Bob Goodenow on CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovo Cop

Goodenow on CBC

Man after watching this guy on CBC i feel like i need a shower .He made me feel guilty for high ticket prices because i bought tickets to a game .I actually spit coffee out when he said that HIGH ticket prices have NOTHING to do with player salaries .Its our fault because we BUY the tickets ....dammit ..so if we all quit buying tickets the price will come down .
OK that worked well in Winnipeg ,Quebec ,Kansas City ,Atlanta the first time ,Colorado the first time ,Cleveland ,Oakland and Hartford.
Man this is never gonna end!!!

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Just finished watching Bob Goodenow on the NAtional on CBC. He got asked some pretty harsh questions by the fans and basically responded with the same thing everytime:
1) The owners locked the players out
2) The owners are unwilling to talk about anything but a salary cap
3) They think a free market is the best thing for all parties involved :shakehead

What I found kind of funny is that Goodenow repeatedly said that "the owners know their business better than anyone". Yes they do Bob, and the want a CAP!!!!!

All together I think it was a pretty weak performance as he had pretty much the same answer for every question asked. I was surprised that he said almost nothing about the numbers given by the owners. He basically said that he takes issue with some of the numbers, but that the business of hockey is so intricate and dynamic that it is hard to get a good feel for the finances.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Goodenow speaks to CBC

OK, I just watched the interview with Bob Gooodenow by Peter Mansbridge,... the open question face-to-face sponsored by CBC...

after watching it, I can say without certainty: the Union is completely to blame for the lockout...

how can I say this? Well, how about the following statements made by Goodenow, leader of the Union:

When asked why the players wont take a cap when its successful in 2 other leagues, including the NFL he said the following:: "No NFL player is happy with the economic system of the NFL"... the most lucrative league for players on EARTH and Bob thinks they arent happy? Regular joes make millions in the NFL...theres money coming out the wazoo.. practice squad guys make nearly 250K a year. and they arent happy in the NFL, the most successful league on the planet?
What is the colour of the SKY on Bob's world, because it sure aint Blue.

On the business of the NHL-- "The NHL is stronger competively than the NBA"

When he said that, I nearly fell off the chair. If he REALLY believes this, than what Gary Bettman said about the Union & the League "not speaking the same language" is completely right... to think that the NHL, that just signed the worst TV deal in league history, lost its 'Top 4' billing to NASCAR and is losing gobs of money is more competitve to the #3 sport in North America is just pain stupid.

After watching that, and watching Gary the night before, there is just noway that anyone.. ANYONE who has 1/4 a brain, can be for the players. At all. To say those idiotic statements... I dont care how much youre for the NHLPA.... after watching Bob talk it is CRYSTAL CLEAR that it is greed greed greed on the part of the NHLPA.

THe Owners made this mess... but NOW theyre trying to fix it the HARD WAY and the RIGHT WAY, and the NHLPA is just trying to keep the status quo.... I hope people watch that CBC thing with Bob if they replay it... anyone who is for the players will feel like a big fat dolt for sticking up for those greedy players.

Break the Union, NHL. Break it good and take Mr. "I have no clue what the real status of the NHL is" Bob Goodenow with it.

Vic Rattlehead*

Goodenow is lame. Yesterday was the first time that I have agreed with what Bettman said in a while. The union clearly doesn't see the point int his mess.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
HOLY CRAP! I missed the early part where Bob just said the following:

"There is no correlation between higher Ticket prices and players salaries" ?!?!?!?

No, Im not lying... .he said that.

Goodenow truly is out of touch with reality.

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
On a lighter note, it was pretty funny when that guys said "please get this resolved because I don`t want to be watching trading spaces on saturday nite" :hockey:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
SerbianEagle said:
it will end. I believe the players will see what an idiot goodenow is, and will vote him out. Afterall, 1.3 is better than 500k - 1m elsewhere.
did you hear steve shutt today? - find the guy that has the levitt link - read it -

if the players give in - they will lose everything they fought for -

i can't believe you people don't see the obvious - and the reason why wayne and merry-o can't say anything - the million dollar gag order -

SerbianEagle

Nov 28, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The players have no way of winning this. If it goes on for a year, NHL will declare an impasse. Look at what Goodenow is saying, he is being blind to obvious stuff. Owners are commited this time, players have no chance whatsoever of coming out as winners.

If they want to play and get paid they will have to accept the terms, otherwise nice knowing ya, there are those that will play

YellHockey*

no13matssundin said:
HOLY CRAP! I missed the early part where Bob just said the following:

"There is no correlation between higher Ticket prices and players salaries" ?!?!?!?

No, Im not lying... .he said that.

Goodenow truly is out of touch with reality.

Not really. Indirectly higher ticket prices lead to higher salaries but the converse is not at all true. Ticket prices are not based upon player salaries and anyone with any knowledge of economics will tell you the same.

Or do you think that tickets to the NCAA basketball final four would be more expensive if the athletes were paid?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Is Goodenow really that much of a flake? Awful.

"Because we don't want to" is no reason not to accept a cap, especially when that's his best answer.

If this didn't clue people in to the fact that Goodenow doesn't give a flying rat's ass about the fans, nothing will.

Last edited:

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
BlackRedGold said:
Not really. Indirectly higher ticket prices lead to higher salaries but the converse is not at all true. Ticket prices are not based upon player salaries and anyone with any knowledge of economics will tell you the same.

Or do you think that tickets to the NCAA basketball final four would be more expensive if the athletes were paid?

Point taken, but it does in fact work both ways. Higher salaries leads to the owners needing more revenue to shell out to the players, thus higher ticket prices. The use of college sports is a horrible example, as the ticket prices go to the school, which in turn pays for the kids scholarships as well as many other school funds.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
BlackRedGold said:

So if a team's losing money because their payroll is too high, they won't maybe raise ticket price to lower the loss?

YellHockey*

Seachd said:
So if a team's losing money because their payroll is too high, they won't maybe raise ticket price to lower the loss?

If they could bring in more revenue by raising ticket prices, why wouldn't they do it regardless of whether they were losing money or making money? They either lose less money or make more money, both are preferable outcomes.

YellHockey*

Enoch said:
Point taken, but it does in fact work both ways. Higher salaries leads to the owners needing more revenue to shell out to the players, thus higher ticket prices. The use of college sports is a horrible example, as the ticket prices go to the school, which in turn pays for the kids scholarships as well as many other school funds.

It's all about maximizing revenue.

If you are maximizing revenue, you'll bring in less money if you raise or lower ticket prices. Players salaries are irrelevant in maximizing revenues.

College sports is an excellent example. It's run like a business with volunteer players and it still charges lots for tickets for games that are in high demand.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
BlackRedGold said:

If you are maximizing revenue, you'll bring in less money if you raise or lower ticket prices. Players salaries are irrelevant in maximizing revenues.

College sports is an excellent example. It's run like a business with volunteer players and it still charges lots for tickets for games that are in high demand.

Which is precisely why College sports are a poor example. They don't have to pay anyone other than the coaches, and this allows them to make almost pure profit (lets be honest scholarships are a drop in the pond for the amount of revenue teams like Georgia, UT, etc. can pull in on one football game). When player salaries become involved, it becomes much more difficult to maintain a pure buisness like approach (i.e. turn a profit), and you start looking for new ways to increase revenue to allow you to field the best team (which hopefully spurs interest)....More often than not, this search leads to higher ticket prices.

Last edited:

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:

Or minimizing loss.

We are not saying that ticket prices and salaries have a perect and direct correlation, but anyone with any type of common sense would agree that there is a loose relationship between player salaries and ticket prices (except for Bobby boy who says there is absolutely no relationship at all). I am actually surprised how people can try to defend the pathetic spectacle Goodenow put on this evening.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Chelios said:
Or minimizing loss.

We are not saying that ticket prices and salaries have a perect and direct correlation, but anyone with any type of common sense would agree that there is a loose relationship between player salaries and ticket prices (except for Bobby boy who says there is absolutely no relationship at all). I am actually surprised how people can try to defend the pathetic spectacle Goodenow put on this evening.
you people don't get it - the nhlpa hates bettman and the owners so much - they don't care if they play in the nhl again - the status quo has made their dough - and how do you explain why pronger and forsberg got their offers before the cba expired =

Last edited:

jpsharkfan

Jun 10, 2004
mr gib said:
you people don't get it - the nhlpa hates bettman and the owners so much - they don't care if they play in the nhl again - the status quo has made their dough -

Do you really believe that?

You bet your bottom dollor they care, or actually their bottom dollor!

The NHLPA and its members should love Bettman and the Owners as they have made them all very very wealthy.

It is us, the fans who should be angry with Bettman and the Owners as they are to blame for letting the NHL's finances get to this ugly place that cannot be fixed without drastic measures. At least Bettman and the Owners have the courage to admit that they created this situation......unlike the players and the NHLPA who's answers would not be acceptable from a 5 year old. "Its not my fault, I did not cause the problem."

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The main point I got out of watching both sides of the equation last night and tonight is that neither side gives a flying crap about the fans. The fans are the ones that bring in your revenue, pay the players salaries (and yes there is a direct relation with that, because without gate sales the owners wouldn't have any way of paying them), the ones who buy the merchandise, who paint their rooms in NHL colours, the ones who pay $200 a season for Centre (er) Ice, and the ones that live and breathe with their team. Win the fan is happy, Lose and the fan is miserable. The NHLPA, the owners, the league, Mr. Buttmunch, and Mr. Goodenow don't seem to get it. The fans are the reasons why the NHL has survived all these years, it's not the players. If either side gave a crap about the fans, they'd be in negotations right now, and not waiting until flipping December.

This is my letter to the Players:

To the Players of the National Hockey League:

I, as a fan, am completely disgusted by how selfish you, the players, are being through the meetings with the NHL, and now two days into the lockout. Do you realize that there are people in this world that cannot even afford to buy food? And here you all are, making millions of dollars for three quarters of the year, and you are complaining that you all need more. You are all selfish. I never realized it until the meetings began. The players of the National Hockey League, who supposedly love playing hockey, only care about making money. The words of Trevor Linden, the president of the NHLPA, on MOJO radio in Vancouver yesterday morning were unbelievable. I know he has a job to do as the NHLPA president, but when someone says that the fans have a choice to pay loads of money for a hockey ticket is an absolute joke. We as fans want to see the best players in the world, not a bunch of whiny spoiled rich babies. We do not choose to pay, sometimes, hundreds of dollars for one game of hockey, we do it so we can support our favourite team. We do pay your salaries whether you like it or not, and that is why prices of tickets are so high in the NHL; it is because of you, the players and your egotistical ways with your contracts. Even if I were in university and had no money, I would put myself in debt to see my Canucks play. Players in this league do not seem to be grateful for people that do that, not all fans have the money to pay to see you play. We are the reason why this league has survived, and you are the ones that have to change.

What I do not get, as a fan, is how you do not agree with anything to help out the league. Why is that? Are you all that dense? You have to agree to lower salaries to get this league back to a successful one, otherwise it is going to flutter and die. That happens, and you all end up with no jobs. You will not even look at what the league has proposed because you think it is a salary cap, well, you know what? The league does need one. With a salary cap the league will become economically stable again. I was watching my local news this morning, and Tom Canada of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers (for those of you that do not know, that is a Canadian Football League team) was asked what he thinks of the lockout in the NHL, and he said that the players should try living on CFL player salaries. He is completely right, they have to have winter jobs just to keep food on the table; I do not hear of any NHL player that has to do that during the off-season.

It is time for the players to put their egos aside, and allow the owners of every NHL club to recover from you whom have been beyond greedy. Do not reject the NHL right away when they suggest a solution; work together with them to come to a good solution for both sides. You are the ones that are going to have to budge, because I believe that the owners will not make the same mistake they did ten years ago. You got your money the last ten years, and you are the ones that are bankrupting the league. Take pay cuts, it should not matter to you because you still make more money than eighty percent of any normal middle class citizen. You are selfish, and you are the ones that will have to change. You are the ones that will end up agreeing to what the owners want, not like 10 years ago when it was the players getting what they wanted. It is time to see the NHL thrive again financially, and the only way for that to happen is if you all take pay cuts to help the league achieve this.

It is up to you; you must make the right decision here, and you all know what the right one is.

We, as fans, should strike on the players when they come back and play. No one is thinking about us, and they damn well should be. It's not just about the financial structure of the league, it is about keeping the fans of the game.

Last edited:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
jpsharkfan said:
Do you really believe that?

You bet your bottom dollor they care, or actually their bottom dollor!

The NHLPA and its members should love Bettman and the Owners as they have made them all very very wealthy.

It is us, the fans who should be angry with Bettman and the Owners as they are to blame for letting the NHL's finances get to this ugly place that cannot be fixed without drastic measures. At least Bettman and the Owners have the courage to admit that they created this situation......unlike the players and the NHLPA who's answers would not be acceptable from a 5 year old. "Its not my fault, I did not cause the problem."
150 nhlers playing in europe right now - the cbc show had a good point though - from a sheer animosity level - there may be hockey this year - cause in the playoffs the owners get paid - they will split 100 mil - the players get a small bonus for each round won -

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->