Speculation: Bob and Bread combo thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
They will come back to "visit" sometimes. I wonder whether the crowd is going to boo them when they do.

I hope not. They were both great soldiers here and don't deserve that. They both have the right to do what they feel is best for them.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I'd pay Bread $9m/year at 8 years. As Bob goes, he was better than Vasi, but Rask outplayed him.
Well, how much do you realistically pay for a goalie such as Bob in todays UFA market where he’s a top 3 signing. Can’t get him any cheaper IMO. Are we cool with running it with Elvis/Korpi duo? Huge risk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Well, how much do you realistically pay for a goalie such as Bob in todays UFA market where he’s a top 3 signing. Can’t get him any cheaper IMO. Are we cool with running it with Elvis/Korpi duo? Huge risk

I would pay Bob like an elite goalie for 4 year term. But not for 7-8 years.

He proved this year (again) that when he plays well he can carry the team. And he finally proved this year that he can play well in the playoffs. Wasn't always great vs Boston but overall good enough, just can't win when you can't score.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I hope not. They were both great soldiers here and don't deserve that. They both have the right to do what they feel is best for them.

I wouldn't boo them either but the sentiment of the crowd could very well be quite different I guess.

New season will bring new challenges, new excitement and new ups and downs. I wonder what its going to be like without the 9&72.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am not of the midwest mentality. If they leave, eff 'em and boo the heck out of them. Heckle them "Playoff Bob, "Playoff Bob" when he lets in a goal. Panarin I don't know how to heckle I'd just boo him. If they have the right to leave, fans should have the right to boo them when they are on the other side.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I am not of the midwest mentality. If they leave, eff 'em and boo the heck out of them. Heckle them "Playoff Bob, "Playoff Bob" when he lets in a goal. Panarin I don't know how to heckle I'd just boo him. If they have the right to leave, fans should have the right to boo them when they are on the other side.

Thats a great line to be used on any arena if one wants to bring him out of balance I think. And hypothetically it could be very effective as well

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What’s the reason for booing them exactly ? Setting franchise records? Getting the first series win ?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Leaving. I don't want to be their friend any longer.
That makes no sense. Players leave all the time, it’s how they left and how they played for us should determine your attitude towards them.

Do you boo Johansen every time he touches puck? Anisimov, Saad?

Reactions: akmuo33

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
That makes no sense. Players leave all the time, it’s how they left and how they played for us should determine your attitude towards them.

All those guys were traded. You seriously can’t see the difference?

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
What’s the reason for booing them exactly ? Setting franchise records? Getting the first series win ?

While I still wouldn't boo them on any level I think its still quite a complex issue here.

Yes they played very well (I mean overall), yes its their lives and their freedom to leave.

But at the same time its this franchise that had given the chance to Bob to become Bob. He wasnt getting any respect in Philly where he was nobody and was passed to this franchise as a hot potato by them. Its this franchise where Bread was given the chance to cement himself as lets say a top 20-30 forward of the league, although in Bread's case its normal to expect somewhat less loyalty towards CBJ.

Its also this franchise that really needs their services and is surely ready to offer them huge contracts.

And finally: its this franchise which they knew they were screwing by rejecting to negotiate new contracts. The room sentiment must have suffered as a result of this as well.

Personally I think that while most decisions are purely based in business and rationalism, there has to be a degree of this thing called "loyalty" as well. I think that someone who has that in him or in her can truly play with his heart and achieve utter greatness.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I’m paying both Bob and Bread $9m per year if it’s not a long term
Then you're not signing either one. We've been over this ad nauseam. Panarin wants to go to a larger market, New York or Miami. There's little Columbus could do to change that. Bob wants a Carey Price contract and management thinks there are cheaper options out there.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Booing is a personal preference. There is no moral superiority in not booing.

I'm not the booing type. Most of the time. If I were I'd boo Panarin-he is just a booable dude. Bob not so much.

Booing Carter is now de rigueur. It just has to be done:laugh:

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

This team underwent a lot of turmoil in the locker room this season that we will never know the full extent of. In regards to Jarmo's comments, I want people who want to be here. After what we accomplished this season if you don't want to be a part of it I don't want you here. Those guys were important players for what they did for this team and generally how they performed in the playoffs but I think a lot of the regular season struggles were because of them.

If Bob and Panarin want to play an hour from South Beach for small crowds and miss the playoffs every year while they collect their mega dough, they can go right ahead and do so.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This team underwent a lot of turmoil in the locker room this season that we will never know the full extent of. .

I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case.

That Bob had a turnaround and the team didn't fatally schism shows that there were effective forces to counter the turmoil. Torts and the leadership group did a great job in this respect IMO.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case.

That Bob had a turnaround and the team didn't fatally schism shows that there were effective forces to counter the turmoil. Torts and the leadership group did a great job in this respect IMO.

Agreed. It's my guess this was one of Torts' toughest coaching seasons between the Bob and Bread drama, the pressure of going all-in, and the relative youth of the team.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
This team underwent a lot of turmoil in the locker room this season that we will never know the full extent of. In regards to Jarmo's comments, I want people who want to be here. After what we accomplished this season if you don't want to be a part of it I don't want you here. Those guys were important players for what they did for this team and generally how they performed in the playoffs but I think a lot of the regular season struggles were because of them.

If Bob and Panarin want to play an hour from South Beach for small crowds and miss the playoffs every year while they collect their mega dough, they can go right ahead and do so.

I agree they'll play in front of small crowds down in Sunrise, but the Panthers would be scary good with Bob and Bread added to the mix. Their top 6 was awesome as is, they just need a solid backstop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad