4) Ryan Murray - 1 first place vote
5) Alex Galchenyuk - 1 first place vote
6) Mikhail Grigorenko
7) Morgan Rielly
8) Nick Ebert
9) Derrick Pouliot
10) Matia Marcantuoni
10) Jacob Trouba

Honourable mentions - Aandreas Athanasiou, Cody Ceci, Sebastian Collberg, Martin Frk, Brendan Gaunce, Slater Koekkoek, Griffin Reinhart.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376477

Last edited:

Kershaw

I am quite shocked to see Dumba at #2 also shocked Ebert didn't crack the top 4.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I am quite shocked to see Dumba at #2 also shocked Ebert didn't crack the top 4.

I'm a little bit surprised to see Dumba at 2 over Murray, and I'm shocked to see no Reinhart in the top 10, but I'm not shocked about Ebert. No offense to him at all he's a great player but he's definitely overhyped and possibly even overrated on these boards.

A few people have really drummed him up as this potential first overall candidate which basing it on the fact that defensemen have a lot of trouble going number one, even if a player like Yakupov wasn't in this draft and he's really not a first overall candidate from what I've seen of him.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Very solid list by McKenzie. All the right players are there and while we can debate actual rank spots, none of the players are that far out of place (IMO).

Dumba is higher than I thought (had him around 5th-6th) but he's my favourite defensive prospect.

Very good list.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Just for fun , this is how Bob McKenzie ranked last year's draft class back in his September 2010 preseason ranking show (actual draft position in brackets):

Pre-Season Top 10 2011 Draft Rankings:

T1. Sean Couturier (8th)
T1. Adam Larsson (4th)
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (1st)
T4. Gabriel Landeskog (2nd)
T4. Brandon Saad (43rd)
6. Victor Rask (42nd)
7. Matt Puempel (24th)
8. Dougie Hamilton (9th)
9. Adam Clendening (36th)
10. Seth Ambroz (128th)

HM:
11. Namestnikov (27th)
T12. Brett Ritchie (44th)
T12. Duncan Siemens (11th)
14. Scott Harrington (54th)
T15. Boone Jenner (37th)
T15. Ryan Murphy (12th)

It just goes to show how easily these rankings change over the course of the year and even some of the best in hockey can't get them right.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
1) Nail Yakupov - 7 first place votes
2) Matt Dumba - 1 first place vote
3) Filip Forsberg - 1 first place vote
4) Ryan Murray
5) Alex Galchenyuk - 1 first place vote
6) Mikhail Grigorenko
7) Morgan Rielly
8) Nick Ebert
9) Derrick Pouliot
10) Matia Marcantuoni
10) Jacob Trouba

Honourable mentions - Aandreas Athanasiou, Cody Ceci, Sebastian Collberg, Martin Frk, Brendan Gaunce, Slater Koekkoek, Griffin Reinhart.

Murray did have a first place vote, it's Forsberg that didn't.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya, we will definitely see some movement between rankings to say the least. Should still be an amazing draft though.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Yes. Galchenyuk's english was already good. He grew up in Milwaukee.

No it wasn't and no he didn't. He wasn't even in grade school when he left North America.

His English last year was better then Yakupovs, but I wouldn't hve called him fluent at all. His accent was also a lot thicker. It's 10x better then it was last season.

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Just for fun , this is how Bob McKenzie ranked last year's draft class back in his September 2010 preseason ranking show (actual draft position in brackets):

Pre-Season Top 10 2011 Draft Rankings:

T1. Sean Couturier (8th)
T1. Adam Larsson (4th)
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (1st)
T4. Gabriel Landeskog (2nd)
T4. Brandon Saad (43rd)
6. Victor Rask (42nd)
7. Matt Puempel (24th)
8. Dougie Hamilton (9th)
9. Adam Clendening (36th)
10. Seth Ambroz (128th)

HM:
11. Namestnikov (27th)
T12. Brett Ritchie (44th)
T12. Duncan Siemens (11th)
14. Scott Harrington (54th)
T15. Boone Jenner (37th)
T15. Ryan Murphy (12th)

It just goes to show how easily these rankings change over the course of the year and even some of the best in hockey can't get them right.

Thanks. That is very interesting.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Similar look to Buttons list.

Doesn't surprise me too much, with the exception of a few picks here and there, I've always thought Button's lists weren't too far off from the consensus overall.

It looked like a list based strongly on the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

I don't know if I'd say that, 4 of the 11 on that list didn't play in the Hlinka at all, and one more (Marcantuoni) barely played due to injury.

Though it would make sense that the majority of the top prospects were at the Hlinka, since it is for the most part a best-on-best tournament for that age group.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
I don't know if I'd say that, 4 of the 11 on that list didn't play in the Hlinka at all, and one more (Marcantuoni) barely played due to injury.

Though it would make sense that the majority of the top prospects were at the Hlinka, since it is for the most part a best-on-best tournament for that age group.

Dumba at #2 is the highest I've seen him.
Forsberg at #3 is the highest I've seen him.
Rielly at #7 is the highest I've seen him
Pouliot at #9 is the highest I've seen him.

Even the HM's in Athanasiou, Collberg, Gaunce, Koekkoek all of them had strong Ivan Hlinka Tourneys. I'm not saying anything is wrong with the list, but it looks greatly comprised from that tournament. I'm sure that list will change as the season goes on. The fact they have Pouliot ahead of Reinhart is a little baffling but he did have a better IH Tourney than Reinhart did.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
This isn't necessarily 100% McKenzie's list either. They surveyed 10 scouts and it's the consensus. I am sure Button was one of those "scouts" so that's why you might see some similarities.

His Beardliness*

This isn't necessarily 100% McKenzie's list either. They surveyed 10 scouts and it's the consensus. I am sure Button was one of those "scouts" so that's why you might see some similarities.

Except Button isn't an NHL scout so probably not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad