Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
Jason Spezza is the best offensive player on this team. It'll be ridiculous if he isn't selected. But, I guess he's too much of a "kid". :banghead:

I posted this elsewhere, but do you guys remember back in 2002 when Gretzky was asked if Iginla would make the team? He responded by saying (something to the effect of), "How could you possibly leave the NHL's leading scorer off Team Canada?" It's funny how 4 years later, Gretzky is having a tough time trying to answer his own question.

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
I understand that people are down on Draper and Jovanovski, and that there's a debate about Bertuzzi, Doan, and Smyth. But I can't figure out why St. Louis is such a lock. He hasn't been that great this year, and he's only had one really good year. IMO, he should be as much as a bubble guy as everyone else mentioned so far.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Gretzky when he played wasn't exactly a defensive wizard ether, and he is the greatest player ever. If Spezza doesn't make the team and is leading (or very close) to leading the league in scoring then somthing is wrong. Gretzky probobly wouldn't even pick himself for this team. :shakehead

gbl1p

Jun 19, 2003
Ottawa
www.level1productions.com
Doomsday Device said:
Jason Spezza is the best offensive player on this team. It'll be ridiculous if he isn't selected. But, I guess he's too much of a "kid". :banghead:

As a Sens fan I see Spezza play a few times a week, and have been watching him for all his years with the team. While Ottawa's success is largely because Spezza is certainly coming out of his shell and becoming that 1st line Center we've needed, I do indeed still have a few bones to pick with his play. Not the least of which is the fact that he is lackadaisical too often for comfort. More often than not I question his 'killer instict', as he all too much looks for a ridiculous low percentage play instead of shooting opportunity or a more rudimentary opportunity. I find this to be a sign of immaturity of sort, and will continue to stand by and wait to see if his game can change to adapt to an intense atmosphere. I guess I just get turned off by a seemingly lack of effort or a real 'killer instict'.

To be honest, I think the young guy who should get the spot is Crosby. Both Crosby and Spezza are some of the best playmakers in the entire world, but I think you'll get a more sincere effort out of Crosby. His skating alone sets him apart, couple that with his tenacity and hockey sense and he's as versatile a young guy as you can find to plug into this team.

Edit: With Lemieux and Yzerman both out, I would be thrilled to see both Spezza and Crosby take their places. I do really think that both deserve a spot. My points above referred to a scenario where only 1 spot was available to the proposed 3 young guys.

Last edited:

Redden Punches Faces*

davedave said:
I understand that people are down on Draper and Jovanovski, and that there's a debate about Bertuzzi, Doan, and Smyth. But I can't figure out why St. Louis is such a lock. He hasn't been that great this year, and he's only had one really good year. IMO, he should be as much as a bubble guy as everyone else mentioned so far.
AMEN

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
NewGuy said:
It's funny how Luongo gets a free pass when he has looked bad the past month and horrible the past week. I can't understand why he is such a lock for the team.

Brodeur atleast has some semblance of a team infront of him, and he has struggled miserably this season. You have to keep in mind, that behind the type of team that Canada will ice, that the quality goaltendes of the past few years, will be fine. The players on the other hand are subject to a whole different type of scrutiny. I for one, think that Canada bending over backward to have Bertuzzi on the team was a big mistake. I think he should have been suspended into this season, and that he got off way too easy. That aside, he has not played well at all. A guy with his size, skating ability and soft hands, should be way ahead of where he is so far this season. Also, if they feel Draper hasn't played well enough to make the team, then Smyth is a no brainer, and then I look at a MIke Fisher or John Madden...

I think looking at how a guy has been playing is important, but keep in mind there will be input from Gretzky, and the executives to Quinn and the coaching staff, and seeing the success that they've had in the '02 Olympics, and then the World Cup, I think that how secure and confident the coaching staff feels with guys who have been there before, may go a long way in building this team. Yzerman, and Lemieux pulling out, it opens up some spots for the young guys, and I now see two of Spezza, Staal, and Crosby on the final roster in Turin.

joe_shannon_1983*

An interesting comment was made on Sportsnet a day or so ago.

This comment stated that Lemieux and Yzerman pulling out makes it LESS LIKELY that Crosby, Spezza, and Staal are on the team.

Canada is MORE LIKELY now to take veteran players like Draper, Doan, etc. to fill the leadership void created by the loss of Lemieux and Yzerman.

So perhaps the best way for guys like Crosby, Spezza, and Staal to make the team would have been Lemieux and/or Yzerman also playing on the team?

I am not saying that I agree 100% with this. I honestly don't even want to try to figure out what is going through Gretzky's head. But what I have wrote is something to possibly think about and consider.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Gagne (asked to be C)-Sakic(C)-Iginla(C)
Richards-Lecavalier(A)-St. Louis
Smyth (A)-Spezza-Heatley
Draper-Thornton(was C)-Doan(C)
Staal

Neidermyer(C)-Foote(C)
Blake (A)-Redden(A)
Pronger (was C)-Regehr(A)

Looks like plenty of leadership to me. Plus these leaders arn't slow and old.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
gbl1p said:
As a Sens fan I see Spezza play a few times a week, and have been watching him for all his years with the team. While Ottawa's success is largely because Spezza is certainly coming out of his shell and becoming that 1st line Center we've needed, I do indeed still have a few bones to pick with his play. Not the least of which is the fact that he is lackadaisical too often for comfort. More often than not I question his 'killer instict', as he all too much looks for a ridiculous low percentage play instead of shooting opportunity or a more rudimentary opportunity. I find this to be a sign of immaturity of sort, and will continue to stand by and wait to see if his game can change to adapt to an intense atmosphere. I guess I just get turned off by a seemingly lack of effort or a real 'killer instict'.

To be honest, I think the young guy who should get the spot is Crosby. Both Crosby and Spezza are some of the best playmakers in the entire world, but I think you'll get a more sincere effort out of Crosby. His skating alone sets him apart, couple that with his tenacity and hockey sense and he's as versatile a young guy as you can find to plug into this team.

Edit: With Lemieux and Yzerman both out, I would be thrilled to see both Spezza and Crosby take their places. I do really think that both deserve a spot. My points above referred to a scenario where only 1 spot was available to the proposed 3 young guys.

As a non Senator fan, I really like what I see from Spezza. That being said, I think your assessment is bang-on, and I would agree that both deserve to be there. What is not being talked enough about in my opinion, is Eric Staal. All three are excellent young talents and will insure that Canada's next crop of players won't miss a beat. I think that with Yzerman and Lemieux out, that Crosby is a lock, and that Spezza has the inside track over Staal, simply because Heatley will definitely be there and the magic they create is undeniable. I do however feel that , Staal is a more versatile player and uses his size much better than Spezza.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
World Junior Championship - WJC U20
Discuss International Tournaments like the WJC, Olympics, and World Cup, as they take place, or discuss past tournaments. performances.

see

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
2_kovalev_7 said:
Am I the only one here able to read

WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP WJC U20???

Why are your talkin' about team Canada for the Olympics?

Relax. They just renamed the International hockey forum into this for the WJC.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Spezza should be on the team and play with Heater on a line. The chemistry is already there with those 2 and that could be vital in a tournament like the Olympics.

IcedTea

Sep 29, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:
I posted this elsewhere, but do you guys remember back in 2002 when Gretzky was asked if Iginla would make the team? He responded by saying (something to the effect of), "How could you possibly leave the NHL's leading scorer off Team Canada?" It's funny how 4 years later, Gretzky is having a tough time trying to answer his own question.
How could you leave the NHL's leading scorer off of Team Canada? Simple. Jagr isn't Canadian.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
Bertuzzi ahead of Smyth? This is a joke right?

Smyth's clearly been the better player this season and is big for Canada in international tournaments. I agree that St. Louis should be on the bubble.

If I had to pick between Crosby, Staal and Spezza, I would choose Crosby. Spezza looks disinterested and uncommitted too much for my taste. I just haven't seen Staal play enough. Crosby is a fiesty and knows where the open space is. Although, I would be comfortable if none of them made it. They still have many opportunities to play for Canada in the future.

I also think Phaneuf should make the 7th defenceman but I would understand if he wasn't chosen for the same reasons as above.

AgentNaslund*

Did anyone See the Senators Canucks game last night? yes i will amit, some nights Bert doesent show up, but when he does like he did last night, he can easily make team Canada.

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
AgentNaslund said:
Did anyone See the Senators Canucks game last night? yes i will amit, some nights Bert doesent show up, but when he does like he did last night, he can easily make team Canada.
If you call that showing up then there's no way he should be on the team. He was inconsistent and lethargic last night.

Did he even have a point?

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
My squad:

Heatley Thornton Marleau
Richards Lecavalier Bertuzzi
Gagne Sakic Iginla
Smyth Draper Doan
Crosby

Blake Pronger
Neidermeyer Regehr
Redden Jovanovski
Foote

Brodeur
Joseph
Luongo

NewGuy

Jun 29, 2002
I can't believe that Kris Draper could go, he hardly stands out from the crowd this season. Honestly, how bad do you have to be before you lose your spot?

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Ronald Pagan said:
If you call that showing up then there's no way he should be on the team. He was inconsistent and lethargic last night.

Did he even have a point?
yes he did.

:)

Lethargic was something he was NOT last night. He was showing great strength down low, and soft hands. Flashes of Bert old.

I am torn on whether he deserves it, but I would bet on him making the team. Gretzky really likes the style of game he plays.

Transported Upstater

slats432 said:
As an Oiler fan it sounds biased...but Ryan Smyth is Captain Canada and should go.

I think Spezza over Crosby.

My team Canada is..

Gagne Sakic Iginla
Richards Lecavalier St. Louis
Nash Spezza Heatley
Smyth Thornton Bertuzzi
Draper or Morrow

Niedermayer Pronger
Blake Foote
Regher Redden
McCabe(And I hate the Leafs ;) )

Brodeur
Luongo
Joseph

The Gagne-Sakic-Iginla line should not be altered in any way; that line is a force.

Although I'm not so sure about Morrow...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Oilerfan120582 said:
I think Doan is ahead of Smyth exclusively because Gretzky coaches Phoenix.

That would be a lazy assumption. Gretzky has already showed he wont favor Phoenix players by excluding Sean Burke in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->