OT: BMIPH Finals! First playoff series win vs. Fisher's 3 OT goal

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
Seems pretty obvious that it won't prevail at this point, but I give the nod to Fisher's 3OT goal. Although, to be honest, I think that the real magic happened in Game 6 against the Ducks earlier in the playoffs. The Predators just broke the nastiest spell that had plagued them for the three previous games. Winning seemed completely impossible, and I'm sure everyone remembers that feeling of impotence watching a team that just could not score, getting out-skated and ground into a paste along the boards, and backed by a goalie who just wasn't gonna steal us any games. The home crowd was clearly disgusted; it hurt to watch a home team get jeered by their own crowd in the playoffs, but at the same time, things felt so hopeless that the abuse was almost justifiable as tough love.

Then the dark clouds just parted all of a sudden. In an away game, too. That's the most excited I've ever been watching an away game. You just knew in that moment that the Ducks didn't have a chance, after they'd been playing with their food for so many games in a row. It was like the tortoise and the hare. I've never felt cockier as a Preds fan -- the Ducks just weren't gonna touch us.

Fisher's 3OT was an extension of that same magic to me. I remember watching, funny enough, the Ducks with J.S. Giguere during their Cinderella year and being in awe of those marathon games and miraculous wins at the end of double-length games. The drama of every save, every call, every shot, every-thing. I'd always wanted a Predators game like that -- a real playoff epic that played out on the ice like The Iliad or something. I got it.

Sorry for all these sappy, over-long, nostalgic posts, folks. Not much hockey in the Land o' the Risin' Sun. Man, now I got that Animals song stuck in my head.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
(takes the stairs up to my soapbox)

From the beginning of this whole thing I've been pretty picky over the meaning of a true "moment" (ex. Legwand playoff goal) and something like a turning point (ex. Subban for Weber trade). The difficulty in this one is it has a true moment versus a relatively specific moment which is also a turning point at the same time.

So yeah, this is way, way harder than I thought it would be. I voted for both of these moments in each poll they've been in. I haven't even voted yet as I'm typing this so I don't actually know where the poll stands (even though I think I know). That said, I tend to be partial to actual goals so part of me leans towards the Fisher goal, but I still might sway my own vote the other way by the time I'm done with this. People can brush it off per se because it was the most recent thing and it's maybe easier to vote for it but that's not how I see it. For the entire history of our franchise I've seen all these other teams get to do things I get envious of. Before Game 4 against the Sharks I could hardly imagine what it was like to win a triple overtime game at home in the playoffs. Unfathomable how I would react if that happened to us if I was there to see it, which I was in this case. Now I'll never forget it. Sure it's nothing for a lot of other teams because they've had years and years to experience these things but for me I never had before. Everyone knew the series was over if we lost that game and not only did we win it, but we won it in a way our team had never seen. Sure we lost the series in the end but this amazing game...which many called the best game of the postseason...ended on an amazing moment, abruptly, in front of an incredible crowd that had been standing for hours, not knowing how it would end.

Of course, since I'm partial to goals, when I think of the Anaheim series win I think of Weber tying it in improbable fashion in Game 5, Smithson winning it, and then the Legwand empty netter to close it out. All unbelievable moments, and to that point culminated in the greatest moment in franchise history.....key words, to that point. I knew though, at least in my mind, that at some point down the road we'd experience something even more memorable and more exhilarating which would take the title of best moment in Preds history.

Although I'm sure I'm in the minority, I believe that moment came at 1:03 AM on May 6, 2016 from Mike Fisher with help from Mattias Ekholm. So with that, after several days of way too much thinking, I'm deciding to vote for Fisher, and now I am totally conviced that the very very very close second best moment was beating Anaheim. Either way it goes (again, maybe it's a blowout vote since I haven't seen the results yet), one of the best two moments IMO will win the title.

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
For the franchise, we needed to get to round 2. I've been to every home playoff game and every time it was an OT...we lost. I needed to see an OT win at home. I was certainly giddier after the OT win...I just couldn't believe we'd won. I was walking on air after the first series win, but I EXPECTED to win it. So it seems counterintuitive, but as a "moment in Nashville Predators history" I chose the series because of what it meant for the organization as a whole. I feel like it helped keep my team here to win that series. I'm glad that the 3 OT win was the last game we saw at home last season instead of the next game. That was NOT "a" moment...it was 60 minutes of torture. ;-)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
For the franchise, we needed to get to round 2. I've been to every home playoff game and every time it was an OT...we lost. I needed to see an OT win at home. I was certainly giddier after the OT win...I just couldn't believe we'd won. I was walking on air after the first series win, but I EXPECTED to win it. So it seems counterintuitive, but as a "moment in Nashville Predators history" I chose the series because of what it meant for the organization as a whole. I feel like it helped keep my team here to win that series. I'm glad that the 3 OT win was the last game we saw at home last season instead of the next game. That was NOT "a" moment...it was 60 minutes of torture. ;-)

Actually the last game we saw at home was the 1OT game with Arvidsson's GWG when he just flipped it on the backhand. But I know what you mean.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I get your point, but that's pretty much the exact reasoning that led me to say the OT goal was the best single thing in the moment and the first part of what you said leads me to say that the series win was our greatest turning point. Our team needed the Ducks win to get over the first playoff hump, but I take the sudden and unpredictable euphoria of the goal to mean greatest moment (in the purest sense of the word). But don't get me wrong, to me if the Fisher goal was a 9 out of a possible 10, the series win was an 8.9.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Actually the last game we saw at home was the 1OT game with Arvidsson's GWG when he just flipped it on the backhand. But I know what you mean.

Oh, yeah. You're right. Duh, nobody home. Ha!

Those two games are all muddled up in my mind at this point. I was watching a recap of it on NHLN and honestly forgot that parts of the 3OT game were in that game and not in a previous game. :laugh: Ah, it's great to be old...there are all sorts of new dimensions of time.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
For me, there is no question. Fishers 3OT goal was the Best Moment in Predators history.

The sheer joy of winning that game was incredible. The highs and lows of the entire game, from being ahead, being down, tying the game, the sharks disallowed goal, Weber's penalties, our disappointing power plays. They all led to that one glorious moment. The exhaustion of the players and fans, the post game show and the goal call were all also part of that moment.

Fisher's goal is one where people talk about where they were when he scored.

(takes the stairs up to my soapbox)

From the beginning of this whole thing I've been pretty picky over the meaning of a true "moment" (ex. Legwand playoff goal) and something like a turning point (ex. Subban for Weber trade). The difficulty in this one is it has a true moment versus a relatively specific moment which is also a turning point at the same time.

So yeah, this is way, way harder than I thought it would be. I voted for both of these moments in each poll they've been in. I haven't even voted yet as I'm typing this so I don't actually know where the poll stands (even though I think I know). That said, I tend to be partial to actual goals so part of me leans towards the Fisher goal, but I still might sway my own vote the other way by the time I'm done with this. People can brush it off per se because it was the most recent thing and it's maybe easier to vote for it but that's not how I see it. For the entire history of our franchise I've seen all these other teams get to do things I get envious of. Before Game 4 against the Sharks I could hardly imagine what it was like to win a triple overtime game at home in the playoffs. Unfathomable how I would react if that happened to us if I was there to see it, which I was in this case. Now I'll never forget it. Sure it's nothing for a lot of other teams because they've had years and years to experience these things but for me I never had before. Everyone knew the series was over if we lost that game and not only did we win it, but we won it in a way our team had never seen. Sure we lost the series in the end but this amazing game...which many called the best game of the postseason...ended on an amazing moment, abruptly, in front of an incredible crowd that had been standing for hours, not knowing how it would end.

Of course, since I'm partial to goals, when I think of the Anaheim series win I think of Weber tying it in improbable fashion in Game 5, Smithson winning it, and then the Legwand empty netter to close it out. All unbelievable moments, and to that point culminated in the greatest moment in franchise history.....key words, to that point. I knew though, at least in my mind, that at some point down the road we'd experience something even more memorable and more exhilarating which would take the title of best moment in Preds history.

Although I'm sure I'm in the minority, I believe that moment came at 1:03 AM on May 6, 2016 from Mike Fisher with help from Mattias Ekholm. So with that, after several days of way too much thinking, I'm deciding to vote for Fisher, and now I am totally conviced that the very very very close second best moment was beating Anaheim. Either way it goes (again, maybe it's a blowout vote since I haven't seen the results yet), one of the best two moments IMO will win the title.
Great post.

When I think of the Anaheim series, I also think of Weber tying the game in game five. I really remember the fans cheering and waving towels at the faceoff and when Weber scored, the towels just dropped.

Winning game 6, and the series, was incredible. I remember lots of hugging and tears in eyes. But, the emotions, that sudden release, when Fisher scored were on another level.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
When I think of the Anaheim series, I also think of Weber tying the game in game five. I really remember the fans cheering and waving towels at the faceoff and when Weber scored, the towels just dropped.

I remember I had been watching the game sitting on the floor with my eyes covered til we tied...then I watched the overtime and...that was just incredible. At that moment I knew in my heart we were going to win the series. We just HAD to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad