Boards Ad changes for national games

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
How do teams decide which of their advertisers have to give up their boards for national games? Whenever NBC has games there are always boards for official league sponsors, such as Enterprise, Honda, Bridgestone, Discover, and Cisco. Viewing highlights of the last Minnesota home game on Friday, companies such as Culver's, Star-Tribune, and Andersen Home Windows have given way for these NHL elite for today's game. Do teams just charge those sponsors less knowing they won't be on national games? It is randomly drawn? Discuss.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
It's probably in the deal when the sponsorships go out.

Toronto for example actually replaces all of its ads for every game. They're just paper stickers, so it varys for every game. For example, they showed Burke skating yesterday morning at the ACC, and there were no ads on the boards.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Oilers use the stick on adds as well and usually change a couple between the 1st and 2nd period. I'm guessing the answer to the OP's question is that there are a number of different levels of sponsorship, which provides different levels of viewing.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks' boards have "paper" ads on the boards. They are replaced/changed as needed.

The Sharks do not have any "video"/LCD boards that change every minute or so. (But they do have two over-entry displays, upper bowl facia ring as well as two rings above/below the main video board that are LCDs that change through the game.)

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Anyone think that in the next few years, we will see electronic advertising on rink boards, much like we see in European football matches:

This way, advertisers can make a bolder statement during the game, while maintaining a distinct, clean look(which isn't very distracting). Rink boards have to have some protective plastic overtop of these digital displays I would imagine, but I am certain the technology is there to make sure that the display can be projected without a glare (like some of the current "fluorescent" digital boards in some rinks, provide)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad