Bob Hartley: Will he ever get back to the NHL?

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Reactions: Comrade Blunderbore

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never say never, but I don't think so. I didn't think he'd ever be back in the NHL again as a head coach after the Thrashers fired him though.

He always sucked. He coached a cup winner? Yeah, Hartley was about as integral part of the Avalanche's success as Patrick Roy and Joe Sakic and Ray Bourque and Rob Blake. Won't count Peter Forsberg, as he was injured during those playoffs, but he was just another key piece on that team. Hartley inherited as a powerhouse for his first NHL head coaching job and a team that had been in at least the Conference Finals for 2 of the 3 prior seasons and a cup win in one of them?

He's a pretty fascinating story of how he got to the NHL and a real feel good story at that. Working on an assembly line making windshields (if I recall correctly), but I don't think he's for the NHL.

Hartley seems very endearing when you listen to interviews but seeing some players' accounts of his actions as coach makes me doubt he could stick around with a team for longer than 2 years and have success.

Rumor has it that he was heavily disliked by a lot of the Flames players at the time he was let go.
Bobby Holik had him in Atlanta and wound up trashing him publicly years later, as a coach that didn't know what he was doing. He talked about it on a podcast he used to do. And that a team wouldn't have success with him again as a head coach. The Flames made the playoffs with him once as a head coach, but that was it. He was fired only a year later.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He'd be better than these Housley or Boughner or Desjardins types for sure but at the same time, have some ambition and go outside the NHL country club to find your next coach. There have to be better options in the AHL and College imo.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
And Roy won it the year before and Maclean the year before that and Hitch the year before that and Bylsma the year before that.

It's as if that trophy doesn't mean all that much

You might want to rethink that approach.

The trophy is based on the year, not a coaches entire career.

Sergei Samsonov, Steve Mason, and Andrew Raycroft have won The Calder.

Does The Calder not mean much either?

Jonathan Cheechoo won the Rocket in 2006.

Again, does that diminish the meaning of the trophy?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You might want to rethink that approach.

The trophy is based on the year, not a coaches entire career.

Sergei Samsonov, Steve Mason, and Andrew Raycroft have won The Calder.

Does The Calder not mean much either?

Jonathan Cheechoo won the Rocket in 2006.

Again, does that diminish the meaning of the trophy?
Probably doesn't' diminish the trophy. However, winning a trophy doesn't mean you are a good candidate based on one year success 4 years ago.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Yeah look at all the success he's had since his Cup! So much!

If he had so much success he wouldn't even be in the KHL right now, guy.

The guy won the Jack Adams in 14/15. He was also the only coach to ever take the Atlanta Thrashers to the post season.

A young team at the beginning of a rebuild should feel no apprehension about bringing him in.

He just can't stay around passed 3 years.

magnificent

Jul 6, 2016
Bob Hartley is now coaching the team that I've been a fan since my early childhood. We're now in the finals and ready to win the Gagarin Cup. I wish.
Avangard out played all their opponents. Didn't even give a chance to them. (4-0 with the defending champion in the first round, then 4-1 and 4-2 series).
The team is playing a very entertaining hockey. It's fast, with lots of shots from all the positions (many not dangerous, though), 5 in offense, 5 in defense, deep forecheck.
Bob is always respectful to journalists, players, coaches. Loves to talk. Players respect him too. They often say that he always pays attention to details.

We're happy that he's our coach. I'm pretty sure that if we didn't have Hartley, we wouldn't see the finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad