Board-To-Board Mock - The Draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
kingsjohn said:
We should have someone be in charge of this and we should pm him picks. POsting picks in this thread is just going to help the team after us.

An 8 hour window is fine, but we should have had more of a warning before the first pick

Every team until LA has done it democratically with varying success, the whole point of the thread I think is to have the board participate.
As for the 8 hours limit, you had more than enough time to prepare between the time you protected players and the time you picked.
Take a look at threads from the teams who picked for help, I drew up a short list for Ottawa, there's a really big one in the Montreal thread too.

Old Hickory

kingsjohn said:
After conferring with the esteemed draft guru King Elvi.

The LA King's official stance is to boycott this draft
This is still the official stance of the Kings board. Move along

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Just for fun I totaled the records of the top 15 and bottom 15 teams in the draft.

614-380-165-71
446-535-175-74

Guess which is which.

dre

Jan 15, 2004
Thunder Bay
josefbalej picked the order based on goals scored. something a little different, awarding teams that score more goals good picks. i undertsand your point though since higher scoring teams are usually teams that win more games as well. but whats done is done and i am sure that he didnt do as a disrespect to kings fans so instead of pretty much ruining the whole point of the board-to-board draft why not pick a player for the hell of it.

two out of three*

Balej, if I may choose for my close-minded friends here on the Kings board..

With the 18th pick in the draft, the Los Angeles Kings are proud to select from the Atlanta Thrashers, #44 Defenseman Jaraslov Modry.

Press Conference:

Well, we thought that if we could bring back Mo's presence on the blue line it would be a huge boost to our club. Hes a valued asset on the PP, and is cash money with that shot from the hash marks against the grain top shelf. He's reliable in our own end especially in the corners. He gives his opponent a nice hug, and compliments a guy like Matty Norstrom when he goes and takes him out. He really settles the defenseman down back there on the blue, and were proud to select him as the #18th pick.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
TiesRLikeWins4Us said:
Balej, if I may choose for my close-minded friends here on the Kings board..

With the 18th pick in the draft, the Los Angeles Kings are proud to select from the Atlanta Thrashers, #44 Defenseman Jaraslov Modry.

Press Conference:

Well, we thought that if we could bring back Mo's presence on the blue line it would be a huge boost to our club. Hes a valued asset on the PP, and is cash money with that shot from the hash marks against the grain top shelf. He's reliable in our own end especially in the corners. He gives his opponent a nice hug, and compliments a guy like Matty Norstrom when he goes and takes him out. He really settles the defenseman down back there on the blue, and were proud to select him as the #18th pick.
Do not take this man seriously! That's like taking Kuznetzov 1st overall!

two out of three*

And also we just traded our early 2nd and Dustin Brown to get the #19 pick.

And with the #19 pick in the draft the LA Kings select from the Toronto Maple Leafs, #8 Defenseman Aki Berg.

Press Conference:

Why did we do it? Pff. Just look at our blue line! We wanted to acquire Berg before anybody else did, and if that meant trading a B+ prospect, and a early 2nd where we would draft somebody better than so be it. Wait a minute... Damn.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
TiesRLikeWins4Us said:
And also we just traded our early 2nd and Dustin Brown to get the #19 pick.

And with the #19 pick in the draft the LA Kings select from the Toronto Maple Leafs, #8 Defenseman Aki Berg.

Press Conference:

Why did we do it? Pff. Just look at our blue line! We wanted to acquire Berg before anybody else did, and if that meant trading a B+ prospect, and a early 2nd where we would draft somebody better than so be it. Wait a minute... Damn.
OK, now we have to trade our 3rd for the rights to Vladimir Tsyplakov.

two out of three*

Reaper45 said:
OK, now we have to trade our 3rd for the rights to Vladimir Tsyplakov.

3rd.. We need a goalie now. Fiset.. All in agreement?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
dre said:
josefbalej picked the order based on goals scored. something a little different, awarding teams that score more goals good picks. i undertsand your point though since higher scoring teams are usually teams that win more games as well. but whats done is done and i am sure that he didnt do as a disrespect to kings fans so instead of pretty much ruining the whole point of the board-to-board draft why not pick a player for the hell of it.

I'm sure he didn't try to disrespect Kings fans either. Frankly though, we're not the only ones I'm concerned with. How is this fair to Carolina, Anaheim, or Columbus fans? Sure they don't have huge, vocal contengents here, but there's no reason why they shouldn't get a fair shake as well.

Fact of the matter is, this was poorly planned. As you said it was based on goals scored. When was the last time a poor team led the league in goals? Or even fewest goals allowed? I dare say never.

Since the way that this was set up allowed for the protection of three players, which teams do you think would have been able to protect the best overall players? The teams who scored the most goals, or the team that allowed the fewest? Right.

Then if you take into account who each team protected, and their relative skill level compared to the lower teams it starts getting absured. Most of the lower teams lack the depth at certain key postions that the top teams do. They have key holes that they need filled in order to be successful in the NHL. Yet, this draft rewards teams that have those key components? Makes no sense to me.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
TiesRLikeWins4Us said:
3rd.. We need a goalie now. Fiset.. All in agreement?

Is there a salary cap in this thing? I don't know if we can afford to draft a 20 mil a season goaltender like Fiset if there is. Oh, but what the hell. He's so worth it.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Legionnaire said:
Is there a salary cap in this thing? I don't know if we can afford to draft a 20 mil a season goaltender like Fiset if there is. Oh, but what the hell. He's so worth it.
No on teh Fiset thing, we need a stud goalie prospect Daniel Berthiaume, or Marcel Cousineau!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Legionnaire said:
I'm sure he didn't try to disrespect Kings fans either. Frankly though, we're not the only ones I'm concerned with. How is this fair to Carolina, Anaheim, or Columbus fans? Sure they don't have huge, vocal contengents here, but there's no reason why they shouldn't get a fair shake as well.

Fact of the matter is, this was poorly planned. As you said it was based on goals scored. When was the last time a poor team led the league in goals? Or even fewest goals allowed? I dare say never. .
i tried to speak up for my team and got dissed by balej and others. obviously this isnt set up for us, but we do still appreciate the work. i wouldnt mind being a gm, but whats the point? the canes will still suck after this draft. its fine though, its still a good idea - i just hate to see canes fans knocked for not participating, when its kinda tough with the setup. thanks for noticing, though

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
you know what this is really ridiculous.

tell me how would it possible to be 100% fair in a 30 team draft for all 30 teams?? are fantasy drafts never set up in any league?

anyways, thanks for killing the idea guys that many fans were enjoying.... we had also put in a lot of work on a new SIM league, with 3 people working on it to set up rules for a detailed league and a new website.

the idea was to use the mock draft as the rosters for the teams, but you guys have obvoiusly killed the idea of that if we want participation from all 30 teams.

Even if you didn't want to be involved in it, why disrespect the person who did put so much time into creating this... simply ignore the thread. but by officially boycotting it???

Tell me, since you guys are so much the champions of what's fair and good for everyone - you said that the rules were poorly done here - how would you create a draft which is fair for all 30 teams?? and keep in mind that you don't want the best teams in the league saying that it isn't fair, because after all they do have the best players in the league and draft like this would also hurt them most since they're also losing the best players.

anyways guys, this was designed to be a fun game for everyone... and 16 teams so far have had fun with this, making picks, trying to participate as a team, until of course we come to the Kings board.

for those teams this was still just a game... a game where like in any fantasy draft you have 30 participants that all have to fall in a different pick spot. we had hoped to create somthing bigger out of it, and get participation from the team boards on it - because I really believe that having fans from their own teams, running their own teams would be the best way to start a great SIM league. for those that didn't want to be a part of it, they could still have a say in putting together the best team they can.

but I guess there aren't people on this board that can really appreciate that, and instead need to thrash on someone who put so much time into setting this up for every board to enjoy.

thanks!

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
bleedgreen said:
i tried to speak up for my team and got dissed by balej and others. obviously this isnt set up for us, but we do still appreciate the work. i wouldnt mind being a gm, but whats the point? the canes will still suck after this draft. its fine though, its still a good idea - i just hate to see canes fans knocked for not participating, when its kinda tough with the setup. thanks for noticing, though

why is this not set up for you guys?

again every team needs to be in a certain spot... are you telling me that protecting 3 canes players and then being in a draft - a reversal draft at that, where you get 2 close picks together - isn't going to give you a chance at a stronger roster than you currently have on the Canes? the goal here is to try and get more balanced rosters for a SIM league after - so would those rosters be more balanced if we simply took the current NHL rosters, or actually gave teams a chance, through strategy, to build new ones through this draft?

again, how would you set things up to be fair to all 30 teams?? the fact that the draft is reversal shows that the idea is to try and be as fair as possible to all teams - but we're not living in a perfect world here, where there is a perfect solution for everyone.

honestly JB should just post on all the remaining boards to see which teams are still interested before proceeding - and teams like the Kings, and the Canes, if you guys aren't interested, we can just assign a GM from another board that would be interested in taking over the team.

that would save everyone a lot of b!tching about this, and we can continue with the game that was designed to be fun for all... most of all we don't need to hear comments about how this is designed to disrespect anyone and in the end disrespect the person who put their own time and effort into putting this together so that we can have something that all boards can share and enjoy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, as a Kings fan, I'm picking for real, and I'm picking Robyn Regehr -- again.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
go kim johnsson said:
Well, as a Kings fan, I'm picking for real, and I'm picking Robyn Regehr -- again.

aren't you a Flyers fan, and already voted on their board - for Regehr?

it looks like we've already got people interested in being the Kings GM so we don't have to bother about the Kings board here or have them involved...

wouldn't want to post things here that people here seem to be offended with and have a need to boycott anyways, so by the looks of my PM box, it looks like we've already got people interested in running the Kings and being their GM.

too bad really though... I was hoping we'd get participation from the fans here and have some of those fans form the Kings management team in SIM.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
nuckfan in TO said:
aren't you a Flyers fan, and already voted on their board - for Regehr?

it looks like we've already got people interested in being the Kings GM so we don't have to bother about the Kings board here or have them involved...

wouldn't want to post things here that people here seem to be offended with and have a need to boycott anyways, so by the looks of my PM box, it looks like we've already got people interested in running the Kings and being their GM.

too bad really though... I was hoping we'd get participation from the fans here and have some of those fans form the Kings management team in SIM.

So what do you say to Boston who has to wait 29 teams before making each pick? While front and end loaded teams can pick back to back or 5 or less teams apart? Come up with a better revolving order and it would work. Don't be dumb, come up with a better game and we'll play.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
How fair is it for Ottawa to protect 3 players and end up after those 3 picks in a similar situation as Atlanta with it's first 3 picks?
The good teams usually have 5-6 players they'd like to protect while the poor ones have 2 maybe 3, hence the better teams start off at a disadvantage.

Ottawa's already lost Alfredsson, Havlat and Redden. If we hadn't picked first it would have been completely unfair.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
KING ELVI said:
So what do you say to Boston who has to wait 29 teams before making each pick? While front and end loaded teams can pick back to back or 5 or less teams apart? Come up with a better revolving order and it would work. Don't be dumb, come up with a better game and we'll play.

either way it balances out... even teams that get to pick back to back are eventually balanced out.

you said you have to wait 29 picks before picking again, well you get an earlier pick for that... a team that gets back to back (1st overall or 30th overall) has to also wait a long time before their 2nd pick or their 1st pick. the compromise is that they get to pick back to back (or early together in the case of the 2nd, 3rd, etc or the 29th, 28th etc)... the balance will be there... I'm sure you've seen the reversal draft system before as it's used in a lot of fantasy games.

but don't worry about it... we dont' want to force people to play... and I certainly don't want to sit here trying to make those who are ready to boycott the game feel more comfortable. there are games we all don't like, and simply choose not to play - which you guys have made more than clear through the decision of a few here, that you have no interest in it.

there have already been PMs sent to me by people who'd be willing to take over the team as the rules already are... and we won't bother you by posting on this board about the picks anymore and simply have whoever takes over the team submit picks in and then run that team as the GM (or AGM or whatever) in the SIM league.

I don't want to stress everyone out... you don't like the game, fair enough... don't have to play. but it is too bad... we were hoping everyone could enjoy it.

anyways... there's no reason to continue arguing here... like I said the team slot will be filled, and you guys don't have to worry about participating in something you obviously have no interest in being a part of.

thanks for your time.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Ott = Snott said:
How was the order determined anyway? It's rather odd to see the top 5 teams all draft in the top 10.

order was determined by goals for... JB did the draft setup and I didn't particpate in it until it was decided we'd build a SIM league around it - which is my main focus. Jozef Balej is still running the draft which he created.

It's a reverse order fantasy draft... so teams that get the top picks in round 1 get the last picks in round 2, and so on and vice versa...

the thinking was that the teams that had the highest goals for, would also be the ones that have the most to lose in terms of overall depth... again it's not a perfect system, but one that does work as 16 other teams that have voted have shown.

anyways OS, if you and your Dallas board are willing to participate the discussion will be there as well as discussion threads (2) on the Mock Draft board already.. we should take discussion there if you're interested, rather than talk on a forum that doesn't want to be a part of it.

Vic Rattlehead*

This draft is screwed up. Thankfully on the Boston Board we have our own league going, and we are into a looong prospect draft, but it's fun as hell. :joker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad