Bob Cole to retire after calling 10 games in 2019 (update-16 games, last Habs-Leafs April 6th)

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
about time indeed. I applaud him working so late into his twilight but dear god man he was losing it the last 3-4 years.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Unfortunately, he is getting to the age where it really is time to hang 'em up. It'll be sad, but the guy is in his mid-80s now?

The saddest thing, is that Sportsnet have done an absolutely horrific job of finding any sort of good broadcaster voices to carry the torch. Bob Cole has been getting extremely old and on the road to retirement for a while now, and yet in that time...Sportsnet have mostly managed to an uncover a series of increasingly terrible successors.

Bob Cole is one of the guys i grew up with, and to me...that's hockey play by play. It's about storytelling, not listing off who just touched the puck and trying to manufacture drama where there is none. Especially now, in the era of ultra HD television broadcasting making that element clearer than ever before. Listening to Bob Cole call a game, you probably won't get the most accurate and detailed information...but you'll get someone with his finger on the pulse of the building and the momentum of a game. It just ads a layer of depth to what you can already see with your own two eyes.

Seems to be a dying breed. I'm going to miss it.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Man I hope they give him a Montreal, Toronto game on a Saturday.

All the announcers these days as monotone AF, there is no passion. Not the case with Bob Cole!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Unfortunately, he is getting to the age where it really is time to hang 'em up. It'll be sad, but the guy is in his mid-80s now?

The saddest thing, is that Sportsnet have done an absolutely horrific job of finding any sort of good broadcaster voices to carry the torch. Bob Cole has been getting extremely old and on the road to retirement for a while now, and yet in that time...Sportsnet have mostly managed to an uncover a series of increasingly terrible successors.

Bob Cole is one of the guys i grew up with, and to me...that's hockey play by play. It's about storytelling, not listing off who just touched the puck and trying to manufacture drama where there is none. Especially now, in the era of ultra HD television broadcasting making that element clearer than ever before. Listening to Bob Cole call a game, you probably won't get the most accurate and detailed information...but you'll get someone with his finger on the pulse of the building and the momentum of a game. It just ads a layer of depth to what you can already see with your own two eyes.

Seems to be a dying breed. I'm going to miss it.

U don't like someone yelling "driiiiiiiiive" every time they take a slap shop? Or just screaming whenever something gets intense?

Whats wrong with you? ;)

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
about time indeed. I applaud him working so late into his twilight but dear god man he was losing it the last 3-4 years.

People were talking about him losing it in the 90s.

I enjoyed his calls though. He was the best in the business for capturing the drama, and excitement when it presented itself. He also had the best voice in the business.

I'm going to miss him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad