OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Watching The Messiah on Netflix. Pretty damn good show. Not many people are talking about it.
I checked it out on your recommendation and I'm into it.

Critics didn't like it, which is part of why there's no buzz, but I think it's understood at this point to disregard the critics' reception on Rotten Tomatoes and just focus on audience score.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I checked it out on your recommendation and I'm into it.

Critics didn't like it, which is part of why there's no buzz, but I think it's understood at this point to disregard the critics' reception on Rotten Tomatoes and just focus on audience score.
Yeah I enjoyed it quite a bit.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Vancouver has shut down due to a minimal amount of snow (by Canada standards). I appreciate my day off and wish there was a bolts game.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
janne-niinimaa-6f0fbe4e-f8d2-49a5-956f-24659e432a6-resize-750.jpeg

Came across this pic again today and was reminded this is one of the greatest pictures in recorded human history.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I got Europa Universalis IV for a dollar on Humble. 85% positive user reviews on Steam.
Humble Europa Universalis IV Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)

It's similar to games like Crusader Kings II (which is free to keep now), Civilization, Total War, etc.

Like other Paradox games (CK2 included) there's a lot of paid DLC available, but the dollar tier comes with some included. I believe you can import your CK2 game to EU4 as well (with some DLC of course). It seems like Paradox is thankfully easing off that DLC-happy business model with Imperator and CK3 though.

EU4 wiki
Beginner's guide - Europa Universalis 4 Wiki

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I got Europa Universalis IV for a dollar on Humble. 85% positive user reviews on Steam.
Humble Europa Universalis IV Bundle (pay what you want and help charity)

It's similar to games like Crusader Kings II (which is free to keep now), Civilization, Total War, etc.

Like other Paradox games (CK2 included) there's a lot of paid DLC available, but the dollar tier comes with some included. I believe you can import your CK2 game to EU4 as well (with some DLC of course). It seems like Paradox is thankfully easing off that DLC-happy business model with Imperator and CK3 though.

EU4 wiki
Beginner's guide - Europa Universalis 4 Wiki
I have about 3000 hours into Paradox games by now. Victoria II is by far my favorite, but EUIV is really solid.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I have about 3000 hours into Paradox games by now. Victoria II is by far my favorite, but EUIV is really solid.
Do you have a recommended starting country for EU4? I'm seeing Castile, Portugal, and the Ottomans online. The CK2 community is pretty much set on Ireland being Tutorial Island.

I'm leaning towards Castile. As a side note, the IRL Spanish Reconquista is very interesting. YouTube channel Flash Point History is mostly focused on that subject. It's sort of amazing that they were able to get in the right position at all to profit off of Columbus' discovery.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Do you have a recommended starting country for EU4? I'm seeing Castile, Portugal, and the Ottomans online. The CK2 community is pretty much set on Ireland being Tutorial Island.

I'm leaning towards Castile. As a side note, the IRL Spanish Reconquista is very interesting. YouTube channel Flash Point History is mostly focused on that subject. It's sort of amazing that they were able to get in the right position at all to profit off of Columbus' discovery.
Castile has a good starting position and nice events like the Iberian Wedding and you'll have easy colonization. Ottomans are more fun if you just want to beat up everything.

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks @TheFurryPickle. I'm really trying to get my like-post ratio to go over 1, and that really helped.

No problem :) Wasnt done at the time but the power went out.

Ive a backlog of likes to give out. So, i decided to write a script that kinda does it for me. Was testing it before but we are having f***ing power outages here for some stupid reason. Im fine tuning and tweaking it. But look, the likes are very genuine (like Ive clicked them personally ok)

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
No problem :) Wasnt done at the time but the power went out.

Ive a backlog of likes to give out. So, i decided to write a script that kinda does it for me. Was testing it before but we are having ****ing power outages here for some stupid reason. Im fine tuning and tweaking it. But look, the likes are very genuine (like Ive clicked them personally ok)
You should like and subscribe to the power plant.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm devastated people have already thought of the 'Eat the Rich' joke regarding Mr. Peanut's untimely demise.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Some more quick thoughts on the KyoAni works I've seen over the past few months... Beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel as there's only a few more left to see!

Tsurune - This show is a sports drama about kyudo (Japanese archery) but it's a lot more low key than Free! That makes it a little slow at first but I found myself getting more and more drawn to the characters as it went on. The main character Minato is very relatable as he struggles with "target panic" that started during his middle school career. Along the way he meets a new coach who is probably one of my favorite teacher/father figures in all of anime. The finale of the show is just absolutely breathtaking and all sorts of emotions swelled up while watching it. Everything about the portrayal of the sport is just so accurate and makes it even more compelling. Sound direction in general was outstanding too and a key part of the show.

Nichijou - This is a pretty silly comedy sketch style show, and yet KyoAni spared no amount of resources animating it, which just makes it even more absurd. It really is a one of a kind experience, even if some of the humor is kind of niche or Japanese-centric. Still I couldn't stop laughing during some of the better parts while going WTF at others. I see why it is a cult classic now. Mai is one of the biggest troll characters I've ever seen.

Munto - Originally released as an OVA in 2003, but I went ahead and watched the 2009 TV version, which includes the original material plus some new stuff. The animation aged a lot better than I expected as there are a lot of visually appealing moments in the magical battles, but the story is a bit confusing and more conceptual than anything else. A huge war is waged in the heavens over a dwindling resource of magic, while a girl on Earth can restore the flow of it. Yoshiji Kigami, who was KyoAni's oldest animator and kind of one of their founding fathers, was responsible for this one and you can see a lot of his influence on their later works in it.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - The first season of Full Metal Panic! is pretty good anime in its own right, but it was done by Gonzo, not KyoAni. FMP is a fun and interesting combination of slice of life and mecha, with Fumoffu being a side story focused on the slice of life part. Sousuke is a mercenary charged with protecting a high school girl who is an important asset, so of course he goes undercover and enrolls as a student. He has trouble not seeing any and everything as a threat to her, so hilarity ensues. This is Yasuhiro Takemoto's directorial debut and he does a great job of showing his comedic chops here, showing us a different side to all the characters you get to know in the original show. Anyway I laughed a lot during this one.

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - This is the real sequel to the first season of FMP, and it surpasses it in every regard. It makes me wish KyoAni did another mecha or sci-fi, because it's so well done. Not many shows can make you laugh one moment, cry the next, and then cheer on some incredible action scenes, but this one certainly did for me. Takemoto's versatility was in full display and it was a portent of things to come in the future, having later been the director of such varied works as Hyouka, Dragon Maid, and High Speed (and highlights what a huge loss he is as well, unfortunately).

Air - Early on in their run, KyoAni adapted several visual novels by a studio called Key. This is the first of them. I'm usually not crazy about VN adaptations as they tend to be a mess, and Air is no exception to that in a way, but it manages to hold it together better than most. If you're into magical realism and the like, it's a show for you. If not you'll probably find it really weird. Overall it's one of those outsider comes into town and delves into their mysteries and solves problems for them type stories. A couple of the arcs were particularly well executed and got me teared up, and it's a very sad/bittersweet story overall.

Next up for me is a smash-hit series: Haruhi, which I have already seen a great deal of but have forgotten somewhat, so I'm interested to see how I feel about it this time.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Two recommendations:

FAT: A Documentary - Amazon Prime Video
A documentary about how eating fat isn't bad for you and that added sugar is really the culprit. I will say that in the months since I mostly switched my diet to be more fat-based (and try to buy less processed versions of things), I've been passively losing weight.

Rise of Empires: Ottoman - Netflix
A docudrama that focuses on the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. The fall of Constantinople. Narrated by Tywin Lannister himself, Charles Dance. It happens right at the beginning of the timeline of Europa Universalis IV actually, if it puts you in the mood (the bundle is still going on Humble Bundle for another week). It's nice to see some coverage of history outside the typical 'western' historical hotspots. US, England, France, Rome, Egypt, Spanish colonization, Ancient Greece etc.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Two recommendations:

FAT: A Documentary - Amazon Prime Video
A documentary about how eating fat isn't bad for you and that added sugar is really the culprit. I will say that in the months since I mostly switched my diet to be more fat-based (and try to buy less processed versions of things), I've been passively losing weight.

Rise of Empires: Ottoman - Netflix
A docudrama that focuses on the beginnings of the Ottoman Empire. The fall of Constantinople. Narrated by Tywin Lannister himself, Charles Dance. It happens right at the beginning of the timeline of Europa Universalis IV actually, if it puts you in the mood (the bundle is still going on Humble Bundle for another week). It's nice to see some coverage of history outside the typical 'western' historical hotspots. US, England, France, Rome, Egypt, Spanish colonization, Ancient Greece etc.
Ottoman history is pretty fascinating, especially as foils for Austria and Venice.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Explain to me the popularity of the Hyundai commercial on Twitter. Is it because famous people? Is it because famous people do funnee Bawston voice?

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A live action Mighty Ducks show could be pretty cool though in theory. Either you age with the kids (like the movies) or you cut some kids loose every year because they've aged out, and revisit them later to reflect on what the Ducks did for them. Make it about the program.

I think that's a more interesting, but difficult approach. In hockey, you play on a million different teams over the years, so what makes the Ducks special?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad