Bob McKenzie's preseason top prospects

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
My bold prediction... Matia Marcantuoni is one of the first 3 picks of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft...

Oroku Saki*

Pfft. Adam Larsson is still by far the best player in the draft.

What is this like four or five threads were you've made sarcastic remarks about Adam. Why the anger dude, he's just a prospect. :laugh:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
My bold prediction... Matia Marcantuoni is one of the first 3 picks of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft...

It wouldn't surprise me. I've been a big fan of his for years now.

He's one of the best skaters I've seen come through Ontario Minor Midget in a while. What makes his skating even more impressive is his ability to make plays and his hands at such a high speed. I thought during his MM year with the Marlboros that he'd be in the NHL as an 18 year old and I stand by that.

As for the other poster asking about Campagna and Laughton, I expect both of them as well as Jarrod Maidens, and Daniel Altshuller to be big risers this year.

EDIT: Though it's definitely a bold prediction. Not trying to steal your thunder lol.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me. I've been a big fan of his for years now.

He's one of the best skaters I've seen come through Ontario Minor Midget in a while. What makes his skating even more impressive is his ability to make plays and his hands at such a high speed. I thought during his MM year with the Marlboros that he'd be in the NHL as an 18 year old and I stand by that.

As for the other poster asking about Campagna and Laughton, I expect both of them as well as Jarrod Maidens, and Daniel Altshuller to be big risers this year.

EDIT: Though it's definitely a bold prediction. Not trying to steal your thunder lol.

Haha. Stop stealing my thunder!! You should have laughed at me and called me an idiot so then if it's true, I look EXTRA smart. :laugh:

But for real, I agree with what you said, he's very quick and has great hands.

ImOnFire81

Aug 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Which 4-5 players will still be in top 10? Because other 5 will probably be drafted outside of top 10. Maybe even in 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Haha. Stop stealing my thunder!! You should have laughed at me and called me an idiot so then if it's true, I look EXTRA smart. :laugh:

But for real, I agree with what you said, he's very quick and has great hands.

He's only going to get more opportunity to excel this upcoming season in Kitchener, getting a bigger role offensively. He's a bit under the radar now, but I'd be surprised if he's not the top Canadian forward selected.

Which 4-5 players will still be in top 10? Because other 5 will probably be drafted outside of top 10. Maybe even in 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I don't buy this at all.

It happened last year in a weak high end class. In 2010 8 of McKenzie's top 10 went in the first round, 5 in the top 10, but 7 in the first 13. In 2009 8 of his top 10 went in the top 10, they all went in the first round.

It's actually incredible at how close his rankings are, especially for being 9 months before the draft.

ImOnFire81

Aug 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I don't buy this at all.

It happened last year in a weak high end class. In 2010 8 of McKenzie's top 10 went in the first round, 5 in the top 10, but 7 in the first 13. In 2009 8 of his top 10 went in the top 10, they all went in the first round.

It's actually incredible at how close his rankings are, especially for being 9 months before the draft.
Good job providing the stats.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
As much as I'd love the Oilers to pick Murray, I think if it's close they would rather pick Reinhart. He is bigger and more physical than Murray, he is already a product of Edmonton (the Oil Kings) and he is a right handed shot.

Reinhart is not a right handed shot. His brother Sam is, I believe, but not Griffin.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Why was this bumped?

:biglaugh:

It may look funny now, but it was a very real possibility at the time. Anyone who's watched him play, save for this year, would say he possesses some very high-end projectable skills and had the potential to go very high in the 2012 draft. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses over the next few years.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Injuries crushed him this year. Concussion before the season, then multiple ones during followed up by the season ending surgery last month. Must be hard for him.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Injuries crushed him this year. Concussion before the season, then multiple ones during followed up by the season ending surgery last month. Must be hard for him.

Yeah.....and any team drafting him any where after the first round got an absolute steal!
My prediction...because of his injuries the last cpl years a solid GM who's secure in his job will roll the dice and draft him much higher than where he's presently slotted.........
Detroit Redwings and Ken Holland will trade up and get him early second round!

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Yeah.....and any team drafting him any where after the first round got an absolute steal!
My prediction...because of his injuries the last cpl years a solid GM who's secure in his job will roll the dice and draft him much higher than where he's presently slotted.........
Detroit Redwings and Ken Holland will trade up and get him early second round!

Still think he'll go in the first, but it might not be until the latter half of the first.

Thus, he'd be a great asset for a team picking there.

When healthy, the kid is a workhorse with an iron lung. He puts in an honest day's work and can do things in all three zones.

Quite frankly, he's got 'Red Wing' written all over him.

futurescout

Jan 6, 2012
Toronto
Still think he'll go in the first, but it might not be until the latter half of the first.

Thus, he'd be a great asset for a team picking there.

When healthy, the kid is a workhorse with an iron lung. He puts in an honest day's work and can do things in all three zones.

Quite frankly, he's got 'Red Wing' written all over him.

He's Darren Helm with more offensive upside, would be a scary line to play against with Marcantuoni and Helm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad