Bob Cole (instead of Foster Hewitt) Calls Paul Henderson's Goal of Century:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Hey Boomers, this may seriously rewire your brains:

When "Henderson made a wild stab for it and fell!" becomes
"Henderson was upended as he tried to shoot it!"

Here's what those many dozens of Canadians were hearing on the radio 46 years ago today, while the rest of us watched TV! God Bless Bob Cole!

The same footage from Foster Hewitt's classic call follows below...

And here's the one we all know ...

...Funny that Bob Cole mentioned the Goal of Century being Henderson's 3rd straight game-winner. I had just looked into that a few days before Cole announced his retirement on Sept 25. Based on his NHL totals, it would appear that Paul Henderson could be expected to score a third straight game-winning goal about once every 5,600 games or about every 70 seasons. Here, if interested.

Last edited:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Thanks all. I will edit the OP to add the Hewitt Call to the same video underlay, so both follow the same visual.

It's pretty cool, how the Hewitt Conacher call jives with Cole's!

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Interesting

I understand Hewitt is like the patron saint of Canadian hockey broadcasters but I never liked his voice. Too high pitched and nasal. Cole at his best was great

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for this. Cole's not what he once was but he still had a good run. For my money one of the best hockey play by play guys ever.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Interesting

I understand Hewitt is like the patron saint of Canadian hockey broadcasters but I never liked his voice. Too high pitched and nasal. Cole at his best was great

He had a monopoly on the job and was able to squeeze his son Bill in later on. According to legend, Bill was a play by play announcer as per his father and took over the Leafs broadcasts. Bill had a nervous breakdown on the air during a pre season game. I don't really recall either one of them myself, Foster was before my time.

The Foster Hewitt story could easily be a thread of it's own. Worth googling the story of the Hewitts'.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
He had a monopoly on the job and was able to squeeze his son Bill in later on. According to legend, Bill was a play by play announcer as per his father and took over the Leafs broadcasts. Bill had a nervous breakdown on the air during a pre season game. I don't really recall either one of them myself, Foster was before my time.

The Foster Hewitt story could easily be a thread of it's own. Worth googling the story of the Hewitts'.

Wow had no idea the breakdown happened on the air. Kind of curious if it was recorded?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Wow had no idea the breakdown happened on the air. Kind of curious if it was recorded?

Not even a transcript as far as I can tell. There isn't alot of info on the breakdown, many of the broadcasts were taped over anyway I believe and I am sure those in charge and knew him and his Dad for years were not about to release any of it. Different sensibilities back then. Any refence I have seen seems pretty vague.

I'm sure there are others on these boards who know the Hewitt history far better then me, quite a story.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Foster's Shadow: The On-Air Meltdown of Bill Hewitt by Kliph Nesteroff
DOUG BEEFORTH: It was apparent very quickly that there was something not quite right because he was misidentifying players.
RALPH MELLANBY: He had [misidentified] everyone on the ice as being [retired players] Doug Harvey to Eddie Shore.
DON WALLACE: We got started and he just didn't... he got all confused. He had no concept of who #22 was. I'm just using that as an example. He should have known that. That's just a routine thing. Everybody brought it to my attention. "What's going on? [He's not announcing] the right guys." So I grabbed Hough. Brought him in. "What do we do, Ted?"

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Doesn't sound like a "nervous breakdown" (is that actually a real thing or just an outdated term). Sounds like he mixed the medication he was on for some other issue with alcohol.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Hey Boomers, this may seriously rewire your brains:

When "Henderson made a wild stab for it and fell!" becomes
"Henderson was upended as he tried to shoot it!"

Here's what those many dozens of Canadians were hearing on the radio 46 years ago today, while the rest of us watched TV! God Bless Bob Cole!

The same footage from Foster Hewitt's classic call follows below...

And here's the one we all know ...

...Funny that Bob Cole mentioned the Goal of Century being Henderson's 3rd straight game-winner. I had just looked into that a few days before Cole announced his retirement on Sept 25. Based on his NHL totals, it would appear that Paul Henderson could be expected to score a third straight game-winning goal about once every 5,600 games or about every 70 seasons. Here, if interested.

Thanks.
Very cool.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Doesn't sound like a "nervous breakdown" (is that actually a real thing or just an outdated term). Sounds like he mixed the medication he was on for some other issue with alcohol.

Not sure of what was behind this, I could only find the barest of descriptions, nervous breakdown was the term used, which was how episodes were characterized back then, 40 yrs ago.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Not sure of what was behind this, I could only find the barest of descriptions, nervous breakdown was the term used, which was how episodes were characterized back then, 40 yrs ago.

I was just going by the information in the link posted by Uncle Rotter above.

Reactions: Tarantula

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Can someone confirm that that was Bill Goldsworthy doing the double fist pump? I think it is. So, so nice to see him there, with his team, in all that joy, after what he had to deal with in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad