Bob McKenzie's Team Canada World Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What he thinks will happen:

tsn.ca

Fleury obviously the starter, he then thinks that one of the two WHL goalies will be tha back-up.

Forwards

Dawes - Richards - Stewart
Getzlaf - Carter - Burns
Paille - Talbot - Brent
Dixon - Crosby - Tambellini/Perry

Colliton/Brodziak

Phaneuf - Meech
Coburn - Belle
White - Seabrook
Klein

Gorjes/Egener

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
John Flyers Fan said:
What he thinks will happen:

tsn.ca

Fleury obviously the starter, he then thinks that one of the two WHL goalies will be tha back-up.

Forwards

Dawes - Richards - Stewart
Getzlaf - Carter - Burns
Paille - Talbot - Brent
Dixon - Crosby - Tambellini/Perry

Colliton/Brodziak

Phaneuf - Meech
Coburn - Belle
White - Seabrook
Klein

Gorjes/Egener

I don't disagree with the defense, but from the games I was watching, there is no way Brodziak should not be on the team.

The one guy that did not impress me that much was Richards. Does anyone else agree/disagree with me here?

I am also surprised Henrich did not get a longer look.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
I'd say that Perry will probably be in the top six, and Klein will be replacing White as the #6 defenceman.

jmelm : I saw Richards play an exhibition game against Buffalo, and he didn't look out of place there at all. He'll have a good tournament, and he's a lock for the top two lines.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
There's no way Brodziak doesn't make this team. I would be shocked if he didn't. In my opinion, he definitely outplayed Dixon, Colliton, Talbot and matched the performances of a couple others. But maybe I'm missing something.

Avery4Byng*

Gorges is way better then Klein. mckenzie should stick to stuff he knows best like eating donuts.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
jmelm said:
I don't disagree with the defense, but from the games I was watching, there is no way Brodziak should not be on the team.

The one guy that did not impress me that much was Richards. Does anyone else agree/disagree with me here?

I am also surprised Henrich did not get a longer look.

richards has been playing well... i dont think perry should make it.....he looks slow and soft... jeff tam is so fast i think he is on for sure...egner is bad

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Personally, I think Klein has played well from the first game against the OUA All-Stars, I don't know about the second because it's not midnight yet, but I like Klein's game.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
As much as I love free publicity, just to set the record straight, here's what I said:

Fleury is, of course, the No. 1 goalie. I said Harding or Ward would likely be the back up and my guess is Harding has the edge.

On defence, I said Phaneuf, Meech, Coburn, Belle, White and Seabrook look to be solid as the top six and that Klein, Gorges and Egener would battle for the last spot. I liked Klein for that one, but I also said one of the other two could be told to hang by the phone in case White's ankle doesn't respond in Europe. One of the two cuts could be airlifted in to replace White if need be.

Up front, I said the following nine players were locks: Dawes-Richards-Stewart; Getzlaf-Carter-Burns; Paille-Talbot-Brent. I then said Dixon, Crosby, Tambellini, Perry, Colliton and Brodziak would be competing for the final four spots up front. I said I believed Dixon and Crosby would get spots, which means that four very good players -- Tambellini, Perry, Colliton and Brodziak -- would be competing for two spots. My bet is Tambellini gets one of them, after that who knows, but my guess is Colliton or Perry.

We'll find out in a few hours, but I wanted to make it clear exactly what I projected, speculated and guessed on, because there was a little bit of each in the report I filed from Kitchener, which by the way was filed before and during the final game against the OUA all-stars.

Bob McKenzie
TSN

BCCHL inactive

Bob, the only changes I would make to your picks, are that Kyle Brodziak would have Tim Brent's spot, and Josh Gorges would have Shawn Belle's spot.

Brodziak has been a very pleasant surprise for Moose Jaw this season. Even though I have only seen him live once this season, I was very impressed..and watching the last couple games on Sportsnet, he has been as solid as anybody else. As for Gorges, there is nothing this kid cannot do. I compare him to Eric Brewer...doesn't score a lot of points, but it is what he does in his own zone that sets him above the rest. Obviously Phaneuf is going to be Team Canada's defensive QB, but Gorges is top-4 on this team in my opinion.

Other than that, I like your picks.

Vranattack

Just wondered what you take has been on Perry, in the past he has been known and criticized for soft play. Has he looked any different during this camp

Other then that your team looks really fast on paper and I hope they can hold off Czechs and USA. I honestly don't think the russian defense is that strong this year and their forwards are very young.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
Van said:
Bob, the only changes I would make to your picks, are that Kyle Brodziak would have Tim Brent's spot, and Josh Gorges would have Shawn Belle's spot.

Brodziak has been a very pleasant surprise for Moose Jaw this season. Even though I have only seen him live once this season, I was very impressed..and watching the last couple games on Sportsnet, he has been as solid as anybody else. As for Gorges, there is nothing this kid cannot do. I compare him to Eric Brewer...doesn't score a lot of points, but it is what he does in his own zone that sets him above the rest. Obviously Phaneuf is going to be Team Canada's defensive QB, but Gorges is top-4 on this team in my opinion.

Other than that, I like your picks.

I probably should have added that the choices I made were not who I think should be on the team but who I think will be on the team, and as I said, I never tried to nail it down completely. You guys see a lot more of these kids than I do, but there's a certain science to figuring out who will make the team and who won't. Tim Brent, for example, is on the team. That's why they didn't dress him tonight. So Van, I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting Brodziak on the team ahead of Brent, but I'm telling you that won't happen. Brodziak could make the team but not at the expense of Brent, who would never get cut after being told not to dress tonight. Any player who got a night off (Fleury, Phaneuf, Brent, Stewart, Coburn etc.) are automatics.

BCCHL inactive

I did not realize they had given Brent a night off. Either I was high on my medication (pain killers), or the Sportsnet announcers are just that bad....probably a combination of both. ;)

Vranattack

BobMckenzie said:
As much as I love free publicity, just to set the record straight, here's what I said:

Fleury is, of course, the No. 1 goalie. I said Harding or Ward would likely be the back up and my guess is Harding has the edge.

On defence, I said Phaneuf, Meech, Coburn, Belle, White and Seabrook look to be solid as the top six and that Klein, Gorges and Egener would battle for the last spot. I liked Klein for that one, but I also said one of the other two could be told to hang by the phone in case White's ankle doesn't respond in Europe. One of the two cuts could be airlifted in to replace White if need be.

Up front, I said the following nine players were locks: Dawes-Richards-Stewart; Getzlaf-Carter-Burns; Paille-Talbot-Brent. I then said Dixon, Crosby, Tambellini, Perry, Colliton and Brodziak would be competing for the final four spots up front. I said I believed Dixon and Crosby would get spots, which means that four very good players -- Tambellini, Perry, Colliton and Brodziak -- would be competing for two spots. My bet is Tambellini gets one of them, after that who knows, but my guess is Colliton or Perry.

We'll find out in a few hours, but I wanted to make it clear exactly what I projected, speculated and guessed on, because there was a little bit of each in the report I filed from Kitchener, which by the way was filed before and during the final game against the OUA all-stars.

Bob McKenzie
TSN
Why are you so high on Dixon, I see him all year so I know what he brings to an international team but I was wondering why you are keen on him. From what I hear he is average so far at the camp.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Vranattack said:
Why are you so high on Dixon, I see him all year so I know what he brings to an international team but I was wondering why you are keen on him. From what I hear he is average so far at the camp.

Please Read.
I probably should have added that the choices I made were not who I think should be on the team but who I think will be on the team

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure that Crosby will be playing fourth line minutes once this gets going. I am fine with the team as mentioned above , you cannot really argue with it. I think there is room for players to slide up and down the lineup. I have heard that Egener's father is willing to make quite a sacrifice to travel to Finland so i hope that Mike makes it for his sake. He is on the outside looking in for sure. I was at last years tourney and there is no question that this team has more to it.There is more size , as much speed at the very least, and more depth. The gamebreaker is on the Russian team however so we won't be pencilling the team in for Gold yet.
Its a shame that the team could not have played the Atlantic allstars, there was a tremendous gap between the teams tonite. Unbelievable really and not much of an evaluation.

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
It would be sweet for Anaheim to have all three of their kids make it. It is a true credit to Bryan Murray and the scouts to identify players like Getzlaf, Brent, Lupul, and Perry the past two years.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Van said:
I did not realize they had given Brent a night off. Either I was high on my medication (pain killers), or the Sportsnet announcers are just that bad....probably a combination of both. ;)
I watched the whole game and they didn't mention what players were sitting out tonights game. I was surprized that Brent got the game off. I thought he would be one of the players fighting for a spot.

Between the two WHL goalies I like Harding a lot better than Ward.

Tambellini I think after todays performance is definaltely on the team. He showed great skill and great chemistry with Crosby.

BCCHL inactive

canucksfan said:
I watched the whole game and they didn't mention what players were sitting out tonights game.

Between the two WHL goalies I like Harding a lot better than Ward.

God yes....Ward got lit up tonight. It almost seemed like he was just playing out the third period knowing he was going to get cut.

And my drug question is now answered. :D

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Van said:
God yes....Ward got lit up tonight. It almost seemed like he was just playing out the third period knowing he was going to get cut.

And my drug question is now answered. :D
I also for got to add that both Harding and Deslauries both played with Team Canada. On the other hand, Ward played with the OUA twice and never got a chance to play with Canada. That shows me right there that Ward will get cut and also that the backup spot will be between Deslauries and Harding.

Last edited:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
BobMckenzie said:

What the heck does Deslaurier have to do to earn some love? The guy stopped 30 of 31 the other day, when every other goalie only faced 10 shots or so, and in game 2 he allowed no goals (albeit with limited shots).

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
PecaFan said:
What the heck does Deslaurier have to do to earn some love? The guy stopped 30 of 31 the other day, when every other goalie only faced 10 shots or so, and in game 2 he allowed no goals (albeit with limited shots).

Deslauriers looked attrocious in the second intrasquad game, showing absolutely NO rebound control, and was lucky he didn't get lit up.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Tambellini I think after todays performance is definaltely on the team. He showed great skill and great chemistry with Crosby.

Yeah, as a Kings fan I hope Dave Taylor was watching the game, as I'm sure he was. But if he wasn't, DT take a note, this combo would be a good one in the NHL. You've already got 1 of them, now do what ever the heck it takes to get the other one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad