Bob McKenzie final rankings are on TSN.ca

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Grant, if you're still around.. Joe Morrow & Ty Rattie. Products of a great offensive team or junior stars with star NHL potential in their own right?

I like your rankings.. in my 30 team keeper I drafted Mcneill @ 10, JT Miller @ 31, Kucherov @ 32, Rattie @ 37, & Morrow @ 39. :)

It's not a bad thing to be on a stacked team...didn't hurt Saint John's prospects either..gets you ready for playing with talented players at the next level, not to mention improves your game.

Not sure they'll be stars...I like Morrow more.. great skater and a helluva shot.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Hey Grant the rather large gap between Brodin at 10 and Klefbom at 21, surprised me especially since Brodin is substantially smaller and hasn't shown the capacity to put up a lot of points (not that many young players do in the SEL). Do you believe this spread is justified and if so what do you feel Brodin brings that makes him distinguishably superior?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Grant if last years draft was redone should skinner have gone 3rd ? Do teams worry about letting these type of players skip them?

SomE*

If Mika is still there at number 7, I strongly believe that Winnipeg will pick him as they aren't in need of a D-man. I want him to fall to the Bruins but I doubt, I would be happy with Murphy or Strome though. Seguin and Strome would be a dynamite duo in the future and would be fun to watch.

You'd be surprised how few of teams draft for need in the top 10.. BPA all the way

4thliner*

So is this a blow to Bob Mac's credibility, since according to all non-Oiler fans on this forum, there is nobody close to being a consensus #1 pick in the draft? Or, does it ruin the scouts' credibility? hmmmmm.....

It wasn't unanimous, 9 out of 10 scouts picked him number.

But it is all semantics. The 'separation' if there is such isn't that high this year. If you wanna talk about pure skill there isn't much difference between Huberdeau, RNH, and Strome and their productions are all similar.

Huberdeau showed the most compete and had the best playoffs, Strome, then RNH. Landeskog is most complete followed by Couturier. Z bad a guy who is said to play an Ovechkin skate with the puck and go power finesse style has made things even more intresting. He might go top 4 IMO.

eberlehall*

So RNH was taken #1 from 9/10 scouts. So much for no consensus #1 eh?

Anyone have a link or remember what amount of scouts had Hall #1 and Tavares or Stamkos?

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
You'd be surprised how few of teams draft for need in the top 10.. BPA all the way

I completely agree with this statement, in fact I would assume good management teams always think this way. However this year might be different in that there are so many good but not incredible players at every position (In the top 10), and just looking at the Canadian teams they're so unbalanced at the NHL level and in terms of blue chip prospects in the system.

Maybe this is the year we see the Oilers desperate to add a high end d-man, same thing with Sens & 'Jets' and their needs up front. Maybe there will be a lot of deals made, at the draft, on that basis. It certainly feels like an unusual draft year to me.

Oilmageddon*

But it is all semantics. The 'separation' if there is such isn't that high this year. If you wanna talk about pure skill there isn't much difference between Huberdeau, RNH, and Strome and their productions are all similar.

Huberdeau showed the most compete and had the best playoffs, Strome, then RNH. Landeskog is most complete followed by Couturier. Z bad a guy who is said to play an Ovechkin skate with the puck and go power finesse style has made things even more intresting. He might go top 4 IMO.
Ok not unanimous just 90% or overwhelming majority . Love these Sens fans semantics lol keep reaching Head and shoulders above the rest. 90% scouts say you gone full Pejorative Slur:nod:

Grapes99

Feb 21, 2010
Sasky

Did RNH sleep with your mother? You seem to despise the guy.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
When 90% of the most recently polled scouts and 100% of scouting services rank RNH #1, I'd say there's some clear separation.

RStar*

:laugh:

Wow.

9 out of 10 scouts means Hopkins made a clear distance between himself and the other prospects. Keep telling yourself otherwise though.

Seguins Dragon*

Grant,

Hopefully you read this, but outside of RNH, who do people think have the highest offensive potential?

By going off the list, am I to assume it's Strome who is the player with potentially the highest offensive output?

I say this because Landeskog is mentioned as a player on any line, suggesting he can be a second line player, the description in Huberdeau claims "first or second line forward". The same comment is made about Sean Coutierer, and for Strome, the comment is "top offensive center with point per game potential"

Am I right to assume that?

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Hey Grant the rather large gap between Brodin at 10 and Klefbom at 21, surprised me especially since Brodin is substantially smaller and hasn't shown the capacity to put up a lot of points (not that many young players do in the SEL). Do you believe this spread is justified and if so what do you feel Brodin brings that makes him distinguishably superior?

I'm not Grant but here's my opinion...

I don't think size is seen as an issue with Brodin at 6' 1", although he needs to add some muscle. My guess as to what these scouts value highly about Brodin is his smartness as a player. While Klefbom is seen as having higher offensive potential, he played 23 Elitserien games this season while Brodin was trusted with playing time in 42 regular season games and then in Färjestad's 14 playoff games.

Personally, I see Brodin as a safe pick who at 17 years (turns 18 on July 12) is already a regular contributor at Elitserien level. Klefbom, on the other hand, needs a bit more work on his weaknesses.

Kucherov at 56th overall...what a bargain.

He sounds like a really good player who would be ranked higher if not for the Russian factor. Note that the risk of choosing KHL over the NHL was mentioned for both Namestnikov and Khoklachev as well.

Looking at other players in this ranking, I was surprised to see Mayfield and Clendening so low - 46 and 49, respectively.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Smooth-skating, smart, sound decision-maker. Think Ryan Suter or something along those lines, if we want to take another route than the never-ending comparisons of Swedish D to Lidstrom.

Yeah, that really needs to end. It's as if every good Canadian blueline prospect who was a good skater was compared to Bobby Orr.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009

9 out of 10 - sounds to me like the scouts see quite a bit of separation. Otherwise, you don't usually get near-total consensus like that - with little separation, the ranking will be much more dependent on which factors each scout emphasise.

Eaglepride*

Well I wanted Brodin bad but jesus christ 10 overall now I see not even a slightly chance. Klefblom at 21 should be in reach as is Puempel.

Really surprised with the jumps from Brodin and Biggs.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
almost hilarious how everyone seems to be very surprised about Brodin.

The guy was at #12 in McKenzie's list in january, since then he had a great playoff champioship run in the SEL and was impeccable at the U18s worlds..

he is around 20 or beyond in almost every lists around here because he was not much talked about, but obviously NHL teams and their scouts are not affected by that, hence the much higher ranking in Bob's list is actually unsurprising.

his 20ish rankings would only make sense in your standard fantasy league, in real hockey (even more so NHL hockey) a guy this good at turning defensive zone action into neutral zone possession is tremendously valuable.

Being so smart at 17 (he is still 17) is something out of ordinary, good to see i'm not the only one to have him in the top 10.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
Loving everything I read in this thread.

9 player draft + amazing depth means it's great to have a top 9 pick and 6 picks in the top 66.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad