OT: Blueshirt Underground Radio with HF's own Mike Farkas Tonight 6/14/16 7:30 PM EST

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
decent listen...i'll say this...2 hours is just WAY too long of a show...i feel like an hour is more than enough.

just my 2 cents.

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
l listened as well. i thought the volume that it was recorded on was a little bit too low - had trouble hearing it on the train even at max volume

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i appreciate the feedback and thanks for listening. I thought Mikes take on advanced stats was interesting.

they certainly are. i really liked the interview. i do disagree with his general dismissal of the stats and preference for the eye test, but i understand it. i too love the eye test...but i really do put a lot of weight in the advanced stats, and tbh the more i read about them, the more stock i put in them...not just for their predictive nature, but for their ability to back up what i am seeing with the eye test..

my eye test said the rangers in the first 15ish games of the season were a team destined to fall off a cliff...i stated as much in a post on this forum and the general consensus was that im an idiot. the advanced stats said basically the exact same thing...

so i like them when they agree with my eye test...and when they disagree with my eye test i wonder what it is that i see that the stats disagree with...makes you think further about the way you evaluate players.

ill also say that i totally agree with mike on his assessment of skjei in the sense that, he didnt wow me nearly as much as other people..but ill also say that his assessment that the lack of a step forward in skjeis offensive game was a sign that his development stalled.

some defenseman just arent offensive in nature... skjeis defensive game was always going to be his calling card. i think Skjei will be an excellent 2nd pair defenseman in this league.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I think he is right about teams using their own advanced stats to evaluate things. You just have to wonder what some of those stats were saying about Girardi, because Corsi hated him and the eye test agreed. I hate it when defensemen slide around the ice to break up plays. The more they do it, the more it means that the guy was either out of position or just beaten on the play. Girardi looks like he is on a slip'n slide most games.

I think his take on things is accurate. I liked his assessment of Buchnevich. Fans just need to realize he is not going to be crashing boards on defense. He will be patiently waiting to pounce on mistakes. Datsyuk was like that. Picking pockets, not throwing checks. If Buchnevich is crashing boards, we are not using him correctly. In the NHL, the best defense is a good possession offense. I think he will help with that.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
That was a very interesting interview. Great show, Eddie! I wanted you to ask him about Gropp because Leslie didn't know much about him.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
l listened as well. i thought the volume that it was recorded on was a little bit too low - had trouble hearing it on the train even at max volume

It was low for me too. I had to listen carefully with the ear buds. My phone wasn't nearly loud enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad