Bob Cole to retire after calling 10 games in 2019 (update-16 games, last Habs-Leafs April 6th)

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I hope Rogers can find a way to give him a Leafs/Habs Saturday Nighter for his send off. It would be a fitting end to an illustrious career.

Edit: Just checked, the last Leafs game of the year is vs the Habs on a Saturday night. If Rogers manages to botch this they are truly clueless. I also fully expect them to botch this.
You don't read articles huh?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I grew up on Bob Cole and Harry Neale at HNIC. Tremendous delivery, and I wish him all the best.

I can still hear him saying Dee-TROY-it, during those Red Wings playoff runs...

They were such a phenomenal duo at their peak.

Now Chris Cuthbert is the undisputed best in the business.

Reactions: thewall

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Greatest gift Newfoundland gave to the hockey world. Really awesome to know such a iconic voice in hockey has roots here. Would love to see him do a few growlers games in NL

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
He is a hockey icon. Everybody has to call it a day at some point.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Saddened to hear this. Simply put: Bob Cole was the voice of hockey in Canada for so many years. Few memories of my childhood resonate with that of Hockey Night in Canada. Saturday night was special. Yes, there was no choosing what game to watch (or how to watch it) - but I can't help feeling how that attributed to a more intimate broadcast: all eyes were solely on the matchup(s) that night. His time has come, even his most loyal fans would probably agree, but he should have had the right to end the last few years on his terms.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
Should've happened 10-20 years ago anyway. Boring and overrated. I'll take Thorne or Doc any day of the week.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
"….kadri is stripped of the puck by the montreal player ……skates past reilly……passes it to the canadiens forward who shoots! what a save by anderson.

the puck is in the corner, the montreal player is forechecking….its cleared to center and mathews is on a break!

…oh baby! what a save by the canadiens goalie

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'll miss the voice, but not the incoherence. There's something about those old-timey announcer voices that I love. It just takes me back to listening to Flames games on my radio headphones when I should have been sleeping cause it was a school night.

Appreciate the well wishes.

What's funny is I read all your posts in his voice, so when you post anything with the slightest semblance of emotion, I completely crack up :laugh:

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
I didn't like how biased he was against the Senators (well maybe not biased against but boy oh boy did he not give a **** about learning any of our players' names) but I can't not respect his body of work.

End of an era. Godspeed Mr. Cole.
It's not an Ottawa thing. It's a Bob Cole thing. He botched a lot of players over the years

That said, I haven't watched HNIC in a few years but he has the iconic voice for a generation. Hope he enjoys his retirement

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
legendary voice. time to step away indeed.
but i like Bob Cole and his mistakes.
i never cared he was "cheering" for the other team. i didnt care he called us the SENS!
it was simply fun to listen to the old man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad