Bob Mckenzie relayed draft lottery scenerio

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
These 14 teams (Buf,Clb,NYR,Pit,Ana,Atl,Cgy,Car,Chi,Edm,LA,Min,Nsh,Pho) have 66.7% of the total balls while the remaining 16 teams (Bos,Col,Dal,Det,Fla,Mon,NJ,NYI,Ott,Phi,SJ,Stl,TB,Tor,Van,Wsh) share only 33% of the balls.

Since there are fewer teams with more balls the odds of winning are higher then 67% for the first group. In all likelyhood the teams with one ball wont win... then again...:dunno:

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
the draft order will go 1-30, and then those same teams (trades not withstanding) will pick again going 30-1 in the 2nd round..... so if the wings pick 1st overall, their next pick wont be until 60.... the team that picks 30th, last overall in the first round, will pick 1st in the 2nd round, 31st overall

there will also only be 7 rounds to the draft... i'm not sure if thats just for this year, but i dont think so..... it'll be 7 instead of 9 rounds going foward i believe

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
EroCaps said:
So the Caps (among others) are punished for winning the lottery and only get 1 ball?

Yet teams that have finished in the bottom 5 the past few years are rewarded.

Brilliant.
You have Ovechkin so just quiet down.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
mazmin said:
These 14 teams (Buf,Clb,NYR,Pit,Ana,Atl,Cgy,Car,Chi,Edm,LA,Min,Nsh,Pho) have 66.7% of the total balls while the remaining 16 teams (Bos,Col,Dal,Det,Fla,Mon,NJ,NYI,Ott,Phi,SJ,Stl,TB,Tor,Van,Wsh) share only 33% of the balls.

Since there are fewer teams with more balls the odds of winning are higher then 67% for the first group. In all likelyhood the teams with one ball wont win... then again...:dunno:

someone said there were only 48 balls.... that means that although the percentage of a team with 1 ball winning is low, its deffinitely not out of the question... so guys like erocaps who feel their club is so hard done by should just watch and see how things turn out..... beside, u got ovechkin and this after you decided to implode your entire team... be happy with what you got and hope things fall into place going foward

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
The Rangers are going to be very pleased with the snake draft. They will likely get a top 10 pick, perhaps even Crosby, plus they have PHI and TOR's 2nd round picks from the Malakhov and Leetch deals..so that's two early second round picks :handclap:

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
2 Things.

#1- Is the draft next week, or just the lottery? Basically can someone calrify the Lottery/Draft dates.

#2- The isles get screwed royally with that system. They are the worst team (probably by far) with the min # of balls and they prob have the ****tiest minor league depth of those teams as well. Can this franchise ever get an F'ing break? Because they beat the Rangers by like 6 points cumulatively the last 3 years (with a much lower payroll by far) they should get 1 ball as opposed to the 3 the Rangers have? Talk about a bad break for the isles. They are being grouped in with the Toronto, New Jersey, Ottawa, Colorado, Detroit powerhouses when they have 1/10 the sucess and talent to show for it.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Draftman said:
If the draft is next thursday, when will the lottery take place?

i think it was me who said the draft was next thursday... sorry!

they lottery will take place next thursday with the draft being held in ottawa on july 30th (9 days after)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
icelanders said:
2 Things.

#1- Is the draft next week, or just the lottery? Basically can someone calrify the Lottery/Draft dates.

#2- The isles get screwed royally with that system. They are the worst team (probably by far) with the min # of balls and they prob have the ****tiest minor league depth of those teams as well. Can this franchise ever get an F'ing break? Because they beat the Rangers by like 6 points cumulatively the last 3 years (with a much lower payroll by far) they should get 1 ball as opposed to the 3 the Rangers have? Talk about a bad break for the isles. They are being grouped in with the Toronto, New Jersey, Ottawa, Colorado, Detroit powerhouses when they have 1/10 the sucess and talent to show for it.

If it makes you feel any better, the Caps are easily the worst team with 1 ball. ;)

Not close.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
SensGuy said:

just to spite you I predict the Caps win the lottery with one ball and Crosby is coming to DC, heheheh. God the whining would rule!! My 2nd choice would be that Columbus wins the lottery...even more whining! My last and final choice would be Chicago...cause everyone loves the owner!!

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
gettougher said:
calgary makes the cup finals and has 2 balls?

that would be because they missed the playoffs the previous 2 seasons.... is there a problem with that??

this system was designed to give all teams a small percentage to win and give the teams that have been good or bad over the past 3-4 years a chance, even if its a small one

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Watch some team with only one ball win it. I definitely can see that happening regardless of percentages because it all depends on whatever ball is picked. Haha, geez I hope Florida gets Crosby. I could see it now, a line of Nathan Horton-Sidney Crosby-Dany Roussin.......well actually no, I couldnt, anyways, I just hope some team like Tampa or Toronto or Colorado doesnt win because thats pretty unfair to have teams with success getting the first pick..........oops, sorry, I can't include Toronto in that group ;-) . Anyways, I think he's either going to NY or CBJ, wow CBJ will be scary in the future if they get him, they already are with Zherdev, Nash and Picard.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
i'm really hoping for the blackhawks in this lottery..... they seem to be stuck in mediocrity ever since losing roenick and belfour years back....

and this coming from a wings fan :eek:

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
FlyersFan10 said:
What a joke and a farce of a draft system. While I'm not condoning that the Flyers deserve Crosby or anything like that, it should have been an equal weighted draft for all teams. Meaning, every team deserves a 1 in 30 shot at Crosby. Now you'll have teams whose mediocrity has been rewarded by getting up to four chances to get Crosby. I hope that a large market team like Detroit wins the draft so they can stick it right in Bettman's face. Once again, our fearless commissioner even manages to screw up the draft. I guess the good news is that Sid won't go to Washington.....

dumbest comment i have ever read. in fact we are all now more dumb after reading this. the point of the draft is to elevate mediocure teams, not to keep the big ones dominant....and the NYR are still in the worlds biggest market place. so i hope you get your wish and they get him....

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
PanthersRule said:
Watch some team with only one ball win it.

If TSN is right, there is a 40% chance that one of those teams with only one ball will win it. Of course, each one of those teams only has a 2.2% chance individually, but in combination, they collectively have a 40% chance.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
SensGuy said:
EroCraps said:
So the Craps (among others) are punished for winning the lottery and only get 1 ball?

Yet teams that have finished in the bottom 5 the past few years are rewarded.

Brilliant.
Exactly. Teams that have gotten top-flight studs the past few years should have slightly less of a shot at Crosby. My Thrashers have been penalized the same way for winning Kovalchuk.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The Maltais Falcon said:
Exactly. Teams that have gotten top-flight studs the past few years should have slightly less of a shot at Crosby. My Thrashers have been penalized the same way for winning Kovalchuk.

Lehtonen, Malkin, Heatley, Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Gaborik, Zherdev are just a few of the guys who went top 3-5.

I get the playoff penatly, but the lottery seems a bit much. But what can you do.

Aldous Snow

Jun 11, 2005
I understand the lottery penalty but the Playoff one is harsh to me. The isles getting penalized here (the 6th seed once and 8th seed once) is like a team being penalized for picking 5th overall in previous drafts and being penalized because they were "pretty successful" in the lottery. The isles have won nothing in the playoffs, and havent had 1 top 10 pick (which was traded) in the last 4 years. They have also had a payroll in the lower 1/3 of the league and lost money as a franchise.

Someone tell me how they have are among the teams with the least chance of winning "the crosby lottery"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad