Confirmed with Link: Bo Horvat is the new captain of your Vancouver Canucks

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Bo has shown slow but steady progress as a NHL center and topped out at 61 points a year ago. My own concern is that the burden of the captaincy doesn't impact that improvement curve.

He'll probably never be an 80 point center, but a steady 60 points a season would be nice....and what the Canucks desperately need right now out of their second line center. That matters a lot more than the 'C' on the sweater.

I don't think his progression will stall at all, there are two very key things going for him. 1) age, he's still only 24, not in physical prime yet even 2) linemates, Bo will get his minutes out there for the next decade prettymuch guaranteed but the winger quality is a big factor.

I think he can become an 80 point center at peak

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think his progression will stall at all, there are two very key things going for him. 1) age, he's still only 24, not in physical prime yet even 2) linemates, Bo will get his minutes out there for the next decade prettymuch guaranteed but the winger quality is a big factor.

I think he can become an 80 point center at peak

I agree. Bo can also continue to round out his game. Jonathan Toews prior to his 81 point outburst last season had three straight seasons and producing under 60 points.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Excellent choice, and a very obvious one. Congrats Bo!

Already the best captain since Trevor and I'm not hating on Hank who is/was a class act always; he would be a very close second. He was certainly a better captain than I expected. I think Bo will be a terrific captain for us and, yes, unlike a surprising number of Canuck fans I think the captaincy of this team is very important. Lousy captains in the past have cost us dearly...

Reactions: moog35

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I agree. Bo can also continue to round out his game. Jonathan Toews prior to his 81 point outburst last season had three straight seasons and producing under 60 points.

I always thought Toews was a terrific captain; when Willie Mitchell knocked him into the middle of next week he simply picked himself off the ice (with apparent difficulty) went to the bench and continued to lead his team without whining about it... all the way to winning a Cup. Compare this to Naslund and weep...

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I hope this is the man that will lead us to the promised land.

It is not just the man, but the men around them. And their competition. If it was just one person we would have had a cup already. But I get what you are saying. Bo has the heart of a leader.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It is not just the man, but the men around them. And their competition. If it was just one person we would have had a cup already. But I get what you are saying. Bo has the heart of a leader.

will he be the man that will lift the Stanley cup!??? that's the question.

On average we have reached the finals once every 13.6 years. last time we were in the finals, was in 2011, 10 years ago. and prior to that was 17 years ago. We are exactly 10 years from the 2011 run. So what am I saying? I AM SAYING WE WILL BE IN THE FINALS WITHIN THE NEXT 4 YEARS!

But man... is he the man that will lift our first cup... I hope he is the guy.

Reactions: lousy

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Ok I'm not on the fence. I'm just being toxic.

Pq7xfa3.gif

Congratulations to Bo for getting the C.

And to MS's point, Bo was the only logical choice.

That Schneider trade... wow.

Gillis's Canuck legacy just keeps on growing.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Tried to do it himself a bunch in the third but couldn’t bury it. He really needs to be a presence on the ice but hasn’t been at all lately. Step it up Bo. Hit everything, smite those who hit your star players

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Hot take + bad take

What does he do as a leader? He doesn't even need to fight but he could show some damn emotion and play with a chip on his shoulder or at least call out the vets for not stepping up when the all stars are getting attacked. All I see him do is solo rushes and passing on any opportunity to play physical. He's basically Mason Raymond as a captain.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I can't remember a worse Canucks Captain. 3rd line skill, can't throw a hit and lets his all star teammates get abused because he's a coward.

He is 47th in scoring right now. Bunch of nonsense saying he has 3rd line skill. You are not happy with the loss. But please don't exaggerate.

Reactions: Indiana

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
He is 47th in scoring right now. Bunch of nonsense saying he has 3rd line skill. You are not happy with the loss. But please don't exaggerate.
To be fair though, 5 on 5 he's been atrocious this year. Half of his points have been from the powerplay. He's not making many primary assists. Definitely not the player he's been the last few seasons, I think just like Boeser this year, is benefiting a lot getting playing time with Petey and Hughes.

He was a more prominent play driver the last couple seasons. It's weird to see him get the C and then just stop hitting.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
To be fair though, 5 on 5 he's been atrocious this year. Half of his points have been from the powerplay. He's not making many primary assists. Definitely not the player he's been the last few seasons, I think just like Boeser this year, is benefiting a lot getting playing time with Petey and Hughes.

He was a more prominent play driver the last couple seasons. It's weird to see him get the C and then just stop hitting.

Nonsense

Horvat has 44 points, 11 of those came on the pp. Unless my math is wrong that is not half, it's 25%. Hugh difference.

Horvat had 27 assists, 17 of those are primary assists.

I know Canucks loss. Canucks fans are not happy. Please don't exaggerate. Not just in hockey, when people are not happy or upset about something. They say something that they don't mean. This is what happening right now.

Reactions: Indiana

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC

What

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Nonsense

Horvat has 44 points, 11 of those came on the pp. Unless my math is wrong that is not half, it's 25%. Hugh difference.

Horvat had 27 assists, 17 of those are primary assists.

I know Canucks loss. Canucks fans are not happy. Please don't exaggerate. Not just in hockey, when people are not happy or upset about something. They say something that they don't mean. This is what happening right now.
What are you talking about he got a point tonight hes up to 45 points on the season now, now less than a quarter of his points on the PP ffs :facepalm:

Reactions: Dave Lister

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
That's my bad, my statistic was from earlier in the season. Hadn't realized he's been that much better 5 on 5 lately.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
“It’s one of those things you have to be conscious of,” said Canucks captain Bo Horvat. “He (Pettersson) is such a big part of our team and we have to protect our top players. When you’re missing a guy like that, it’s a big hole in our lineup. You don’t always have to fight, but a little pushback and some physicality will do us well. I think we have that.”

Canucks Post Game: Pettersson shows some frustration, Ferland offers up some hope

He sounds like Gudbranson. Actions speak louder than words!

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
He's never hit and his hit totals this year are identical to last year and every other year of his career.

If hitting is a measure of how good a captain he is you must have LOVED Markus Naslund, the man who couldn't throw a check into a bank machine...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad