Bob Mckenzie relayed draft lottery scenerio

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
just on tsn, bob mckenzie stated how the draft lottery would break down....

on july 21st (next thursday) they will hold the draft..... this is how the breakdown of the odds will take place:

- every team will have 3 ping pong balls
- if u made the playoffs in any of the last 3 years, u lose a ping pong ball
- if u made the playoffs in all of the past 3 years, u are only allowed to lose 2 balls
- if u had the top overall pick in the last 4 years, u lose a ping pong ball
- if u dealt for the number 1 pick (like columbus did to get nash, taking the 1st from florida) u dont lose a ball, the team that originally had the #1 pick will lose it

so a team lilke columbus will have all their balls in the lottery, and could crosby (if they win the lottery) with nash and zherdev :amazed:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
A lot of teams will have all their ping-pong balls.

Nashville, New York Rangers, Atlanta...those are off the top of my head.

Nashville should lose a ball due to playoff participation.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
fedorov_jr said:
just on tsn, bob mckenzie stated how the draft lottery would break down....

on july 21st (next thursday) they will hold the draft..... this is how the breakdown of the odds will take place:

- every team will have 3 ping pong balls
- if u made the playoffs in any of the last 3 years, u lose a ping pong ball
- if u made the playoffs in all of the past 3 years, u are only allowed to lose 2 balls
- if u had the top overall pick in the last 4 years, u lose a ping pong ball
- if u dealt for the number 1 pick (like columbus did to get nash, taking the 1st from florida) u dont lose a ball, the team that originally had the #1 pick will lose it

so a team lilke columbus will have all their balls in the lottery, and could crosby (if they win the lottery) with nash and zherdev :amazed:

I wonder about that with Columbus though, because technically it was their ball that won in 02, giving Florida the #1 pick (part of the deal Columbus made for the Nash pick IIRC). Still, I love that it ended up like this.

FlyersFan10*

What a joke and a farce of a draft system. While I'm not condoning that the Flyers deserve Crosby or anything like that, it should have been an equal weighted draft for all teams. Meaning, every team deserves a 1 in 30 shot at Crosby. Now you'll have teams whose mediocrity has been rewarded by getting up to four chances to get Crosby. I hope that a large market team like Detroit wins the draft so they can stick it right in Bettman's face. Once again, our fearless commissioner even manages to screw up the draft. I guess the good news is that Sid won't go to Washington.....

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
So here's how many balls each team has:

ANA: 2 balls
ATL: 2 balls
BOS: 1 ball
BUF: 3 balls
CGY: 2 balls
CAR: 2 balls
CHI: 2 balls
COL: 1 ball
CBS: 3 balls
DAL: 1 ball
DET: 1 ball
EDM: 2 balls
FLA: 1 ball
LA: 2 balls
MIN: 2 balls
MON: 1 ball
NSH: 2 balls
NJ: 1 ball
NYI: 1 ball
NYR: 3 balls
OTT: 1 ball
PHI: 1 ball
PHO: 2 balls
PIT: 3 balls
SJ: 1 ball
STL: 1 ball
TB: 1 ball
TOR: 1 ball
VAN: 1 ball
WSH: 1 ball

A grand total of 48 balls.

silver_made*

No team has a gross percentage advantage. This will be the most exciting lottery EVER.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
What a joke and a farce of a draft system. While I'm not condoning that the Flyers deserve Crosby or anything like that, it should have been an equal weighted draft for all teams. Meaning, every team deserves a 1 in 30 shot at Crosby. Now you'll have teams whose mediocrity has been rewarded by getting up to four chances to get Crosby. I hope that a large market team like Detroit wins the draft so they can stick it right in Bettman's face. Once again, our fearless commissioner even manages to screw up the draft. I guess the good news is that Sid won't go to Washington.....

:shakehead The %age difference between 3 balls and 2 balls or 1 ball will be so slight it could hardly be considered an advantage or guarantee that the team will be picking high. This is the right way of doing it. The one for one deal is nothing but a benefit for the better teams and their fans who supported it. They should still be happy that they have a shot at Crosby, than no shot at all. So stop the :cry:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:

I don't understand your complaint. Below average teams get "rewarded" by the draft ordering anyway. But according to the new formula, your Flyers actually have a shot at the #1 pick whereas normally they probably wouldn't.

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
12# Peter Bondra said:
So here's how many balls each team has:

ANA: 2 balls
ATL: 2 balls
BOS: 1 ball
BUF: 3 balls
CGY: 2 balls
CAR: 2 balls
CHI: 2 balls
COL: 1 ball
CBS: 3 balls
DAL: 1 ball
DET: 1 ball
EDM: 2 balls
FLA: 1 ball
LA: 2 balls
MIN: 2 balls
MON: 1 ball
NSH: 2 balls
NJ: 1 ball
NYI: 1 ball
NYR: 3 balls
OTT: 1 ball
PHI: 1 ball
PHO: 2 balls
PIT: 3 balls
SJ: 1 ball
STL: 1 ball
TB: 1 ball
TOR: 1 ball
VAN: 1 ball
WSH: 1 ball

A grand total of 48 balls.

Pittsburgh drafted Marc-Andre Fleury #1 overall. Why would they have all 3 balls. Also, why do the Islanders only have 1 ball? DePietro was drafted 5 years ago. :dunno:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Looks like a good system IMO, my only issue is that Columbus and the Pens should have one less ball since they did have 1st overall picks. but as someone else pointed out, the %difference is not huge.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Draftman said:
Pittsburgh drafted Marc-Andre Fleury #1 overall. Why would they have all 3 balls. Also, why do the Islanders only have 1 ball? DePietro was drafted 5 years ago. :dunno:

The Penguins traded for the #1 overall pick with Florida in a package that included the legendary Mikael Samuelsson. The Islanders have made the playoffs, therefore they lose a ball for each time but still retain the one token ball that everyone has.

skerbud

Feb 28, 2005
i agree there is no easy way to do the draft . But I am glad that Pitts . will get a shot at the crosby show. :handclap:

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Draftman said:
PIT got that pick from FLA in a trade, it was FLA's pick (the 1st OA) but they traded it.

It only takes the no.1 pick from the last 4 years, not 5 so NYI is clear.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Draftman said:

i was wondering that myself until i did some homework.... the pens got that 1st rounder from florida who dealt it to them for 3rd overall and samuelsson - and thats the reason why the panthers only have 1 pick and not 2 (or 3 cuz they had the 1st in the rick nash draft too)

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
DarthSather99 said:
:shakehead The %age difference between 3 balls and 2 balls or 1 ball will be so slight it could hardly be considered an advantage or guarantee that the team will be picking high. This is the right way of doing it. The one for one deal is nothing but a benefit for the better teams and their fans who supported it. They should still be happy that they have a shot at Crosby, than no shot at all. So stop the :cry:

I'm not trying to be contentious, but I think your analysis is incorrect. You have to look at the ratio of three balls to two balls. A team with three balls has a 50% greater chance of winning the lottery than a team with two balls. It has a 200% greater chance of winning than a team with only one ball.

While 3 balls only give you a 1 in 16 chance of winning, it's still 50% better than only having 1 chance in 24 and 200% better than 1 chance in 48.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
So the Caps (among others) are punished for winning the lottery and only get 1 ball?

Yet teams that have finished in the bottom 5 the past few years are rewarded.

Brilliant.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
This looks as fair as possible to me. I'm glad they inserted the provision that a team loses a ball if they won the lottery in the last few years...

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I was wondering if the First ball out will be for #1, or #30? It would kinda suck to have your teams ball chosen first, only to get the 30th pick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->