’s brought nothing to the table with at least that part of the article.

What else can he write about a bubble team hovering around the 8th seed? An endorsement? The media is in full panic when the pats have the 2 seed saying the dynasty is over

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t care all that much where the Bruins finish as long as they make playoffs and are healthy

That and they win when I go
11-2 (Canucks & Detroit losses)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I don’t care all that much where the Bruins finish as long as they make playoffs and are healthy

That and they win when I go
11-2 (Canucks & Detroit losses)

Sounds like something a Jacobs family member might say:naughty:

I want more than just a playoff team. I want a team that can win and Sweeney needs to bring in some help too make it possible. Their more than good enough with the right additions to win it all.

I'd rather see them miss the playoffs entirely and get a top ten pick , than just being happy with getting in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad