Bob McKenzie final rankings are on TSN.ca

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Grant,

Hopefully you read this, but outside of RNH, who do people think have the highest offensive potential?

By going off the list, am I to assume it's Strome who is the player with potentially the highest offensive output?

I say this because Landeskog is mentioned as a player on any line, suggesting he can be a second line player, the description in Huberdeau claims "first or second line forward". The same comment is made about Sean Coutierer, and for Strome, the comment is "top offensive center with point per game potential"

Am I right to assume that?

Don't read too much into those descriptions..you can't say the same thing for every prospect..you could still be a second-line center and have "point per game potential" depending on the team you have.

The players with the most offensive potential besides RNH...that's a good question. Here are some:

Huberdeau
Murphy
Strome
Grimaldi
Scheifele

But it doesn't mean there aren't others.....let's not forget that we're projecting 17-year-old kids, a very inexact science. Kucherov, Phillips and Armia also have lots of offensive upside, but are riskier picks for various reasons. And Landeskog can't be dismissed..with his work ethic and determination you don't know for sure what his his ceiling is at this point..

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Why? Schroeder dropped in large part due to his interviews at the combine. Grimaldi passed that test with flying colors.

I don't think that's true. You don't drop a high-end player predominantly because of some poor interviews..he didn't "blow" the interview with every team either I don't think. I met him in the elevator at the draft and we had a nice little chat..I asked him a few questions..he came across fine. I asked Trevor Timmins how their interviews went with him and he said he was fine.

Is Schroeder in the NHL right now? No..because the same issues scouts had at the time with his game are still there, and it's not because he's "arrogant" or a poor communicator.....he's not a great skater for his size. Grimaldi IS a great skater for his size...for that reason, and it's a very important one in today's NHL..I could see Grimaldi being picked higher than Schroeder was selected.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Grant, what's your view on Sheifele and Armia? I think they are the two most interesting prospects around the 17th mark, even though they might be gone.

Are they risky picks? Knowing the Habs org, do you think they'd take a shot at them?

tavares

Mar 9, 2011
Grant maybe you can help me to know where Adam Larsson,Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Strome will end up if you have some inside about them.

Felix29

Seth Ambroz

Grant,

Is there anyone at all high on Seth Ambroz?

I've been pretty down on the kid and was hoping for alot more out of him this season in the USHL. I don't see it, but do you or scouts you've spoken to, see any reason to pick this guy inside the top-120?

Thanks!

4thliner*

Grimaldi will drop like Schreoder two years ago.

That Pejorative Slured thing about how Sean Avery was a player he looked up to....among other dumb things he said in the interviews did him in.

Put then again, looking at his progression right now, 21 was actually too high of a place to take him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think that's true. You don't drop a high-end player predominantly because of some poor interviews..he didn't "blow" the interview with every team either I don't think. I met him in the elevator at the draft and we had a nice little chat..I asked him a few questions..he came across fine. I asked Trevor Timmins how their interviews went with him and he said he was fine.

Is Schroeder in the NHL right now? No..because the same issues scouts had at the time with his game are still there, and it's not because he's "arrogant" or a poor communicator.....he's not a great skater for his size. Grimaldi IS a great skater for his size...for that reason, and it's a very important one in today's NHL..I could see Grimaldi being picked higher than Schroeder was selected.

Fair enough. I know he didn't interview well with many teams. Personally, I never thought he'd fast track to the NHL. I don't think he's a project per se, but he'll have to pay his dues for a few years. The Canucks have little reason to rush him (or Hodgson).

4thliner*

Did RNH sleep with your mother? You seem to despise the guy.

So someone other than your dad slept with your mother?

Anyway, I don't hate RNH at all. He is worthy of top 5 pick. But for me he is not #1.

Adam Larsson anyday of the week twice on Sunday is #1 for me. I would also take Landeskog ahead of him and possibly Huberdeau. Then RNH, then Strome or Couturier, then Z bad.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Great mock as usual. I'll never doubt McKenzie, but I would expect all of these guys to go higher:
- Bartschi (has him ranked 16th)
- McNeill (has him ranked 19th)
- Puempel (has him ranked 27th)
- Khokhlachev (has him ranked 44th)

Not saying they'll go WAY higher, but I would expect at least a bit higher for all of them, though I'm far more likely to be wrong than McKenzie.

If McNeill starts falling to the mid/late teens, I hope Burke tries hard to trade up for him, he'd be awesome for the Leafs. And I hope Puempel does indeed fall to the late/end of the 1st, I'd love him for the Leafs too.

Last edited:

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
That Pejorative Slured thing about how Sean Avery was a player he looked up to....among other dumb things he said in the interviews did him in.

Put then again, looking at his progression right now, 21 was actually too high of a place to take him.

Wrong!:shakehead The question was who would you rather have dinner with: Obama, Sharapova or Avery? So, apperently, he's a republican and smart enough to know he wouldn't get anywhere with Sharapova. Pejorative Slured?-= whoever came up with that question and thought the answer would be meaningful. At least Avery is a professional hockey player playing at the highest level, the same place every kid at the combine is trying to get to.

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
Grant,

Is there anyone at all high on Seth Ambroz?

I've been pretty down on the kid and was hoping for alot more out of him this season in the USHL. I don't see it, but do you or scouts you've spoken to, see any reason to pick this guy inside the top-120?

Thanks!
Because he's good. The main thing people don't realize is that Ambroz was asked to play a primarily defensive role this year, his offensive output only dropped by 3 pts.

Seguins Dragon*

Great mock as usual. I'll never doubt McKenzie, but I would expect all of these guys to go higher:
- Bartschi (has him ranked 16th)
- McNeill (has him ranked 19th)
- Puempel (has him ranked 27th)
- Khokhlachev (has him ranked 44th)

Not saying they'll go WAY higher, but I would expect at least a bit higher for all of them, though I'm far more likely to be wrong than McKenzie.

If McNeill starts falling to the mid/late teens, I hope Burke tries hard to trade up for him, he'd be awesome for the Leafs. And I hope Puempel does indeed fall to the late/end of the 1st, I'd love him for the Leafs too.

Ponder, that wasn't the mock last night, though I did like the outcome myself as well. :laugh:

Last night was Bob Mackenzie's ranking of the prospects, and tonight at 7pm or 730pm on TSN is the actual mock draft....

For instance, last night had Hamilton at #6, I doubt with their defense core they have Ottawa drafts another Dman, I guarantee they take a forward at the 6 spot.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BRODIN at #10 is a huge surprise ---I thoughthe goes no earlier that #19...theother two insertions to the top 17 (BEFORE the Blackhaws get to pick at #18) given by Mckenzie that might not go as high as he puts them are ARMIA and BIGGS...IF just 1 of 3 teams drafting before CHI gets a chance to draft MILLER ( MCKENZIE's #18 and MY prefrred pick for Chicago) decides they like MILLER better than BRODIN, ARMIA or BIGGS --or even if MCNEILL replaces any of BRODIN,ARMIA or BIGGS and a team drafting efore 18 still prefers MILLER over either of the remaing 2 of these 3 --then the "perfect need pick"--MILLER --goes out thewindow for Chicago..

THE bad news: MCKENZIE has only predicted a match of his ranked #18 to the same player taken at #18 ONLY 1/7 times for the last 7 drafts... THE good news (for CHI): ONLY 2/7 of the #18's ranked by McKenzie for the last 7 drafts were taken EARLIER than #18 ...SO there is a good probability MILLER still willbe there at #18.

IF so--thequestion is: DOES STAN BOWMAN take him -or willhe pull a big mistake in bypassing him for somebody else which may re-visit the SKILLE/KOPITAR fiasco of the 2005 draft (where your truely was sceaming on these boards for CHI to take KOPITAR and AVOID SKille ...now I scream to take MILLER if he is still on the board.

IF Stan bypases MILLER the kid he picks had better pan out--or else!

IN round two:

MCKENZIE ranks STEFAN NOESEN at #33 ..I have him as my preferrd pick for CHI at #36 ..so maybe he does go off the board just a few picks ahead of us...

IF that happens CHI could either trade down a bit or go ahead with alternatives at #36:

IN either case -I would gamble (If I can;t get the safe pick--Noesen) here and take
KUCHEROV (maybe he never comesover-but if he does --even if it takes 4 years-- you may be getting a Mike Bossy-like sniper par excellence)...MCKENZIE has him only at #56 --but that is ONLY because of the KHL risk -the talent is top 5 equal or better to anyone going that high in this draft.. (IN reality i still think some team takes this gamble earlier-maybe even in round one-but if NHL teams are as scared as Mckenzie thinks on the KHL factor then only a team with multiple 2 nds islikely to gamble earlier than thought by the "conensus" of NHL team scouts polled by McKenzie..

AT #43 - I had targeted CHI taking a goalie....MCKENZIE had both the top 2 conensus goalies JOHN GIBSON (His #37) and CHRIS GIBSON (his #42) off the board before CHI picks at #43..

IF they want a goalie there-then My advice is tale i) MAGNUS HELLBERG --not ranked top 60 by McKenzie but given an honourable mention or ii) JORDAN BINNINGTON (McKenzie ranks him only #58)..
MCKENZIE ranks 2 other goalies higher than BINNINGTON between the 43 to 58
rankings--he has SAMU PERHONEN at #51 and DAVID HONZIK at # 55
...l PERHONEN flopped at the World U-18 and HONZIK --sorry I just don't think he's better than BINNINGTON ..but my advice still stands : HELLBERG preferred or Binnington if a younger goalie preferred ..

IF CHI does not want a goalie as highas #43:

THEN I'd go long-range development project: 6'4 210 JOE LABATE -a Minn. high-schooler (2nd highest ranked MInn H.S. prospect by Central scouting---not a top 60 by McKenzie but an honourable mention..You risk more with any highschooler --but this bIG kid willdevelop and add weight to the big frame at Wisconsin ..

CHI has 2 3rd rounders-- I would advise trading the #70 (actually the 69th selection as NJ forfeits it) and the CHI 4th rounder to either move back up to the late 2nd (eg. #54 --PITT has that pick but has no 3rd rounders) ...CHI if they get that late 2nd rounder could take their goalie there instead of #43 (SO Hellberg or Binnington) OR they could grab another forward ilike a lot RW MIKKA SALOMAKI
who projectsas a 3rd line 2-way checker type -but he is a very "driven" player with lots of edge and sandpaper yet enough skill to score the impirtant golas-you want thistype on your team somewhere.

WITH the remaing 3rd rounder # 79 (actually the 78th selection) -only then would I think CHI goes D-man .....ANDRE PEDAN or JORDAN SEFTON ..or KLAS DAHLBECK

If CHI gave up its 4th rounder with the #70 to move back up to late 2nd or early 60's ...then I'd advise trading their 5th and the earlier of the 2 7ths or the 5th and a 2012 6th to move back up into round 4 again...take another d-man
EDDIE WITTCHOW or MIKE MCKEE..

In round 6 -take another goalie--JOHAN MATTSSON.

I'm not sure yet who to take with the one or two 7th rounders...depends who remains onthe board.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
BRODIN at #10 is a huge surprise ---I thoughthe goes no earlier that #19...theother two insertions to the top 17 (BEFORE the Blackhaws get to pick at #18) given by Mckenzie that might not go as high as he puts them are ARMIA and BIGGS...IF just 1 of 3 teams drafting before CHI gets a chance to draft MILLER ( MCKENZIE's #18 and MY prefrred pick for Chicago) decides they like MILLER better than BRODIN, ARMIA or BIGGS --or even if MCNEILL replaces any of BRODIN,ARMIA or BIGGS and a team drafting efore 18 still prefers MILLER over either of the remaing 2 of these 3 --then the "perfect need pick"--MILLER --goes out thewindow for Chicago..

THE bad news: MCKENZIE has only predicted a match of his ranked #18 to the same player taken at #18 ONLY 1/7 times for the last 7 drafts... THE good news (for CHI): ONLY 2/7 of the #18's ranked by McKenzie for the last 7 drafts were taken EARLIER than #18 ...SO there is a good probability MILLER still willbe there at #18.

IF so--thequestion is: DOES STAN BOWMAN take him -or willhe pull a big mistake in bypassing him for somebody else which may re-visit the SKILLE/KOPITAR fiasco of the 2005 draft (where your truely was sceaming on these boards for CHI to take KOPITAR and AVOID SKille ...now I scream to take MILLER if he is still on the board.

IF Stan bypases MILLER the kid he picks had better pan out--or else!

IN round two:

MCKENZIE ranks STEFAN NOESEN at #33 ..I have him as my preferrd pick for CHI at #36 ..so maybe he does go off the board just a few picks ahead of us...

IF that happens CHI could either trade down a bit or go ahead with alternatives at #36:

IN either case -I would gamble (If I can;t get the safe pick--Noesen) here and take
KUCHEROV (maybe he never comesover-but if he does --even if it takes 4 years-- you may be getting a Mike Bossy-like sniper par excellence)...MCKENZIE has him only at #56 --but that is ONLY because of the KHL risk -the talent is top 5 equal or better to anyone going that high in this draft.. (IN reality i still think some team takes this gamble earlier-maybe even in round one-but if NHL teams are as scared as Mckenzie thinks on the KHL factor then only a team with multiple 2 nds islikely to gamble earlier than thought by the "conensus" of NHL team scouts polled by McKenzie..

AT #43 - I had targeted CHI taking a goalie....MCKENZIE had both the top 2 conensus goalies JOHN GIBSON (His #37) and CHRIS GIBSON (his #42) off the board before CHI picks at #43..

IF they want a goalie there-then My advice is tale i) MAGNUS HELLBERG --not ranked top 60 by McKenzie but given an honourable mention or ii) JORDAN BINNINGTON (McKenzie ranks him only #58)..
MCKENZIE ranks 2 other goalies higher than BINNINGTON between the 43 to 58
rankings--he has SAMU PERHONEN at #51 and DAVID HONZIK at # 55
...l PERHONEN flopped at the World U-18 and HONZIK --sorry I just don't think he's better than BINNINGTON ..but my advice still stands : HELLBERG preferred or Binnington if a younger goalie preferred ..

IF CHI does not want a goalie as highas #43:

THEN I'd go long-range development project: 6'4 210 JOE LABATE -a Minn. high-schooler (2nd highest ranked MInn H.S. prospect by Central scouting---not a top 60 by McKenzie but an honourable mention..You risk more with any highschooler --but this bIG kid willdevelop and add weight to the big frame at Wisconsin ..

CHI has 2 3rd rounders-- I would advise trading the #70 (actually the 69th selection as NJ forfeits it) and the CHI 4th rounder to either move back up to the late 2nd (eg. #54 --PITT has that pick but has no 3rd rounders) ...CHI if they get that late 2nd rounder could take their goalie there instead of #43 (SO Hellberg or Binnington) OR they could grab another forward ilike a lot RW MIKKA SALOMAKI
who projectsas a 3rd line 2-way checker type -but he is a very "driven" player with lots of edge and sandpaper yet enough skill to score the impirtant golas-you want thistype on your team somewhere.

WITH the remaing 3rd rounder # 79 (actually the 78th selection) -only then would I think CHI goes D-man .....ANDRE PEDAN or JORDAN SEFTON ..or KLAS DAHLBECK

If CHI gave up its 4th rounder with the #70 to move back up to late 2nd or early 60's ...then I'd advise trading their 5th and the earlier of the 2 7ths or the 5th and a 2012 6th to move back up into round 4 again...take another d-man
EDDIE WITTCHOW or MIKE MCKEE..

In round 6 -take another goalie--JOHAN MATTSSON.

I'm not sure yet who to take with the one or two 7th rounders...depends who remains onthe board.

1. Bowman & Kelley know what they are doing
2. You have never in your life seen Miller play live and have had limited viewings on the tube (the same can be said for 99% of the draft eligible players) thus it is very hard to take you seriously re criticizing a professional GM & a highly regarded Director of Amateur Scouting.

eberlehall*

So someone other than your dad slept with your mother?

Anyway, I don't hate RNH at all. He is worthy of top 5 pick. But for me he is not #1.

Adam Larsson anyday of the week twice on Sunday is #1 for me. I would also take Landeskog ahead of him and possibly Huberdeau. Then RNH, then Strome or Couturier, then Z bad.

But doesn't that tell you when scouts and everyone else disagree's with you that you are 100% wrong? Or are you on of those people that thinks he is right and 99% of the world is wrong?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But doesn't that tell you when scouts and everyone else disagree's with you that you are 100% wrong? Or are you on of those people that thinks he is right and 99% of the world is wrong?

I completely disagree with everything he has to say about RNH but he is allowed to have an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad