Boarding Penalty Question (NHL)

Fundin

May 11, 2015
Hey, in the USA Hockey casebook, I came across an interesting little nugget.

"Player A1 pushes teammate A2 into an opponent who is thrown against the boards violently enough to warrant a boarding penalty. Which Team A player is assessed the penalty?"

In this, a1 is called for boarding instead of a2 unless a2 does something on his own that might deserve the call.

My question is would the NHL use this approach too, for this kinda play? The rule is worded very specifically​ about a player who 'checks or pushes' an opponent who impacts the boards violently or dangerously the usa hockey rule just says any 'action' that causes an opponent to go violently go into the boards.

They are just different enough to ask.

Harry Goldfarb*

Nov 16, 2016
Why is player A1 pushing his teammate? It's April 1. We don't need ridiculous hypothetical question threads yet.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I don't see why not. Otherwise, how would you handle A1 pushing opponent B1 into a teammate B2?

Harry Goldfarb*

Nov 16, 2016
w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fundin

May 11, 2015
As is the reason why a player is being pushed by his own teammate. The question you're asking can't even be answered without more details.
Is it that hard to figure out? He pushes him to indirectly land a check. Uses him as a sort of battering ram. They could even be working together. I mean, it's all in the question. A1 pushes a2 into team b opponent, who gets boarded. I'm sure an astute NHL ref would pick it out and penalize accordingly.

Fundin

May 11, 2015
Obviously, it's rare, but that's why it's casebook material.

I don't see why the nhl wouldn't enforce this .

Obviously, the intent to use the teammate as a weapon is key. If it's incidental or accidental, which does happen, certainly no penalty results.

But if a player does this blatantly it should be penalized. It's dangerous. Again, they could both be planning it as well.

I don't see why the NHL would be different. It would have to be blatant, certainly not incidental. These things can happen by accident. This scenario is not.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Obviously, it's rare, but that's why it's casebook material.

I don't see why the nhl wouldn't enforce this .

Obviously, the intent to use the teammate as a weapon is key. If it's incidental or accidental, which does happen, certainly no penalty results.

But if a player does this blatantly it should be penalized. It's dangerous. Again, they could both be planning it as well.

I don't see why the NHL would be different. It would have to be blatant, certainly not incidental. These things can happen by accident. This scenario is not.
I've watched hockey my entire life... almost 40yrs old here... and have never seen anything remotely like this case.

I don't think your scenario has EVER happened. First and foremost reason why, is the potential injury of your own teammate.

Fundin

May 11, 2015
I've watched hockey my entire life... almost 40yrs old here... and have never seen anything remotely like this case.

I don't think your scenario has EVER happened. First and foremost reason why, is the potential injury of your own teammate.

I take issue with it "never" happening.

If it's in the official USA Hockey casebook, obviously it has at some point. I'm not going to disagree with you that it's boneheaded and the likelihood of it is at best next to nil, but these reasons were also why I asked.

As with many rules questions I ask, this goes into the "what if" category. What if it did happen? It's probably worthy of a penalty, wouldn't you say?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad