Half-Assed GDT: BluVWild

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The Blues can out-talent bad teams, so they’ll still win a lot of games. But they’re not a consistent threat against playoff caliber teams. Not night in night out. And I can’t tell you what they’ll do to change that.

I could see Armstrong work a deal for a goalie, or change head coaches. I would be content to see either one play out. But this team looks like a group of players that need to hear a different voice, amd probably not a friendly one.
Indeed. Think about it from a player morale standpoint. You pretty much know that Allen and the defense is going to give up 4 goals a game. As a player, it has to be tough to be in the mindset that you have to score 5 to win the game. If the other team locks you down, the frustrations will mount as they always have that 4 number in the back of their minds.

A new voice in the room setting up a new system is probably needed the most.

Reactions: Bendak

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Indeed. Think about it from a player morale standpoint. You pretty much know that Allen and the defense is going to give up 4 goals a game. As a player, it has to be tough to be in the mindset that you have to score 5 to win the game. If the other team locks you down, the frustrations will mount as they always have that 4 number in the back of their minds.

A new voice in the room setting up a new system is probably needed the most.
The defence doesn't just consist of dmen. The forwards have been equally as bad at providing nhl level two way play. We have pretty much the same talent, so my assumption is primarily the system and the failure to adjust the game plan when teams adjust to exploit our weaknesses, thus the games seem to keep falling apart as the games go on.

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Blues patterns of failure: 1) lack of intensity after a 4 day break, 2) lack of intensity on home ice = yet another home ice loss. Lots of empty seats for a Saturday night game. The Wild played a full 60 minutes even with the lead. Glad to see Fabbri back and skating well.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The defence doesn't just consist of dmen. The forwards have been equally as bad at providing nhl level two way play. We have pretty much the same talent, so my assumption is primarily the system and the failure to adjust the game plan when teams adjust to exploit our weaknesses, thus the games seem to keep falling apart as the games go on.
We used to have a coach that would scream "buy back space" to the forwards when they didn't come back to help us out on breakouts. If we saw the names on the sweater and not the crest, we knew we would be in for a long game.

You are right, coaches have figured out Yeo's breakout system and can pressure the defense as the forwards have already turned and headed out.

Reactions: Bendak and TruBlu

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Blues patterns of failure: 1) lack of intensity after a 4 day break, 2) lack of intensity on home ice = yet another home ice loss. Lots of empty seats for a Saturday night game. The Wild played a full 60 minutes even with the lead. Glad to see Fabbri back and skating well.

We’re only a few weeks away from looking lazy after too many off days to looking too tired after too few off days.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
We used to have a coach that would scream "buy back space" to the forwards when they didn't come back to help us out on breakouts. If we saw the names on the sweater and not the crest, we knew we would be in for a long game.

You are right, coaches have figured out Yeo's breakout system and can pressure the defense as the forwards have already turned and headed out.
I am not sure if you mean the bolded is good or bad. In my mind, it is not only good, but it is also essential. If I was the coach, I would be benching any forward that failed to help out the defense when the play goes the other way.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I am not sure if you mean the bolded is good or bad. In my mind, it is not only good, but it is also essential. If I was the coach, I would be benching any forward that failed to help out the defense when the play goes the other way.
It was the right was to play the game. It would drive our coaches nuts if the forwards wouldn't come back to help out the defense and break up ice as a unit. That is why he would yell to "buy back space" as they knew what that meant.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I wasn't able to watch this particular game, but I agree completely that the team's defensive struggles this year have had a lot to do with the play of the veteran forwards.

Reactions: Bendak and simon IC

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

The lack of support has been glaring at times.

Assuming a simple "up," I've always thought it was ideal to have the strong-side defenseman and winger supporting the play along the boards, with the center (or weak side winger if the center is trapped in deep) supporting closely through the middle of the ice. The weak-side defender either acts as a hinge or "over" option depending on how high the play is in the zone, or he can more aggressively exploit the weak side if a suitable passing lane develops.

The weak-side winger has a lot of options. He can either fly the zone early on a shallow angle (stretching the defense vertically and presenting a home-run option), or work ahead through the middle towards the strong side boards on a more pronounced angle presenting a number of options along the way while also supporting the play if the puck needs to be chipped ahead either to him or through him into the zone. He can shade toward the middle staying relatively even with the play, ready to support defensively if there's a turnover while trying to find a weak-side passing lane to present himself as a passing option...a more conservative positional option, but also one that applies far less pressure to the other team. I've never really been a fan of just sending the weak-side winger flying down the ice in his vertical lane.

The Blues have had their moments exploiting the weak side, but the strong-side play and support through the middle of the ice often leaves a lot to be desired. I wish I knew how much of the blame for that lay at the feet of the players, and how much to lay at the feet of the coaches. It's almost impossible to tell just from watching, but it's clearly a problem that needs to be addressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->