Board advertising at Luzhniki Ice Palace in '72

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
One of the things about the '72 series that has always struck me as out of place was the presence of board advertising in Moscow. I recognize that board advertising in Europe has been a thing for a lot longer than in North American rinks, but having such a stark display of capitalism in the heart of communist Soviet Union was, in my mind, jarring. This is especially true given that most of the companies and products being advertised were at least more prevalent in Canada than in the USSR, and in some cases, probably not available at all. There were ads for CCM, Jockey, Catelli (IIRC), Husqvarna among others.

Has anyone seen any background about this advertising? My gut tells me that it was added specifically for the '72 series, but I don't know that for sure. I'm also curious how much money those ads might have cost.

Anyone have any insight into this?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Found it strange as well and looking back at it now, it gives a bit of a more modern look to those games

Have no clue how those board ads came to be. Would love more insight on it

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Any picture?

Summer Series were broadcasted to Canada and maybe also others countries around the World. Big publicity. Two best teams in the world playing many games. In Summer. No NHL, no other ice-hockey competition. Even people, who originally doesnt followed ice-hockey, followed this series.

Again. Maybe you will wonder, but it is (was) always about money. Also in hard communist regime, like it was in 70s in Soviet Union. Also this country was keen to see dollars. And if the companies paid, why not to have advertising for them?

Reactions: Tarantula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad