GDT: BNL's GDT

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
I tried the no name beer.
For a cheap beer, I liked it.
Better than Lucky lager and a tier below PBR.
So if you buy some & don’t like it, don’t get mad @ me bro...just leave the other 23 cans on your porch & I’ll pick em up ;)

it's just cheap beer - good call - worst part was carrying the bright yellow case to the cashier lol

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
it's just cheap beer - good call - worst part was carrying the bright yellow case to the cashier lol

I like that the can lists the ingredients: water, hops, barley, yeast.
Some other cheap beers don’t, so you never know what’s in there, or not in there.
I’m also assuming that the ingredients in no name beer are likely sourced from Canada, so i like that as well.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I like that the can lists the ingredients: water, hops, barley, yeast.
Some other cheap beers don’t, so you never know what’s in there, or not in there.
I’m also assuming that the ingredients in no name beer are likely sourced from Canada, so i like that as well.

Odd that a no name beer wouldn't use cheap sugar as a source.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
All this talk about beer and I forgot that I had a beer advent calendar. It is Dec 1. Time to hit the fridge and try Dec.1

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
All this talk about beer and I forgot that I had a beer advent calendar. It is Dec 1. Time to hit the fridge and try Dec.1
My wife got me one of those years ago. Some were pretty good. Others tasted like death in a bottle.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I couldn’t find one I liked so I went to the local liquor store and bought 24 singles and had my girlfriend randomize and tape numbers onto them

There is a really good German one that comes out about mid November and sells out fast. I got one of those this year. Still your idea is awesome, I will do that for January.

My wife got me one of those years ago. Some were pretty good. Others tasted like death in a bottle.

Yea, some winners and some losers in every alcoholic advent calendar.

The first beer was called Hell aus Rosenheim. Fitting that in 2020 December starts in Hell. A nice light lager, very fresh and went down nice.

Beers are always better in my Iron Maiden freeze mug.

FBD15365-43DB-4A60-80F2-433857F7375D.jpeg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Second beer is called Fürst Carl Kellerbier. Hell was better but still a good brew. I want to go to Germany again now. Oh well at least I can travel there with my tastebuds.

December’s only GDT score is 2-0 so far.

4DB2EBEB-4C14-4A93-9E15-B51FAA210A20.jpeg

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I tried the no name beer.
For a cheap beer, I liked it.
Better than Lucky lager and a tier below PBR.
So if you buy some & don’t like it, don’t get mad @ me bro...just leave the other 23 cans on your porch & I’ll pick em up ;)

For cheap beer try River Valley. It's Liquor Depot's "store brand", but is actually contract brewed for them by Big Rock. I would say it's on par with a PBR at a lower price (and much better than Lucky Lager or the like).

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
There is a really good German one that comes out about mid November and sells out fast. I got one of those this year. Still your idea is awesome, I will do that for January.

Yea, some winners and some losers in every alcoholic advent calendar.

The first beer was called Hell aus Rosenheim. Fitting that in 2020 December starts in Hell. A nice light lager, very fresh and went down nice.

Beers are always better in my Iron Maiden freeze mug.

View attachment 377852
nothing more metal than a freezer mug

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For cheap beer try River Valley. It's Liquor Depot's "store brand", but is actually contract brewed for them by Big Rock. I would say it's on par with a PBR at a lower price (and much better than Lucky Lager or the like).

I think the PC Beer is also brewed by Big Rock. I didn't know that about River Valey as well, but have tried that one as well. They are fine beers to enjoy outside camping by a fire, or environments that you're likely drinking faster and having more than a couple.

That said, if I'm cracking a beer to enjoy on a Friday night at home with my wife, I'm definitely buying something tastier.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I love trying out new beers, especially from other countries. What store did you get those from?

I got the German beer advent calendar mid November from Keg N Cork on the south side 99 st and about 40 something ave. Great place for beers and spirits. They told me they ordered 30 and I bought mine on day 2 after they received them and they were already down to 12 left. I’ve had others in past December and the beer selections are usually all great!

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

I think it’s a River Valley Kolsch I tried last month and is really good.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Day 3 is a Wittmann Urhell. I must say an evening in Urhell is as good as one in Hell from Day 1. Another winner, GDT is 3-0 and we are not even close to the end of the first period. This could be a serious flavour ass kicking for December.

Picture includes a Christmassy poinsettia today to get everyone festive.

IMG_4938.jpeg

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Day 3 is a Wittmann Urhell. I must say an evening in Urhell is as good as one in Hell from Day 1. Another winner, GDT is 3-0 and we are not even close to the end of the first period. This could be a serious flavour ass kicking for December.

Picture includes a Christmassy poinsettia today to get everyone festive.

View attachment 378030

Thats a great idea.

Although....I did used to cheat and eat all the chocolate on day 3.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Today a dark beer - Swonister (?) Steinbier Dark Special a 5.6.. Great flavour and another nice beer! 4-0. DekemberFest just keeps getting better and Calgary still sucks.

DEABE2E8-5444-4FE7-A76F-D613CA2AC894.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->