OT 19/3: COVID-19 Isolation Chamber/Panic Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Everyone becomes a Mary Sue/Marty Stu cartoon at the end though. Tyrion and Sansa get it the worst. Euron always was. Arya gets her moments.

Emilia Clarke was able to overcome her writing much better than Kit Harrington IMO. Maybe a supporting player like Gwen Christie/Brienne would be deserving for season 8 as well.

Don't even get me started on Sansa/Sophie Turner. Season 8 was garbage because somehow overnight Sansa became the gold standard of everyone being smart. For 7 seasons the show taught us that every Stark with the sole exception of Rickon (because we hardly ever saw him and I never saw any bad choices on his end) was the most honorable person you could meet but was absolutely dumb as hell in the "common sense" department and their decision making/or lack thereof would backfire immensely. Sansa married a Bolton after the Joffrey fiasco (I don't want to hear the Littlefinger excuse) Robb didn't keep his promise (even more stupid) Jon Snow made peace with wildlings (very honorable but still not a good idea) Bran climbed the tower after he said he wouldn't (stupid and probably should've died for it) and Arya somehow didn't get the idea that she was messing with powerful people and blinded herself. Oh yeah and there was Ned... damn it Ned. But now after all that, suddenly the "Stjoopid gu'l with stjoopid dreams" is queen chess player. The show didn't just bend over backward to accommodate her supposed new intelligence, it did the equivalent of throwing the chess board across the room. More than rushing season 8, that is what I will forgive D&D the least for.

By the time season 7 was over I hated Sansa more than any character and by the end of season 8 it wasn't even close

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So many of the "heroes" in that show just weren't well played at all. The well played villains were what drove that show to its heights. Charles Dance FTW. That off the top of my head was one of my favorite performances. Thought he was masterful as Tywin Lannister. His looks and his presence at times made me feel like I was watching Christopher Lee again as Count Dooku and Saruman again. He had his moments where I was thinking "This guy is a self aware OG and knows it and has done it better and longer than anyone else"

I'll give HM to Jack Gleeson. Given how despicable the character was I think anyone could've hated Joffrey, but if you can sometimes make me forget I'm watching a show you did just fine.
Charles Dance is on the new season of The Crown, playing in that range, which made me happy.

YouTube channel 'The Dragon Demands' is great at cataloging where things on GoT went wrong, and the Starks generally started to veer off when .

He goes off for nearly 3 hours on breaking just that one decision down. I haven't read the books, but every impression I get is that Benioff & Weiss were not up to the challenge of running the show, and that reverberated stronger as they began to run out of material and patience.

GRRM says he takes so much time to write each book because great dialog takes time. That's how you got those epic monologues and quips. Benioff & Weiss had neither the skill nor patience to be able to give their actors suitable material.

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
So many of the "heroes" in that show just weren't well played at all. The well played villains were what drove that show to its heights. Charles Dance FTW. That off the top of my head was one of my favorite performances. Thought he was masterful as Tywin Lannister. His looks and his presence at times made me feel like I was watching Christopher Lee again as Count Dooku and Saruman again. He had his moments where I was thinking "This guy is a self aware OG and knows it and has done it better and longer than anyone else"

I'll give HM to Jack Gleeson. Given how despicable the character was I think anyone could've hated Joffrey, but if you can sometimes make me forget I'm watching a show you did just fine.
Tywin was my favorite. Oberyn a close second though. Followed by Jaime. Whose plot, as you said, ended kinda of poorly.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, I really liked Tywin and Roose Bolton. Great characters, great acting. Joffrey I didn't like but the acting was superb. The Starks actors - other than Ned - were lame and it didn't help that their stories became unbelievable, thin and Mary Sue-esque. Robb, Arya, Sansa, Cat, Bran... blehhhh.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Escapists and The Wolf Among Us, probably Telltale's best game, are free on Epic.

Ok, I'm having a serious Mandela Effect moment here.

How are there only 15 episodes of Mr Bean? WTF? I swear I watched like 85 episodes growing up.
Are there multiple segments in each episode? Like how most of the Nickelodeon cartoons actually had two, eleven minute shorts instead of one single episode.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The Escapists and The Wolf Among Us, probably Telltale's best game, are free on Epic.

Are there multiple segments in each episode? Like how most of the Nickelodeon cartoons actually had two, eleven minute shorts instead of one single episode.
Yes, but still. I remember so many. 15 episodes over 5 years...I can't be the only person?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Witcher on Netflix. A simple story told complexly. It's better than The Last Kingdom though, which is somewhat superficially similar. I'd say that's a simple story told simply.

GoT at it's best was a complex story told simply. The best combination.

Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia is surprisingly good. Maybe too accurate to the games as the fantasy world he inhabits needs constant explaining, which no one wants to do. Normally you'd have the main character be a charismatic fish out of water and need everything explained to them, but the point of Geralt is that he's very savvy and normally pretty serious with some sly wit. In later episodes, they do start pairing him up with characters that start explaining things, but most of the first episode is pretty rough with introducing its concepts.

I'm through 3 episodes and it seems to be a series that rewards you the more you watch.

The excellent Witcher games though are on sale. The Witcher 1 is $1.50 on GoG and The Witcher 2 is $3 on GoG and Steam. The Witcher 3 is $12 with the Game of the Year edition at $15.

The series developer owns GoG, so they'll always be available there.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I know no one has cared about The Man in the High Castle since season 1, but dang that final season was good.

The Epic Games Store is giving away a game a day until Jan 1st. Today is Ape Out.

Last edited:

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Happy holidays boys and girls

I have a gaming question. I just purchased The Witcher 3 Complete Edition ($14.99, PS Store) and Days Gone ($19.99, PS Store). I just wrapped up Spider Man DLC tonight. I am looking for advice for which game to start (and “complete”) first. I know The Witcher can take up to hundreds of hours (I am that kind of gamer, played Fallout 4 over 400 hours).

If you’ve played both TW3 and Days Gone, which would you recommend tackling first?

I was shopping for TW3 Complete Edition for a couple weeks and saw prices mostly between $35-$49 (Target, Amazon, etc). I was actually kind of frustrated that it still cost so much and almost bought it at those prices. So, if anyone has a PlayStation there are some good deals to be found now.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Happy holidays boys and girls

I have a gaming question. I just purchased The Witcher 3 Complete Edition ($14.99, PS Store) and Days Gone ($19.99, PS Store). I just wrapped up Spider Man DLC tonight. I am looking for advice for which game to start (and “complete”) first. I know The Witcher can take up to hundreds of hours (I am that kind of gamer, played Fallout 4 over 400 hours).

If you’ve played both TW3 and Days Gone, which would you recommend tackling first?

I was shopping for TW3 Complete Edition for a couple weeks and saw prices mostly between $35-$49 (Target, Amazon, etc). I was actually kind of frustrated that it still cost so much and almost bought it at those prices. So, if anyone has a PlayStation there are some good deals to be found now.
I use howlongtobeat.com.

Generally I end up in the Main+Extra category because I like side quests (which for western RPGs is often the best content), but don't muck around too much and generally can subtract a few hours from their total.

Witcher 3 is 52-127 hours.
Days Gone is 36-50 hours.

"Completionist" is 100%, which normally is pretty tedious in large games. Getting every hidden package, stunt jump, flag, jiggy, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I use howlongtobeat.com.

Generally I end up in the Main+Extra category because I like side quests (which for western RPGs is often the best content), but don't muck around too much and generally can subtract a few hours from their total.

Witcher 3 is 52-127 hours.
Days Gone is 36-50 hours.

"Completionist" is 100%, which normally is pretty tedious in large games. Getting every hidden package, stunt jump, flag, jiggy, etc.
I assumed you meant Red Dead Redemption 2 (“western RPGs”) and that was the first game I ever bothered to get the 100% achievement/ trophy for because I wanted to see everything in the game. But maybe you meant “western” as opposed to “Japanese”.

Thanks for the tip.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I assumed you meant Red Dead Redemption 2 (“western RPGs”) and that was the first game I ever bothered to get the 100% achievement/ trophy for because I wanted to see everything in the game. But maybe you meant “western” as opposed to “Japanese”.

Thanks for the tip.
Western RPGs as in RPGs developed in the west. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, BioWare games, etc.

I haven't played a full-blown turn-based JRPG in probably more than a decade, come to think of it. I have played some Yakuza and Souls games though.

If it sounds like any of the games Andrew is interested in, I probably haven't played it.

(language)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->