Bob MacKenzies team last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone26*

jtuzzi said:
I think a 4th "energy" line of Crosby - Staal - St. Louis/other would be very effective.

St. Louis will be put on a line with the other big two from Tampa Bay probably.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
wildone26 said:
St. Louis will be put on a line with the other big two from Tampa Bay probably.
I don't think he deserves it. I think a line-up like:

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Richards - Lecavalier - Bertuzzi
Nash - Thornton - Heatley
Crosby - Staal - Doan/St. Louis

would be more effective. Bertuzzi doesn't necessarily deserve it either, but based on what Gretzky has said, I think he is as good as a lock for this team, as the great one likes the way he plays the game, and is always praising him. I also think a presence like him and Vinny on the same line would be very scary, and open up a lot of space for the crafty Richards.

wildone26*

jtuzzi said:
I don't think he deserves it.

It is becoming increasingly clear that the lineup and how it is assembled will have next to nothing to do with who deserves anything, and all to do with......other stuff. :biglaugh: That is with the exception of the obvious, Sakic, Gagne, and Iginla leading the team as they should.

gbl1p

Jun 19, 2003
Ottawa
www.level1productions.com
wildone26 said:
It is becoming increasingly clear that the lineup and how it is assembled will have next to nothing to do with who deserves anything, and all to do with......other stuff. :biglaugh: That is with the exception of the obvious, Sakic, Gagne, and Iginla leading the team as they should.

Take your conspiracy elsewhere noobie. How come there always has to be one of these town cryers?

wildone26*

gbl1p said:
Take your conspiracy elsewhere noobie. How come there always has to be one of these town cryers?

Because there are people willing to speak their minds rather than just follow the status quo, and naively be led by hype. :eek:

gbl1p

Jun 19, 2003
Ottawa
www.level1productions.com
wildone26 said:
Because there are people willing to speak their minds rather than just follow the status quo, and naively be led by hype. :eek:

I've explained my thoughts on the team based on play and the characteristics of these hockey players, not hype. You're trying hard, and for that we still love you, but you should try to substantiate your thoughts on something more than maintaining this 'anything else is a fix' shtick.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
I'm with wildone...if the guesses and reports are true, then this is all too political. Guys like Bertuzzi, Crosby and Doan still havn't shown me why they should be on this team. Guys like Spezza, Staal and Morrow have.

Why is everyone so high on Bertuzzi anyway? The guy has scored 28 goals in his last 98 games...and 85 points. Decent numbers, but hardly superstar numbers. Not only that, he has spent the entire time playing top pp and playing with Naslund. Overrated.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
I don't see how Smyth can be left off. The guy is perfect for the 4th line grinding role and a character guy still producing at a ppg lvl. Doan is struggling this year and has less experience than Smyth, the only thing he has going for him is that he plays for Gretzky... otherwise he wouldn't be anymore considered than Morrow and many other guys who wont make the team.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
I know some of you would love all 3 kids on the team but I doubt that's going to happen. This isn't fantasy hockey. I'm guessing Crosby is going there out of Spezza, Crosby and Staal.

As for checkers I don't think Draper should be there. I think guys like Doan, Smyth, Morrow etc. can handle that job and provide some timely goals. But I would want someone on that line that can play the checking role and has done it before in the NHL or International play. I've seen some people propose Staal or Spezza there. Sorry but I wouldn't want that.

I'd rather have Draper there on the 4th line (and I don't want that either.).

I wonder how much consideration guys like Kariya and Marleau are getting.

wildone26*

Coffey77 said:
I know some of you would love all 3 kids on the team but I doubt that's going to happen. This isn't fantasy hockey. I'm guessing Crosby is going there out of Spezza, Crosby and Staal.

As for checkers I don't think Draper should be there. I think guys like Doan, Smyth, Morrow etc. can handle that job and provide some timely goals. But I would want someone on that line that can play the checking role and has done it before in the NHL or International play. I've seen some people propose Staal or Spezza there. Sorry but I wouldn't want that.

LOL! You think Crosby would be better as a 4th line checker. That is a hilarious thought. Yet that is what he would have to be since he isnt good enough to play on a scoring line. Of the three Staal would be best at that.

joe_shannon_1983*

Coffey77 said:
I wonder how much consideration guys like Kariya and Marleau are getting.

I hope that Kariya is getting a lot of consideration. He is my favourite player.

But I doubt he is getting much consideration. He may have too little points for a guy who is supposed to bring offense.

However, despite his low point totals, I wish Gretzky and Co. would focus more on the fact that he is the leading scorer for a top contender, and the fact that he has always came up huge in international tournaments before.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
MentalPowerHouse said:
I don't see how Smyth can be left off. The guy is perfect for the 4th line grinding role and a character guy still producing at a ppg lvl. Doan is struggling this year and has less experience than Smyth, the only thing he has going for him is that he plays for Gretzky... otherwise he wouldn't be anymore considered than Morrow and many other guys who wont make the team.
Smyth, as stated before, is a lock. He's near a PPG this year on an Edmonton team that lacks a game-breaking forward. He can play on the fourth line with his grit and defensive awareness. He's a force in front of the net. He has constantly answered the call for Canada. He has not played his way off the team.

There's a lot more to Doan's potential inclusion than just the Gretzky factor. He was fantastic in fourth line roles at the 2003 Worlds as part of the International Grind Line, and at the 2004 World Cup on the DDT line. (Any one of those DDT guys could have been named to the World Cup all-star team, IMO. Canada's best line at that tournament). He's another guy who has consistently won with Team Canada in recent years. He can hit, and chip in quantifiable offence.

wildone26*

ferns8916 said:
I hope that Kariya is getting a lot of consideration. He is my favourite player.

But I doubt he is getting much consideration. He may have too little points for a guy who is supposed to bring offense.

However, despite his low point totals, I wish Gretzky and Co. would focus more on the fact that he is the leading scorer for a top contender, and the fact that he has always came up huge in international tournaments before.

I agree on Kariya. He is the leading scorer on a Nashville team high in the standings, which shows his ability to still lead a team, even if his points arent as high as might be wanted. He also has proven to be a great leader of past Team Canadas. He is playing as well as I have seen him since 2003 when I have seen him play this year.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
wildone26 said:
LOL! You think Crosby would be better as a 4th line checker. That is a hilarious thought. Yet that is what he would have to be since he isnt good enough to play on a scoring line. Of the three Staal would be best at that.

Where did I say Crosby would be a checker? I said guys like DOAN, MORROW and SMYTH would be better off as checkers than Draper on the 4th line. I didn't mention Crosby as a checker, I stated he may make the team and is my guess out of the 3 kids to go to the Olympics.

If Crosby makes it he would probably start off as the extra forward. He may move up as the tourney goes or he doesn't play much.

wildone26*

That is the safest way to put a player who does not deserve to be on the team on the team, make him the "13th" forward, and then for the more worthy players say, "they didnt fit in on any of the lines" without explaining which line that 13th forward would fit in on any better. ;)

joe_shannon_1983*

Guys like Spezza and Staal quite possibly deserve to be on the 2006 team more than Crosby does.

But I think it is pointless to argue about it, because there is no way that Spezza or Staal get in ahead of Crosby.

You think that Lemieux is going to give up his spot, and see it go to Spezza or Staal? No way!

The day Lemieux gives up his spot is the exact same day Gretzky goes on the air and changes his attitude from "I don't know if Crosby will be on the team" to "absolutely Crosby will be on the team". Is this is a coincidence?

In the real world, where politics rule, people don't just give up their spot in companies/in parties/on teams without having a hand in deciding who replaces them. I would almost guarantee that Lemieux hand-picked his successor. I would also almost guarantee that Gretzky had no problem letting him do this, since Gretzky would know full well how it works.

There is no way Lemieux drops his spot, and sees it used on Spezza or Staal. I just can't see that happening.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
ferns8916 said:

It'd be a shame if Kariya didn't make this team. He's done so much for hockey Canada and he truly lives to play for his country. Not to mention his style of play is tailor-made for the Olympics.

I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't make the team, but I also wouldn't be very surprised.

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
ferns8916 said:
Guys like Spezza and Staal quite possibly deserve to be on the 2006 team more than Crosby does.

But I think it is pointless to argue about it, because there is no way that Spezza or Staal get in ahead of Crosby.

You think that Lemieux is going to give up his spot, and see it go to Spezza or Staal? No way!

The day Lemieux gives up his spot is the exact same day Gretzky goes on the air and changes his attitude from "I don't know if Crosby will be on the team" to "absolutely Crosby will be on the team". Is this is a coincidence?

In the real world, where politics rule, people don't just give up their spot in companies/in parties/on teams without having a hand in deciding who replaces them. I would almost guarantee that Lemieux hand-picked his successor. I would also almost guarantee that Gretzky had no problem letting him do this, since Gretzky would know full well how it works.

There is no way Lemieux drops his spot, and sees it used on Spezza or Staal. I just can't see that happening.

I feel you're right...but I sure hope you're wrong. What happened to picking the best team possible? Thanks a lot Mario...hopefully if Lemieux did demand this Gretz shafts him in the end..Lemieux has no business telling management who will be on the team.

Staal is bigger, stronger, better offensively right now, better defensively, better goal scorer, more mature....how can you justify taking Crosby ahead of him? I know I'd be pretty angry if I were Staal.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Flyguy_1ca said:
I feel you're right...but I sure hope you're wrong. What happened to picking the best team possible? Thanks a lot Mario...hopefully if Lemieux did demand this Gretz shafts him in the end..Lemieux has no business telling management who will be on the team.

Staal is bigger, stronger, better offensively right now, better defensively, better goal scorer, more mature....how can you justify taking Crosby ahead of him? I know I'd be pretty angry if I were Staal.

Spezza and Mario are buddies I belive.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The Albino said:
It'd be a shame if Kariya didn't make this team. He's done so much for hockey Canada and he truly lives to play for his country. Not to mention his style of play is tailor-made for the Olympics.

I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't make the team, but I also wouldn't be very surprised.

Totally agree with Kariya. It seems like it isn't cool to pick him anymore, and he is being passed over by "flavour of the month" type players, who haven't really proved as much over their careers as Kariya.

I've seen Nashville's highlights from this season, and Kariya seems very influential on their team, in setting up plays and creating chances. His style is completely conducive to the Olympic rink and his experience in pressure situations (Gold Medal games in 1994 and 2002) could be useful especially if people (moreso the media than the fans, IMO) continue to question the fact that there is a leadership void.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
The Albino said:

Absolutely. Certain people have obviously played their way off the team this season, here's the epitome of a guy who's played his way onto the team.

Year of the Shark!!!

Oct 25, 2005
Has Marleau really slipped thet much that he's been only mentioned once so far in this thread. He's been playing stellar hockey before the Thornton trade and even better now.

This season Marleau is playing better then Bertuzzi, Draper, St. Louis , and Doan. I think he deserves a very long look for team Canada and deserves a spot ahead of Crosby, Staal, and Spezza. Out of those three, only Staal has an all-around game mostly developed. Spezza and Crosby still need to develop theirs. Just my opinion.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
Staal>Spezza>Crosby for this Olympics, but that's not likely the way it will shake out.

I think it will be a shame if Eric Staal isn't on the team. He can play on any line and would be effective in any role.

wildone26*

sveiglar said:
Staal>Spezza>Crosby for this Olympics, but that's not likely the way it will shake out.

I think it will be a shame if Eric Staal isn't on the team. He can play on any line and would be effective in any role.

I agree. It is shame if Staal was overlooked since he is a much better all around player than either Spezza or Crosby. Your order is the right one if the team was based on merit, but sadly that is not the case these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->