Bob Cole to retire after calling 10 games in 2019 (update-16 games, last Habs-Leafs April 6th)

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Good news I think.

There's only so many times you can confuse Bozak with Kadri.

Yes Bob, they have a sinilar number, but that is all

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Whaaaat?! Gord Miller is one of the best!

Gord Miller has done his best to destroy his reputation by being a talk radio host during the off-season. Unfortunately his hot takes are ridiculous and make him look like a complete moron. Dude should stick to what he's good at, play by play.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Everyone is saying that this is way overdue

What’s overdue is a worthy successor coming out of the broadcaster pipeline.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Sad man, I know he's gotten worse to listen to, but he's still my favorite commentator ever.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Never understood all the complaints about Cole anyways....Well I mean I get what they are, but I don't get why it matters. If I were to list the most important things in a quality PBP guy getting every name correct would probably be at the very bottom of the list....Sorry we are not listening to these games on the radio, I can actually see who the players on the ice are myself. So I am not sure why people seem to enjoy a monotone formulaic voice like Hughson that brings zero excitement to the game.....but by god he gets those names right!! Naw I will take the wrong names if it comes with an iconic voice that actually is able to call a game with a sense of the moment.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Cuthbert was the one who should have had the torch handed to him by Bob. Instead we got Hughson and Simpson calling the main games. Gah.

Enjoy retirement Mr. Cole, and complain about the young whippersnappers not doing it the way it should be done, because you will be right.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This dude basically raised me on Saturday nights. He will be missed.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
No, reading is overrated.

But, seriously, that is how he should be sent off. If that isn't, Rogers is tone deaf.
The article states that he'll be doing the 10 games in the first half of the season. They don't mention what games (minus his 1st of 10) but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are in Oct and Nov.
And I'm just guessing, but I'd bet that has a lot to do with winter travel for someone whose 85 years old.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The article states that he'll be doing the 10 games in the first half of the season. They don't mention what games (minus his 1st of 10) but I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are in Oct and Nov.
And I'm just guessing, but I'd bet that has a lot to do with winter travel for someone whose 85 years old.
I checked it out after you pointed it out.

Even if they do the games in the first half, they'd be smart to just give him the Leafs/Habs saturday night which is the last game of the season and is in Montreal. I'm pretty sure he's based out of the GTA, so that shouldn't be hard travel. Just bring him back for one night to do that and give him a proper send off. He shouldn't go out doing a game HNIC has relegated to 3rd or 4th tier status such as Ottawa playing some American team. A guy with his credentials, and what he means to Hockey Night in Canada should go out covering the two iconic Canadian teams that have been the two staples of Hockey Night in Canada.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I checked it out after you pointed it out.

Even if they do the games in the first half, they'd be smart to just give him the Leafs/Habs saturday night which is the last game of the season and is in Montreal. I'm pretty sure he's based out of the GTA, so that shouldn't be hard travel. Just bring him back for one night to do that and give him a proper send off. He shouldn't go out doing a game HNIC has relegated to 3rd or 4th tier status such as Ottawa playing some American team. A guy with his credentials, and what he means to Hockey Night in Canada should go out covering the two iconic Canadian teams that have been the two staples of Hockey Night in Canada.

I'm going to disagree... I don't care if Cole is getting the 3rd game on a HNIC in November as his final game, I do get the sentiment of having him do an Original Six game that matters, but he's also 85 years old. I think there should always be a preserving the legacy.

I know it's not the same, but my lasting memory of Gordie Howe is him not knowing where to stop on the carpet at the Centennial Classic. I feel the same whenever they walk Ted Lindsay out to do, anything.

If Bob Cole has a rough time calling the Habs/Sabres in November as his last game, it's a missed moment, and the highlights will point to his few good calls for that game. If it's national Habs/Leafs and he butchers the whole game there's a whole younger generation that will question who the idiot in the booth was. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I can see him doing his 10 games quietly and then having a Bob Cole Night after the All-Star break where he calls a period or something.

I don't need him to finish the season in order for me to remember him as the best broadcaster of his time.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm going to disagree... I don't care if Cole is getting the 3rd game on a HNIC in November as his final game, I do get the sentiment of having him do an Original Six game that matters, but he's also 85 years old. I think there should always be a preserving the legacy.

I know it's not the same, but my lasting memory of Gordie Howe is him not knowing where to stop on the carpet at the Centennial Classic. I feel the same whenever they walk Ted Lindsay out to do, anything.

If Bob Cole has a rough time calling the Habs/Sabres in November as his last game, it's a missed moment, and the highlights will point to his few good calls for that game. If it's national Habs/Leafs and he butchers the whole game there's a whole younger generation that will question who the idiot in the booth was. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying I can see him doing his 10 games quietly and then having a Bob Cole Night after the All-Star break where he calls a period or something.

I don't need him to finish the season in order for me to remember him as the best broadcaster of his time.
I think for the 9 or so games that's fine. But, I think he deserves a Leafs game to go out on. The Habs would just be the most fitting opponent.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ll miss his call of the Sundin to Sundin to Sundin goals when Mats played for the Canucks. :laugh:
He was one of a kind though. But then I also grew up with Danny Gallivan who was my all time favourite. They don’t make it like them anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->