BM Q&A at Summer Beach Party

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Can you elaborate on the part about Silf’s contract and losing him for nothing?

I wasn’t there but my guess is it’s the common thing with other impending ufa’s. Murray doesn’t like entering a season with a key player having their contract about to expire. See Kesler, Fowler, Henrique, etc.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Can you elaborate on the part about Silf’s contract and losing him for nothing?
He mentioned specifically about how Beleskey walked for nothing after the season. How sometimes it was a necessary thing but that if it keeps happening it weakens the team long term. Likely a message to Silfverberg that he will be gone before or at the trade deadline if he doesn’t sign an extension beforehand.

Last edited:
Reactions: KelVarnsen

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I wasn’t there but my guess is it’s the common thing with other impending ufa’s. Murray doesn’t like entering a season with a key player having their contract about to expire. See Kesler, Fowler, Henrique, etc.

So another Palmieri situation. Trade him for picks because he can't re-sign him. Although the Ducks did a get a good prospect in Larsson, it hurts losing an every day first/second line player.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Beleskey. Who we did end up losing for nothing.
I know somebody who was working for the Ducks/Honda Center at the time of Beleskey's free agency. The person told me the Ducks were very cautious about re-signing him because apparently he was spending way too much time bulking in the gym and not working on his flexibility, making him a huge injury risk. Luckily it turned out in our favor.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
So another Palmieri situation. Trade him for picks because he can't re-sign him. Although the Ducks did a get a good prospect in Larsson, it hurts losing an every day first/second line player.
They didn't get Larsson out of any Palmieri trade. The highest pick they got was a second rounder, which turned into... Nattinen?

Reactions: la patineuse

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
So at least it didn't turn into nothing until we let Perron walk. That was a bad decision.
Agreed, but he was held hostage by the RFA status and hardball being played by Lindholm and Rakell. Losing one of those two to a Penner style offer sheet would have been a much worse decision.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Beleskey. Who we did end up losing for nothing.
Given how Beleskey played since he left the Ducks, losing him for nothing was a positive. My memory was that the rumor was that the Ducks offered Beleskey four years at $4 million per year and his agent rejected it. Beleskey then signed with Boston for five years for $3.8 million, had one sort of acceptable year with Boston and then went downhill straight into the AHL. That contract makes the Bieksa contract look almost reasonable and the Beleskey contract still has two years to run.

As for Perry, we shall see what happens. I doubt that they will sit him for many games, if at all. But they may bite the bullet and either trade him with a large retention or simply buy him out if he doesn't produce. I think, however, that is more likely after two more years, not after just one. They certainly don't want to keep him if he is not productive at the time of the Seattle expansion, since with his no movement clause they would be forced to protect him instead of a more useful player.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Lol just get rid of Perry.

They clearly are done with him. Ownership, BM, all of them are tired of the guy. Time to bite the bullet and move on. I love the guy but it's really obvious the team needs to just go in another direction. Another 3 years of this shit is starting to look real long.

It's not even all about his performance, they are just so clearly bitter about his work ethic.

Reactions: snowave
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Given how Beleskey played since he left the Ducks, losing him for nothing was a positive. My memory was that the rumor was that the Ducks offered Beleskey four years at $4 million per year and his agent rejected it. Beleskey then signed with Boston for five years for $3.8 million, had one sort of acceptable year with Boston and then went downhill straight into the AHL. That contract makes the Bieksa contract look almost reasonable and the Beleskey contract still has two years to run.

That kind of post-hoc analysis is disingenuous. We weren't selling 2018 Beleskey back then.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
1. Montour - will go to arbitration and get 2 year deal.

2. D corps - one of young Swedes will be here. Fowler healthy and playing golf daily. Schenn has experience, only 28, gives team an edge which is still needed. Sustr comes from a team that plays fast, need to play fast. Rowney brought on for same reason.

3. 1 year deals signed to make sure players hungry and so as not to block young guys.

4. Perry - is he doing anything to work on speed? “I sure hope so”. He hopes and thinks Perry has realized he’s an age where he needs to work on offseason. Coaches have been mandated every player has to play the right way or be Becker. Everybody.

1. Shame that they couldn't agree long-term. I just hope that this 2-year deal doesn't take him straight to UFA status...?

2. One of Larsson/Pettersson being there is at least a start. I just hope Welinski will get a chance, too. Bolded part - are you ****ing kidding me, Bob? Sure, Schenn might have "experience" and "edge", plus he has size and decent mobility, but his hockey IQ is almost Bieksa-level terrible. Sustr could be a better player, but his skating doesn't convince me -- good thing he was brought in from a fast team, that sure helps us become faster too... :help:

3. Good thing he randomly brought Rowney in on a 3-year deal. ****ing moron...

4. I've heard this story of "accountability" too many times before. I'll believe it when I see it.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Silfverbergs situation was foreseeable, it all will come down to money. Let's see what he will get. I'm more afraid about Gibson. Does he want to stay here, what's his demand and can he stay healthy.

It's great that they make room for Kase.

Sustr and Schenn are no blocker if a young D is better. If not we have some depth to handle the position.

I don't like the situation around Monty. Hoped for a longer deal but it is like it is. He will get paid in two years.

Do they rate Roy over Kossila? Looks so.

Jones LOL

I hope Rodin makes the team, like him a lot.

Perry on the other hand, I don't think he will do a lot in the summer. I wish he would have Keslers work ethnic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad