Blue Jays Discussion: Bo Bichette is pretty good at this whole "baseball" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
It doesn't reflect well on management that they weren't able to get anything for this player at the deadline. And no idea what the point of just waiving him now is.
Of all the deadline moves this is the one with the least viability in criticizing management. If they were somehow negligent in determining Galvis had no value at the deadline, don't you think someone in the AL would have claimed him for nothing off waivers? He passed through more than half the league when he was free.

Keeping him around would mean they either had to, a) play him more than they'd like at the expense of Bichette/Biggio, or b) sit him and piss off a respected vet. And for what? Since no one wanted him now he probably wouldn't fetch anything of value in the winter. Doing what they did allowed him to go somewhere he can play and the Jays do right by a veteran player, which absolutely does affect the perception of the team when it comes to FAs. The next Freddy Galvis will be more likely to sign here if he knows he won't be stapled to the bench instead of sent somewhere he can play if things go horribly.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I've been okay with what Shapiro & Atkins have been doing, but boy, the Astros trade, and waiving Galvis are baffling to me.

The Astros trade still makes me shake my head. If you have read the book Astroball by Ben Reiter, it becomes clear when the Astros came sniffing around Sanchez the Jays should have run in the other direction.

It's a great book. I finished reading it on the weekend and it goes into the advanced, advanced technology and techniques the Astros use to look at pitchers and how their information led them to identify Verlander, Cole and Morton as distressed assets that their system could turn around.

Reactions: Kurtz

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The Giants got Scooter Gennet for cash considerations and Gennett had 4.5 fWAR last season, which is double what Galvis has ever had in one season. Do you really think there was a market for Galvis?

If we wanna dump on management today the question of why Sanchez couldn't change his pitch mix here like he is in Houston would be a much more logical complaint.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I heard about this in the car after lunch and was baffled as well. One thing I wondered: is this a waiver trade without the actual trade? As in, the Reds wanted Galvis (I'm not familiar with their roster, do they need him right now?) and spoke to the Jays and Toronto said: "We'll put him on waivers and if he gets to you, you can have him, in exchange for a prospect this winter." And the Reds agreed.

Seems like a longshot to me, but not impossible. It's more likely this is a cost saving/open up a roster spot kind of move and nothing more.
Highly unlikely as a large number of teams could have claimed him off waivers before the Reds could claim him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
19 teams passed on Galvis for free. Only really the Reds, Giants, Brewers and Phillies had use for him. Reds and Giants have no incentive to trade for him and Galvis' 1.4 WAR isnt much better than Iglesias 1.2 WAR so i dont really see the fit with the Reds.

So it comes down to the Brewers and Phillies. Thats a poor market to sell in.

It's probably a better market than giving him away for nothing, no?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
but maybe yes?

They owe him... like... $2 million, assuming they were going to buy him out, on a payroll north of $110 million. I'm not a big fan of this move, but there are enough valid reasons for it before you get to financial considerations.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Highly unlikely as a large number of teams could have claimed him off waivers before the Reds could claim him

Well yeah, that was the risk for the Reds in not making a deal for him (or someone else) earlier. That's why my post included the Jays saying: "if he gets to you, you can have him..."

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It's probably a better market than giving him away for nothing, no?

Those are the only teams that MIGHT have a spot for him, doesnt mean the WANT to trade for him.

Giants just let Panik go for free. Angels let Lucroy go for free. Braves let Gausman go for free. Texas let Cabrera go for free.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
The bottom line is pretty simple: Galvis was replaced by a better player in Bichette. We can make all wax poetic about him "helping the kids" until the cows come home, but the reality is simple: the Jays had no need to be paying a back up player that kind of money. They can roll the rest of the season with Vladdy, Bichette, Biggio, Drury and Smoak as the infield.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
It doesn't reflect well on management that they weren't able to get anything for this player at the deadline. And no idea what the point of just waiving him now is.
Please. Management could trade Galvis for Trout and people would still bitch about management here. The “fans” on here and nauseating with their hatred for management. This is easily the best management team this team has ever had and it will reflect that in the next 2 years. Unfortunately this fan base is annoyingly impatient and extremely short sighted.

Reactions: NeverGoingToWin

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The kid is good.

Not sure where his FIPs will end up after today, though they're likely improved nicely from his 3.21 and 2.78 coming in. But at least we know that this outing dropped his unsightly 6.23era all the way down under 4 to 3.95.
early times, but he may be our #1 prospect and a top-25 guy overall.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
This thread is hilarious. There's like 5-6 responses to something that regardless of agreeing to the original point; make sense.

Then there's like 5 or 6 people who chime in and completely ignore all of the factual information posted directly before them in some need to just be negative.

If ALL of the AL passes on a free waiver player, then clearly that player doesn't have much of a demand.

Imagine we traded galvis for "cash considerations" or something, i imagine the response to it would be around the same, so what's the difference?

Play the kids.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I've been happy with the Stroman trade since it happened, but I think we'll end up as the winners of the deal.

Kay had another very good outing for Buffalo again last night.

Also, Rowdy Tellez seems to be doing well since being sent back down to AAA.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Please. Management could trade Galvis for Trout and people would still ***** about management here. The “fans” on here and nauseating with their hatred for management. This is easily the best management team this team has ever had and it will reflect that in the next 2 years. Unfortunately this fan base is annoyingly impatient and extremely short sighted.

Really?

Better than Pat Gillick who built the team from the expansion era into a two-time World Series winner that was a solid contender every year from 1983 to 1993?

These guys are better than that group?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Not sure where his FIPs will end up after today, though they're likely improved nicely from his 3.21 and 2.78 coming in. But at least we know that this outing dropped his unsightly 6.23era all the way down under 4 to 3.95.
early times, but he may be our #1 prospect and a top-25 guy overall.

Do you think he has a higher upside than Pearson?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This is easily the best management team this team has ever had and it will reflect that in the next 2 years. Unfortunately this fan base is annoyingly impatient and extremely short sighted.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad