Bob Mckenzie relayed draft lottery scenerio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Man, some people in here are whiners. There is a reason why there is a lottery here, the NHL lost a season. It's impossible to tell where the final standings would have been. A weighted lottery formula is the fairest way to go about this. Perhaps we should give the Caps or whoever whines the loudest all of the top 5 picks perhaps thats the only way we can let inept teams with inept scouts, GM's and owners a chance to be competetive.
I believe in trying to level the NHL playing field but people around here seem to have a warped sense of balance. As a Canuck fan I'm glad we have a 2% shot of getting Crosby but I'm not exactly placing my order for a Canuck jersey with #89 on the back anytime soon. The Canucks on ice record the last couple years (along with many other teams eligible for the #1 pick) indicates they shouldn't have a shot at it, but they took a hefty financial hit as well as a legitimate chance at the cup by taking the season off to help out the weaker teams of the league, this is why I believe it should have been an equal opportunity lottery. However, I'm not going to piss and moan about it because its still a fairly equitable system for all parties. I'm hoping for a top 8 pick but if it doesn't happen I'll be fine anywhere else since it's a snake draft. Besides, it's usually not where you draft...it's how you draft. I'll take New Jersey's scouting staff and the 25th pick over Edmonton's or the Rangers (not that my Canucks scouting team is setting the world on fire) scouting staff and the 5th pick anyday.

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
DarthSather99 said:
Question: How can someone have a 200% chance of winning something, which is what we are talking about.

I've got news for you. If you take a test and they ask you the difference between 6% and 4% and answer with 150% then that's your choice. Hint: In doing word problems the word "difference" means subtraction. Taking the percentage of two individual numbers is a ratio. Taking a ratio of two different percentages makes absolutely no sense and if you want to believe it does then fine, we agree to disagree.

I'm done arguing with you... it's like trying to teach a sheep to land an airplane. Go ask your math teacher what's wrong with your logic and he'll tell you.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i read on TSN that the NHL is going to change the age of eligibility for the draft next year to 19.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=130343&hubName=nhl

- The entry-level system will limit those players to $850,000 a year in salary (which it was 10 years ago) with bonuses not as easily reachable as the previous deal. The maximum possible amount in bonuses is $4.5 million although it's unrealistic for almost anyone to reach all the lofty targets. The age for draft eligibility will also be raised from 18 years to 19 years.

why not put this into effect this year? You basically can have a 4-6 round daft that only 19 and 20 year olds are available(which basically means that other then a handful of college players your getting guys who were passed over the past 2 years).

By doing this nobody can complain how unfair the draft is. I feel sorry for the team that gets a high pick(like top 5) next year they going to get royally screwed.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
DarthSather99 said:
So, it's 6 % out of 100% and 4% out of 100%. It's quite simple. 6% - 4% = 2%. The team with 3 balls(out of 48) has a 2% better chance than the team with 2 balls(out of 48) to win the OVERALL #1 pick.
Has a 2% more of chances.. which in this case means a 50% better chance than the team with two balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad